Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 01-18-2015, 07:32 PM   #11
tanksoldier

Default Re: Marine ceremonies and uniforms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
You can wear a tux more than once. I've worn mine more than once.
You may have. I doubt Prince Harry has... but he's likely worn his mess dress uniform more than once.
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:44 PM   #12
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
You may have. I doubt Prince Harry has.
Well, you may be right, but I would have thought that he had a number of dinner suits and that he wore one or other of them at least four or five nights of most weeks. Mess dress is not suitable at non-Mess dinners, and his Windsor uniform is only worn at Windsor Castle. A DJ is what he's going to wear to most evening engagements.

This looks to me like a different occasion from this. And then there is this. And this.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 01-18-2015 at 07:58 PM.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:58 PM   #13
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
The Navy Commander's uniform for Archduke Norris is much less expensive than the tux he would wear to a formal event, and he would only wear the tux once.
If the prices are analogous to the prices for tuxes and uniforms I just googled, the uniform is about five times as expensive.

And why would he only use the tux once? I never heard of that being a requirement for royalty.

I do know that if any of our (the Danish) royals discarded several tuxes per week, our tabloids would have something to say about Royal profligacy.

And if he did discard his tux after only wearing it one time, why wouldn't he do the same to his uniform?

Hans

Last edited by Hans Rancke-Madsen; 01-18-2015 at 08:04 PM.
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:00 PM   #14
Flyndaran
Untagged

I have no idea how, or even if, it bares any similarity to reality, but I saw an episode of N.C.I.S. They mentioned how illegal it is for a non-officer to so much as buy a dress sword.
I imagine protocol might make such things more overt with pomp and circumstance in high tech environments where simple reproductions might easier.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:04 PM   #15
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Sure, with ultra-tech manufacturing methods uniforms and tuxes and dress coats alike may be dirt cheap. I'm not sure any of the equipment lists deal with clothes in any but the most general terms.

Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:08 AM   #16
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I have no idea how, or even if, it bares any similarity to reality, but I saw an episode of N.C.I.S. They mentioned how illegal it is for a non-officer to so much as buy a dress sword.
I imagine protocol might make such things more overt with pomp and circumstance in high tech environments where simple reproductions might easier.
Or maybe all officers swords are simply made in a specific fashion.

I don't remember that episode. It sounds off; it is perfectly legal for even civilians to own a sword. It would make more sense that they would not be allowed to wear it in a context that might imply impersonation(perhaps by extension they cannot buy a sword from a navy-maintained store, or something like that).

Last edited by jason taylor; 01-19-2015 at 09:13 AM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:29 AM   #17
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Or maybe all officers swords are simply made in a specific fashion.

I don't remember that episode. It sounds off; it is perfectly legal for even civilians to own a sword. It would make more sense that they would not be allowed to wear it in a context that might imply impersonation(perhaps by extension they cannot buy a sword from a navy-maintained store, or something like that).
Flynn's righ0 there was such an episode. Not a good one but real. A 19-20 year old recruit lost all touch with reality and began suffering major delusions and what the experts immediately thought of was "video games" and not "schizophrenia".

Your point is somewhat addressed by enlisted men buying pieces of an officer's uniform being a serious violation of regs rather than any general prohibition against owning swords. Probably related to impersonating an officer.

I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't regs about keeping weapons in your bunk on ship. The officer's swords were bought at a base exchange rather than some civilian source too.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:36 AM   #18
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Flynn's righ0 there was such an episode. Not a good one but real. A 19-20 year old recruit lost all touch with reality and began suffering major delusions and what the experts immediately thought of was "video games" and not "schizophrenia".

Your point is somewhat addressed by enlisted men buying pieces of an officer's uniform being a serious violation of regs rather than any general prohibition against owning swords. Probably related to impersonating an officer.

I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't regs about keeping weapons in your bunk on ship. The officer's swords were bought at a base exchange rather than some civilian source too.
Heck, I own a sword. And a kukri too. A republic is not about there being no nobles it is about everyone being a noble or it should be.

Last edited by jason taylor; 01-19-2015 at 06:22 PM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 05:19 PM   #19
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Rancke-Madsen View Post
If the prices are analogous to the prices for tuxes and uniforms I just googled, the uniform is about five times as expensive.

And why would he only use the tux once? I never heard of that being a requirement for royalty.
If he's a Dedicated Follower Of Fashion, the tuxedo might go out of style and "need" to be replaced before he's worn it very many times. The uniform will not go out of style.

In-game, this is more likely on a Solomani-descended world than on a Vilani-descended world, of course. Innate conservatism means styles change less often. (I think.)
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:23 PM   #20
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
If he's a Dedicated Follower Of Fashion, the tuxedo might go out of style and "need" to be replaced before he's worn it very many times. The uniform will not go out of style.

In-game, this is more likely on a Solomani-descended world than on a Vilani-descended world, of course. Innate conservatism means styles change less often. (I think.)
It has been several times commented on the difference between fashion flux in Europe and lack thereof in China, or Persia.

Tags
beret, ceremonies, cutlass, marines, traveller