Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 12-26-2017, 02:45 PM   #1
smathers

Default Malakim Oaths

Can anyone recommend a good thread or resource for Malakim Oaths? I'm just looking for some ideas that I can use for NPCs or if a player decides to play a Malakite.
smathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:40 PM   #2
gusty737

Default Re: Malakim Oaths

Quote:
Originally Posted by smathers View Post
Can anyone recommend a good thread or resource for Malakim Oaths? I'm just looking for some ideas that I can use for NPCs or if a player decides to play a Malakite.
Cooper's Blog Liber Neglecta has Oaths for Malakim based on the virtues & sins. If you're looking for "canon" oaths you'll need to do some more digging since specific superior's oaths are only listed in the Superior Books. Sinful Oaths are based on the variant idea of Malakim that make oaths to serve Hell instead of Heaven so if you're looking for Malakim Enemies you'll probably want to check that article. Some of the Homebrew Superior Write-ups also have Oaths for "lesser" superiors like Marc & Jordi. (Correction: Marc has expanded Oath, but not Jordi. If you're using Jordi-based Malakim you'll probably want to improvise an Oath based on the 2nd Superior that "Owns" the Animal Malakim. I'd also suggest Jordi "share" Virtues if you're planning on using lots of Animal Malakim.

Last edited by gusty737; 12-30-2017 at 06:16 PM.
gusty737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:21 PM   #3
smathers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusty737 View Post
Cooper's Blog Liber Neglecta has Oaths for Malakim based on the virtues & sins.
Thanks! I'll check it out.
smathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:54 PM   #4
Cooper

Quote:
Cooper's Blog Liber Neglecta has Oaths for Malakim based on the virtues & sins. If you're looking for "canon" oaths you'll need to do some more digging since specific superior's oaths are only listed in the Superior Books. Sinful Oaths are based on the variant idea of Malakim that make oaths to serve Hell instead of Heaven so if you're looking for Malakim Enemies you'll probably want to check that article. Some of the Homebrew Superior Write-ups also have Oaths for "lesser" superiors like Marc & Jordi. (Correction: Marc has expanded Oath, but not Jordi. If you're using Jordi-based Malakim you'll probably want to improvise an Oath based on the 2nd Superior that "Owns" the Animal Malakim. I'd also suggest Jordi "share" Virtues if you're planning on using lots of Animal Malakim.
I'd probably base a Malakite of Jordi's vows on protecting animals and their habitat (or at least not interfering with them). Also as Jordi's "wolves" they probably have some common vows dealing with the good of the pack (party), or with establishing a hierarchy.

For Marc's vows, I'd look for something focusing on the ideas of fair exchange.

For Jean, something about keeping technology that humanity is not yet ready for out of their hands (or nurturing humans to pursue scientific advancement in a responsible manner).

For Novalis, the pacifism angle is always possible, but I'd probably go for something like spending a certain amount of time nurturing/appreciating a garden/bonsai/&c - or maybe something silly like "don't tread on the grass."

Christopher would be interested in defending children and/or going after those who harm them. This could be a physical defense, but it could also be an injunction against letting children see the Malakite shed blood.

The rest actually have Superior books with formal suggestions.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:32 PM   #5
gusty737

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
For Novalis, the pacifism angle is always possible, but I'd probably go for something like spending a certain amount of time nurturing/appreciating a garden/bonsai/&c - or maybe something silly like "don't tread on the grass."
The Fallen Malakim of Lawns Children must stay off of? Oh, wait Fallen Malakim aren't canon. ;)
Old 01-08-2018, 08:22 PM   #6
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
The Fallen Malakim of Lawns Children must stay off of? Oh, wait Fallen Malakim aren't canon. ;)
Who says that's a fallen Word? Teaches children discipline and respect for others ... or at least to be more subtle and cautious in entering strange territory. :)

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:35 PM   #7
cptbutton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
Who says that's a fallen Word? Teaches children discipline and respect for others ... or at least to be more subtle and cautious in entering strange territory. :)
Did Beleth Fall in the first cut? I am imagining a Malakim of Archangel Beleth who never fell or signed on with another Archangel, but still serves the Word of Fear of Stuff Dangerous to Kids. That is, fear that keeps kids safe from danger. Approves of PSAs about toddlers drowning in buckets, Stranger Danger, etc. Suspected by Dominic of having improper relationships with Ethereals, i.e. the Closet Monster and Monster Under The Bed.

Might have a Excessive Worry Discord.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:22 PM   #8
gusty737

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
Dark Malakim aren't canon In Nomine angels or demons. They're a Homebrew band of infernals that treat heaven as the "true" evil and swear oaths to sin instead of virtue. Dark Malakim don't change their oaths or words but instead reinterpret them to fit within infernal society. So a sword wielding Dark Malakim might interpret an oath to never draw their sword on an innocent to mean not using the blade if a kid is in the area, but attack any Malakim they see since the Malakim aren't innocent but guilty for letting their "partner" fall.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:03 AM   #9
Cooper

Because of this thread, I've started writing up more specific vow suggestions for Malakim who do not have such listings elsewhere.

So far I've suggestions for
Over the next month or so I'll also be posting ideas for

Last edited by Cooper; 03-08-2018 at 08:00 PM.
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
malakim