Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-07-2020, 11:47 PM   #31
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: What's the highest skill level you've ever had for a PC or NPC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Is this NPC someone who's spent her entire 6,000 year existence training Knife skill, looking for new challenges and innovating in the field of how to disembowel humans with sharp edges?
She's part of the universe's immune system, a crusader who protects the weak against the strong. She's killed a lot of petty gods over the millennia, and taken parts of their power, quite a bit of which she's spent on skills.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 01:08 AM   #32
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
So, what's the highest skill level you've given to a PC or NPC? Could produce some fun stories.
PC, up to Thaumatology-46 by the end of the campaign, someone who essentially invented secular magic in her setting. Literally the only "Mage" (as opposed to "Priest" or "Shaman") in her world until she started teaching others.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 01:28 AM   #33
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
So, what's the highest skill level you've given to a PC or NPC? Could produce some fun stories.
Highest PC skill? Hmmm. My gods game where one of the PCs took Blade! at 44. She couldn't really be stopped once she started.

Highest NPC skill? My superhero campaign AEON - the hero Nemesis has his Justice power skill at 48. His use of powers was just brutal.

Callouts:

The Commander (Doug Cole's character from AEON) had a Stealth of 33 and had maxed out the Disappear technique. He was Batman America basically.

The Autumn's Daughter - a goddess from my Aersalus gods campaign. She had most spells at around 30 thanks to a Cosmic Modular Ability pool and high attributes.

Ronan A. M. Sloane - the Saint of Murderers. A ghost with a Gun! skill of 30. One of the most dangerous beings in my Ceteriverse.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 03:32 AM   #34
weby

The characters best base skill without buffs, and in most eases the second best too, in the current campaign are in the 38-44 range, Those skills all being wildcard skills. Thief!, Melee!, Bard!, Science!, Psi!, Sword!, Humanities!,Face!, ...

They then also have access to several kinds of good Buffs.. with -70 rolls being possible for all of them.. and by trying hard enough they have managed several -100 to -105 tasks.

The campaign is now up to above 4000 points after 9 years and 372 sessions of 6-10 hours.
Old 02-08-2020, 05:18 AM   #35
Devil_Dante

i usually use "prerequisite" in roder to unloack some "more than human" stats (still talking about DF campaign).
So, if you want to reach ST 17 as human, you have to reach a certain score in some parameters. That practically means you ar emore than human
Devil_Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 05:24 AM   #36
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil_Dante View Post
i usually use "prerequisite" in roder to unloack some "more than human" stats (still talking about DF campaign).
So, if you want to reach ST 17 as human, you have to reach a certain score in some parameters. That practically means you ar emore than human
In a general sense, I do that in D&D-esque campaigns.

In the specific sense, ST 17*, however, is well within human norms. Real people, on actual Earth, can lift, carry, push and drag the weights consistent with ST 17, not to mention draw bows and throw stuff distances implied by ST up to 20 or so.

The other Attributes might fairly be capped somewhere well below 20 for a realistic human, but ST goes to around 20, even in a strictly realistic game.

*Other than the way GURPS handles ST-based damage, which is a legacy issue that is not really consistent with the measurable benchmarks of ST in terms of other physical feats.
Old 02-08-2020, 05:41 AM   #37
weby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
In the specific sense, ST 17*, however, is well within human norms. Real people, on actual Earth, can lift, carry, push and drag the weights consistent with ST 17, not to mention draw bows and throw stuff distances implied by ST up to 20 or so.

The other Attributes might fairly be capped somewhere well below 20 for a realistic human, but ST goes to around 20, even in a strictly realistic game.

*Other than the way GURPS handles ST-based damage, which is a legacy issue that is not really consistent with the measurable benchmarks of ST in terms of other physical feats.
This old discussion... :)

If you use more of the GURPS rules: Lifting skill, extra effort and similar then realistic ST is actually not that high.
Old 02-08-2020, 05:45 AM   #38
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
This old discussion... :)

If you use more of the GURPS rules: Lifting skill, extra effort and similar then realistic ST is actually not that high.
lifting skill is not realistic. That there is a skill to lifting, that's realistic, but the implementation in gurps is not.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:44 AM   #39
AlexanderHowl

I agree, it is too random. Now, if Lifting Skill replaced Lifting ST and HT for lifting purposes, then it would be an adequate representation of reality. A character with Lifting-25 would then have a BL 125 lbs for lifting stuff.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 08:06 AM   #40
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I agree, it is too random. Now, if Lifting Skill replaced Lifting ST and HT for lifting purposes, then it would be an adequate representation of reality. A character with Lifting-25 would then have a BL 125 lbs for lifting stuff.
If that Lifting Skill is indepedant of body weight it won't be realistic.

Tags
skill, skills