Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-25-2015, 05:15 AM   #1
davidtmoore

Default Vulnerability (Symptoms) and Weakness (Side Effect)

Hey all,

So I'm working on a 4th Edition Vampire the Masquerade conversion (as we all do from time to time), and while tackling the thorny "staking" problem came up with what I thought was a rather elegant solution, which can be extended to constructing endless other nondamaging vulnerabilities. I thought I'd share.

Quote:
Vulnerability
p. B161
Not all vulnerabilities amount to attacks being more lethal. Myths are full of creatures that are weakened, incapacitated or confused by certain weapons.

Vulnerability (Affliction)
Variable
Rather than taking additional damage from a particular form of attack, you suffer some form of affliction or other inconvenience. The effects occur when you take a certain amount of damage, and subside when you are healed back above that threshold.
The base value of this disadvantage is -5 points for a Rare attack, -10 for an Occasional attack, -15 for a Common attack and -20 for a Very Common attack. Use the categories under Limited Defenses (p. B46) to assess rarity. The GM has final say on the rarity of an attack form.
Modify the base value for the severity of the effect and the damage threshold at which it occurs, using the Symptom attack enhancement (p. B109).

Example: Vampires from Nosferatu-6 are rendered unconscious when wooden stakes are driven through their hearts, rather than killed outright. The blow must inflict at least 1/2 HP in damage. This is a Rare attack form, worth a base -5 points. Unconsciousness is usually worth +200% as a Symptom enhancement, doubled to +400% due to the damage threshold. In total, this disadvantage is worth -25 points.

As with Vulnerability, you cannot have Vulnerability (Symptom) to anything against which you have a specific defense. Unlike Vulnerability, this disadvantage doesn’t limit Supernatural Durability (p. B89); it is possible for a specific attack to weaken you without killing you.
Under the Hood: This is based on the Vulnerability disadvantage, assuming that a x2 damage multiplier is equivalent to a +100% attack enhancement, a x3 multiplier to a +200% enhancement, etc. The equivalance isn't perfect, due to armour etc., but it's a good rule of thumb.

Similar logic applies to Weaknesses, using Side Effect rather than Symptom (as you can't use the damage threshold):

Quote:
Weakness
p. B161
As with Vulnerabilities, Weaknesses aren't always damaging. Some creatures are rendered unconscious or otherwise afflicted when in the presence of their bane.

Weakness (Affliction)
Variable
Rather than taking damage from a particular substance or circumstances, you suffer some form of affliction or other inconvenience. The effects occur when you are exposed to the item or circumstances, and wear off over time: stunning wears off normally, while other effects last (20 - HT) minutes, minimum 1 minute. If Incapacitation is combined with other effects, the other effects last for another (20 - HT) minutes after the Incapacitation wears off.
The base value of this disadvantage is -1 points for a Rare item or condition, -2 for an Occasional item, -4 for a Common item and -6 for a Very Common item. Use the categories under Weakness (p. B161) to assess rarity. The GM has final say on the rarity of an item or circumstances. Modify the base value for the severity of the effect, using the Side Effect attack enhancement (p. B109).

Example: Pwca become nauseated in the presence of Christian religious symbols or objects. These are Common objects, worth a base -4 points. Nausea is worth +80% as a Side Effect enhancement. In total, this disadvantage is worth -7 points.
Under the Hood: This is reverse-engineered from Weakness and Nocturnal (p. B146). "Daytime" is clearly Very Common, tripling the value of a harmful Weakness (putting the base value at 1/3 of [-20], or [-7], more or less). As a Side Effect, Unconscious is worth +250%, putting the base value at -2 (for an Occasional item) before enhancement and tripling.

What do people think? Is my working sound?

Last edited by davidtmoore; 03-26-2015 at 02:56 AM.
davidtmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:07 PM   #2
Wavefunction

Default Re: Vulnerability (Symptoms) and Weakness (Side Effect)

I have nothing to add other than to congratulate you on a very well thought-through concept.

I don't currently know what I'd use either of these for, but considering my penchant for overly complex characters I'll almost certainly use them for something.
Wavefunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:48 PM   #3
Christopher R. Rice

That's quite clever. Vulenrability is a bit fiddly, but not unwieldy. Overall, I like it. It's going in my house rules. I wish I had seen this for an article I just submitted, it'd be perfect for it.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:55 PM   #4
Anthony

I'd do VtM vampiric invulnerability as Unkillable 2, Achilles Heel (fire, sunlight, claws and teeth of supernatural creatures, etc; -50%), Hindrance (Wooden Stake to the Vitals, -5%), Trigger (requires blood to come out of torpor, -15%) [30]. That said, this does seem like a reasonable enough idea.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:24 PM   #5
davidtmoore

Cool, so broad approval then. Thanks!

Although on reflection I think they might be better renamed Vulnerability (Affliction) and Weakness (Affliction).

Last edited by davidtmoore; 03-26-2015 at 02:53 AM.
davidtmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:24 PM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtmoore View Post
Cool, so broad approval then. Thanks!

Although on reflection I think they might be better renames Vulnerability (Affliction) and Weakness (Affliction).
Aye, that might be better.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote