Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-08-2014, 04:19 PM   #1
GodlessRose

Default [LT] Reinforced Flexible Armor?

If a (normally) flexible textile or leather armor is reinforced (LT105), is it still flexible?

I'm wondering because, if so, reinforced armors can be layered over each other (LT103). So, for instance, a poor warrior might wear two reinforced padded cloth coats, taking a -1 DX penalty in exchange for DR 4 against cutting, and DR 2 against everything else.

I can't find a rule saying flexible armors become rigid when reinforced, so by RAW, this looks kosher. But it seems odd.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:16 PM   #2
Tyneras

Default Re: [LT] Reinforced Flexible Armor?

Looks like they stay flexible, but at a fairly serious weight penalty and non-negligible cost.

Edit: Hmmm

2 reinforced padded cloth coats, -1 DX, DR 2* (4 vs cut), 16 lbs, $125.
Pretty decent if you aren't worried about the -1 DX.

Last edited by Tyneras; 06-08-2014 at 05:24 PM.
Tyneras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:11 PM   #3
GodlessRose

Yeah, I started thinking about this because I was writing up some loadouts for fantasy warriors of limited means, for the benefit of new players who don't enjoy shopping. I require all PCs to stick to the 20% limit on starting cash spent on adventuring gear, something I picked up from PK's house rules. I'm generous in what counts as adventuring gear, but still, players have to be frugal.

I was also thinking about loadouts for bandits and such, so they could be a challenge in combat, but not drop a lot of valuable gear for the party to loot.

Which led to considering options like layered, bezainted, padded cloth armor.
GodlessRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:29 PM   #4
Tyneras

If you're not worried about weight, a layer of straw armor is the cheapest in $ per DR. And being non-metallic, it can be reinforced too.

Flammable Fred's Discount Armor
DX-2, DR 4 (7 vs cut), 41lbs, $187.50, Flammable!
Consists of 2 reinforced padded cloth coats and a reinforced straw coat.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:45 PM   #5
Dustin

I see no reason why they wouldn't stay flexible enough to layer. Reinforced padded cloth is indeed one of the best armors for DR per $.

Rather than stack two though, I believe reinforced medium leather is almost the same cost and weight as your proposed double layer jacket, provides DR 2 (3 vs cut) which is nearly as good without the DX penalty.

I think the DX penalty will matter more to modest skill types like your typical bandit or militiaman, since their effective skills often hover around 9-12 where the bell curve means that -1 has bigger impact than if it brought them from, say, 15 down to 14.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:07 PM   #6
Tyneras

I started making a list of under $200 chest armor, but I realized there were so many combinations that you should just pick what seems plausible for the area.

Now I wanna outfit a bunch of zombies with straw armor. Douse them in oil then send them at the enemy for big flaming hugs!
Old 06-08-2014, 10:58 PM   #7
GodlessRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyneras View Post
If you're not worried about weight, a layer of straw armor is the cheapest in $ per DR. And being non-metallic, it can be reinforced too.

Flammable Fred's Discount Armor
DX-2, DR 4 (7 vs cut), 41lbs, $187.50, Flammable!
Consists of 2 reinforced padded cloth coats and a reinforced straw coat.
Heh. I was thinking of adding straw, myself. But I was just going to add a partial breastplate covering half the chest. Like a large mirror plate, but, of course, not very shiny. That way it wouldn't add to the DX penalty, but would protect the vitals, like a pectoral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
I see no reason why they wouldn't stay flexible enough to layer. Reinforced padded cloth is indeed one of the best armors for DR per $.

Rather than stack two though, I believe reinforced medium leather is almost the same cost and weight as your proposed double layer jacket, provides DR 2 (3 vs cut) which is nearly as good without the DX penalty.

I think the DX penalty will matter more to modest skill types like your typical bandit or militiaman, since their effective skills often hover around 9-12 where the bell curve means that -1 has bigger impact than if it brought them from, say, 15 down to 14.
Good point. I wanted to stay away from basic leather, though, since it's weak against impaling. But layered leather is only a little more expensive. Maybe that's the way to go.
GodlessRose is offline   Reply With Quote