Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-18-2017, 11:28 PM   #9
Daigoro

Default Re: [Game] Collaborative world building for DFRPG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
Question 18)
What kind of threats has the city as a whole had to contend with in the past?
Invasions, curses, monsters, natural disasters, mad leaders?
How did the city deal with the problem?
"What kind of threats has the city as a whole had to contend with in the past? Invasions, curses, monsters, natural disasters, mad leaders? How did the city deal with the problem?" the elf-girl asked.

"What do you mean by that?" asked the grizzled barkeep, eyes narrowing, one hand dropping to the iron-sheathed baton behind the counter. "Sounds like you *want* trouble to come to our faire city..."

"No, no, no! Nothing like that at all! I'm just genuinely curious!" she protested.

"Seems to me, it's people like you," he said, eyeing the 10' pole propped against the bar, and the hooded lantern next to it, "who either cause such troubles in the first place, or look to make a tidy profit from fixing them up."

"Leave the lass alone, Merzzy. Does it look like she'll be atop the city gate fighting off Ragor, King of the Fire Giants, next week?" At the end of the counter sat a half-orc woman who herself looked like the veteran of a dozen such battles. "Tip me a glass of sherry, gel, and I'll fill you in, eh?"

With a nod from the elf and a coin pressed to the countertop, Merzzy grunted and furnished the veteran with an overflowing pint glass of chocolatey liqueur.

"Truth be, Merzzy's got the right of it. We get some brand of trouble or other here almost every month, and the city regiment is almost always useless against it. Lucky for us, pretty much every time, there's a band of roving strangers, a team of plucky adventurers or a posse of well-armed passers-by who step up and take care of things. The council pays 'em out a massive reward, then they wander off to some other town that needs saving. Meanwhile, the local stonecutters' guild also hits up council for a lord's ransom to fix up all the damage... just in time for the next catastrophe!

"And there's been plenty. Let's see, this past year we had...
... the 8th Orcish Rampage under Jungard the Horrible. He was bested in a personal duel by a passing Nort'ward Berserker.
... the Siege of the Dinomen. A team of passing mages drew them away and over Half-Mile Bluff.
... the Demonmoss Plague. Overnight, whole town was covered in a black moss, choked anyone who sat still for two minutes. A squad of holy knights slew the Gray Witch Harriotty and lifted her curse.
... the Summer of Flowers. Four separate assaults in one season, from the Petunia King and his Goblin Warhorde, the Wyvern of Roses, the Fell Knight of Tulips, and the Rise of the Revenant Army of the Jasmine Empire."

"Actually, the Rise of the Revenant Army of the Jasmine Empire was more like last autumn. Was during the apple harvest," interrupted Merzzy while he leaned back against the gin shelf.

"Eh, same diff. It's still called the Summer of Flowers, innit? Anyway, you just missed the Chaos Rift, lassie, last week," continued the half-orc, pondering the now dry bottom of her glass. "Some kind of cross-dimension storm-slash-portal spewing out insane magicks opened up right above the Pantheon Basilica. Lucky for us, a ragtag bunch of wandering treasure hunters slipped through and patched things up with the Entity With No Name Or Title and things got back to normal by Midwinter Threeday... Hey, where'd she go?"

The elf's stool stood empty, 10' pole and hooded lantern likewise gone, and the tavern door was slowly swinging closed.

"I think you scared her off, Ol' Wennie. Don't worry but, she should be back after she's levelled up. We might need her to fend off next month's Glass Dragon raid."

"Was that next month?" replied Ol' Wennie the Half-Orc Championess. "I thought we was due for the Ravenous Six Lich Hellpit Demon Host of Ancient Krong'g next month."

"Nup. They changed their schedule to after the rainy season starts. They thought the thick pools of mud would be more atmospheric."

"Fair 'nough, I can see that. Got another sherry for me then, Merzzy?"

----

Question 20
Where can soldier or martial artist types go to get some skill-up packages in the city (which is still unnamed)?
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!

Last edited by Daigoro; 04-18-2017 at 11:33 PM.
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dfrpg, dungeon fantasy, game