Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-24-2018, 03:59 PM   #1
dataweaver

Default Paying Attention

I'm thinking of doing a variant of Action Points from “the Last Gasp”. The idea is: instead of splitting Fatigue into Long-Term and Short-Term Fatigue, the Short-Term Fatigue rules get reinterpreted as “Attention Points”, based off of Perception and representing a sort of mental energy reserve: the mind can only process so much information at a time, and the expenditure of Attention Points represents literally “paying attention” to what you're doing.

So what sorts of tweaks to the Action Points system would be needed to implement this idea?
Old 10-25-2018, 08:03 AM   #2
Pursuivant

Default Re: Paying Attention

Fright Checks and Distractions might subtract action points unless you can roll vs. Will.

Advantages which aid clarity of mind or perception, such as 360-Degree Vision, Compartmentalized Mind, Extra Tracking, or Visualization might grant action points, perhaps 1 extra per +5 points of advantages.

Enhanced Time Sense multiplies action points by level of ETS.

Disads which interfere with your ability to concentrate or process data quickly like Absent-Minded, Confused, or Short Attention Span might subtract action points.

Possibly allow Will to be used as Extra Effort" to gain extra action points.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:49 AM   #3
Plane

You could call them "Attention Span Points" just to form a different initialism than Action Points. They could default to the sum of HT and Perception and Will, so avg person would start with 30, and FP costs are converted into 5 ASPs so a mage could cast 6 FP worth of spells before needing to recollect, or burn FP to restore ASP (a short of adrenaline sharpening the focus)

Instead of a HT roll, roll v meditation (at default if not had) by taking a Concentrate maneuver and recover ASP equal to MoS, you can take All-Out Concentrate to get a bonus to the roll.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:59 AM   #4
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Perception points: PerPs

Sorry, that was just a crime.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:56 PM   #5
Black Leviathan

I feel like there could be a simplified way to represent this. Maybe a -1 Penalty to Observe or Per checks for each hour you've been on watch, or maybe every two hours? Maybe you get a bonus penalty for being less than half of your fatigue pool? Just call it a distraction penalty.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:57 AM   #6
Plane

GURPS Powers mentioned somewhere about losing 1 FP per hour of continuous use of a power, and I think Last Gasp created more regular intervals of penalties resulting from FP loss but I can't remember if it included IQ, I just remember something along the lines of 10% ST per 10% FP which was cool.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote