Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 07-13-2014, 05:33 AM   #21
ak_aramis

Default Re: atypical campaigns for typical settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
So SW storm troopers bringing down the empire without magic Jedis at all?
Trusted officers of the Reich... in the Totenkopfverbande. Yes, my players chose to protect the resistance by "lethal interrogations"... and by finding non-resistance group threats to turn over to higher authority.

It was probably the single most disturbing campaign I ever ran.

One of them was a Psionicist... Sturmbannfürer Martina Hemmler.
One was an interrogator... Obersturmfürer Grieger Auschwitz.
One was a mad scientist... a Hauptsturmfürer Jan Dietrich.
One was an italian, Joey. Officially, Grieger's houseboy.

They did, eventually, convince the Fürer to publicly admit the error of the death camps and religious oppression, promulgating a new edition of Mein Kampf, and purging a bunch of SS officers for various crimes. It was a repeat of the Beer Hall Putsch... but amongst the senior SS.

It was, in many ways, Star Wars without Jedi. But there are psionicists.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:08 AM   #22
(E)

Ran a Dark Horde Campaign. all the PC's were members of the "dark" races, a light hearted game, From memory the PC's didn't have one single fight with a member of the "light" races and probably killed more orcs, goblins, trolls, giants, dark elves and necromancers than any saintly hero could ever hope to.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:27 AM   #23
Gold & Appel Inc

Similar to Above: CousinX@Here did a game for a little bit called Heavy Metal Album Cover Evil in which we all played crazy, flamboyant TL 3 Fantasy Badasses who were more-or-less Very Bad People, trying to overthrow a Good-But-Oppressive-Empire. I played the Half-Ogre Scholar who was physically-massive but probably the least personally-dangerous guy in the group, more-or-less in charge of the big offensives because he had Intuition and could fake Strategy, in DF terms. It was totally fun and I wish it would continue.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:39 PM   #24
Dalillama

Delver's Burden: It is manifestly our gods-given destiny to bring civilization to the poor, benighted dwellers in the dungeons and caves, and shine the torch of Empire in every corner of those trogldytic realms! In the name of King and Country, go forth and conquer!
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:03 PM   #25
Jariel

Zombies Masters:
In a zombie apocalypse game the PC's are Zombie Masters, people with the ability to control zombies. The PC's use this power to "capture" and "train" zombies to fight in the various battle arenas throughout the world. Think Pokemon with zombies instead of creatures.
Jariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:31 AM   #26
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.

Spiritual Guides:
I have once thought about running a campaign where the players are spirits following
some NPC with the hability to grant him rerolls or fumble his enemies roll. like his guarding angels.

They would have to ocasionally go do other spirit duties, and maybe they would watch over
several different people with a somewhat limited pool of resources.

There would be all kinds of interactions in the spiritual world, with towns,
different dimensions and even investigations.
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:40 AM   #27
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by D10 View Post
Spiritual Guides:
I have once thought about running a campaign where the players are spirits following
some NPC with the hability to grant him rerolls or fumble his enemies roll. like his guarding angels.
A Transhuman Space scenario that I really ought to write one of these days would have a hapless NPC human being advised and guarded by a group of PC AIs (his sunglasses, his jacket, his wig, and so on).
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:03 PM   #28
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
A Transhuman Space scenario that I really ought to write one of these days would have a hapless NPC human being advised and guarded by a group of PC AIs (his sunglasses, his jacket, his wig, and so on).
There's a short story along those lines I read once. The title had something to do with bees. It was about a severely disabled (downs or a downs like syndrome) person and the AI assistants that helped him function.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:15 PM   #29
LemmingLord

High School: CarWars for the win. You know there will be a bicyclist with his gunner in tge handlebars right? Sweet!!

Some friends ran a legendary game I somehow missed call Mages of I84 that was Car Wars Magic.
LemmingLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:28 PM   #30
ladyarcana55

I've always liked the comedic type of campaigns to offset the serious stuff. A couple have ran with a couple of friends...

D&D only the players were the dragons and the dungeon crawlers were termites digging tunnels through their home and causing problems. The other denizens of the dungeons were pets.

1960's Austin Powers inspired Spycraft. I'm talking super campy, to the point where the players were aware of the cameras following them. They had to be very wary of their appearances and mannerisms 'on camera'. Every so often a random dance number would break out and every entrance had intro music.

At a club one agent to another club go-er about one of the go go dancers:

"Oh my gosh...who is that glorious black goddess?"

"Oh, that's Glorious Black Goddess, but everyone calls her Gloria. And that's her sister, Super Hot Mama, but you can call her Susan"

Last edited by ladyarcana55; 08-03-2014 at 07:31 PM.
ladyarcana55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, settings