Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Card Games

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-13-2011, 07:10 AM   #1
mib5150

Default Illuminati: Less is more!

Ok, I've got an idea. Three weeks ago I was away on a holiday on the Canary Islands. Two gamers attended as well so I took the opportunity to teach them Illuminati. I brought my original edition Illuminati from 1982, since it is small and portable. They loved it!

When teaching them the game I realized how this small Illuminati edition with 54 half-size cards felt much easier and faster to show than my fully expanded Deluxe Edition from 1999, which carries both the Y2K- and BFD-expansions.

So, my idea is to test demonstrating Deluxe Illuminati with the same cards as the original edition from 1982! Just 54 cards, adding the cards from original expansions, and Y2K and BFD, at will.

Now I have spent the day dividing my Deluxe Illuminati into the original, expansion 1 and expansion 2 decks. One thing bothers me, tho. Not all cards from the 1982 edition are available in the Deluxe edition. Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow replaces Mad Scientists and KGB replaces Smersh. They carry the same stats so that is no problem. I also took the Reformed Church of Satan from the BFD, but it's half a millimeter too wide so you always know where that card is in the deck. >_<

The following cards are missing and I have yet to find cards that could work as replacements:

* Basic set:
Elders of Zion (P:3, R:7, I: 4; Fanatic)
Fred Birch Society (P:1, R:4, I:0; Conservative Straight)
Wargamers (R:5, I:1; Weird) - I could use Gamers, but the stats are a little bit different)

* Exp 1:
Fifth International (P:4, R:7, I:2; Communist, Conservative)
Hairdressers and Interior Decoraters (R:7, I:2; Peaceful Weird)

* Exp 2:
Joggers (R:2, I:2)
Preppies (P:0/2, R:8, I:4; Conservative)

Anyone who have ideas what cards I can use as replacements, or shall I use the blank cards to create these cards?

I'll get back in my reports how this experiment works out. Thoughts? Ideas? Has it been done before?

A question for the SJG-officials lurking here: Can I present card lists over my "Deluxe Less Is More" decks here in the forum?

Last edited by mib5150; 11-13-2011 at 09:50 AM.
mib5150 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bfd, illuminati, sanyo seiki, y2k