Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-12-2016, 11:12 AM   #1
Humabout

Default How to Be a Good GURPS Player

I just read this article over at Geek and Sundry and nearly stood up and clapped in the middle of the classroom building. Even if it is aimed at That Other Game, it translates directly to GURPS. I just wanted to share this and ask if anyone has anything else to add to the list of advice?

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:19 PM   #2
christ0pher

Default Re: How to Be a Good GURPS Player

Thanks! I just casually shared that with my group. :)

christ0pher
You reach out to push the orc off the ledge.
[Dice roll. Critical Failure!]
But instead, lightly caress his back.
The orc is uncomfortable.
christ0pher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:59 PM   #3
Nymdok

Yeah I might add a few....

Some days the dice exalt you. Even when you do everything 'wrong' a friendly dice bounce can buoy bad decisions. Share that wealth with the party by sharing loot. Share that wealth with the GM by enjoying the heck out of it.

Some days the dice kill you. Even when you do everything right. Be prepared for this and realize its nobody's 'fault'. Mourn your dead. Offer to help GM for the rest of the session. Suggest your group find a rez spell and dont be grumpy when they sell your stuff wholesale to bring you back.

Bring me only homework that is at LEAST half-finished. If you want an ad/spell/imbuement/skill that doesnt exist, then at least have a REALLY good idea of what you want it to do. That will help me create it. Like wise for story arc ideas.

Nymdok
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:32 PM   #4
Boomerang

The knowing the rules part is an important issue for our group. All of my players are newbies and I have just switched to 4e so I am effectively learning the rules as well. I am surprised how many small changes there are between editions. One of the players has memorised a huge chunk of rules, which is a big help.
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:56 PM   #5
Pseudonym

http://lookrobot.co.uk/2013/06/20/11...er-roleplayer/
I really liked this one.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:36 PM   #6
whswhs

It's nice if players know the rules, but I don't think it's all that important. I have had exceptionally brilliant players whose rules knowledge was only adequate, and acceptable players who barely knew the rules at all. I still have players who have trouble finding things on their character sheets, but who contribute to games.

Two things that I think are big for "contribute":

They get into character and roleplay the person they've imagined, and do so in such a way that the other players can appreciate what their character is thinking and feeling; they bring them to life in play.

They care about the game being fun for everyone (this is in the article you linked to, and it should be).

I also appreciate players who constantly test themselves by taking on different roles and playing different characters, but that's a bonus.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:41 PM   #7
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
A lot of people have that thing about not having sexual things happen on camera. I've rarely followed it, and my players are so accustomed to R- or X-rated play that when I ran a Tolkienian campaign, I felt I had to say up front, "Everything between the first kiss and the birth of the first child will be off camera." So I don't think this is something that merits getting prescriptive. If it doesn't work for your players or your campaign, don't do it.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:52 PM   #8
Boomerang

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
It's nice if players know the rules, but I don't think it's all that important. I have had exceptionally brilliant players whose rules knowledge was only adequate, and acceptable players who barely knew the rules at all. I still have players who have trouble finding things on their character sheets, but who contribute to games.

Two things that I think are big for "contribute":

They get into character and roleplay the person they've imagined, and do so in such a way that the other players can appreciate what their character is thinking and feeling; they bring them to life in play.

They care about the game being fun for everyone (this is in the article you linked to, and it should be).

I also appreciate players who constantly test themselves by taking on different roles and playing different characters, but that's a bonus.
One of the advantages of GURPS is that players can contribute without knowing the rules because the system is reasonably realistic and intuitive. My players have a strong D&D background so they often just ask me: what can I do according to the rules? Because that is how they are used to playing.
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:59 PM   #9
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
One of the advantages of GURPS is that players can contribute without knowing the rules because the system is reasonably realistic and intuitive. My players have a strong D&D background so they often just ask me: what can I do according to the rules? Because that is how they are used to playing.
That's my experience with GURPS also. But it's also mostly true of Big Eyes Small Mouth, and to some degree of FUDGE, and I found it possible with oWoD games as well. All of them have some general sense of narrative flow, even if the styles of the narratives are diverse.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:33 AM   #10
Pseudonym

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
A lot of people have that thing about not having sexual things happen on camera. I've rarely followed it, and my players are so accustomed to R- or X-rated play that when I ran a Tolkienian campaign, I felt I had to say up front, "Everything between the first kiss and the birth of the first child will be off camera." So I don't think this is something that merits getting prescriptive. If it doesn't work for your players or your campaign, don't do it.
You are right, and I think that's what he is saying too. He says his group doesn't do it because his group finds it uncomfortable. He doesn't say "don't do sex things."