Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-11-2014, 10:02 PM   #1
McAllister

Default Cyclops' Power

I'll make this brief: in the X-Men, Cyclops has this problem where, whenever his eyes are open, death laser beams stream out of them. I want to make a character with an attack similar to that. There is an Innate Attack, but how do you represent the drawback? It's not quite Blindness (I can open my eyes at any time), it's not quite Always On (I can also close my eyes at any time). It's almost like Uncontrollable, but what would Uncontrollable be worth if, instead of being Uncontrollable sometimes, it were Uncontrollable always? It's almost like being Linked, but it's Linked to having my eyes open.

Yes, Cyclops has superfancy red stuff he can look through that lets him see without lasering everything. I want to play someone less fortunate, someone who can only open their eyes as a last resort.
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:40 PM   #2
Not

Default Re: Cyclops' Power

You can't have the beam as a nuisance effect. Therefore you have to pay for the beam and take uncontrollable as a limitation. Not sure what to do about blindness...
Old 10-11-2014, 10:48 PM   #3
McAllister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not View Post
You can't have the beam as a nuisance effect. Therefore you have to pay for the beam and take uncontrollable as a limitation. Not sure what to do about blindness...
I already realized Nuisance Effect doesn't apply here. My problem with Uncontrollable is that "in times of stress, roll vs. Will or 14, whichever is lower; if you roll higher, your power activates" is very different from "if your eyes are open, there is no roll; your power activates." Both the condition and the probability are different. Stress is unpredictable, but a power that can't be turned off without closing my eyes leaves me with the choice of being effectively blind, or looking at the charred wreck of whatever was there before I opened my stupid eyes.

For the record, I'm looking at dumping ~350 points into a 10d Burning IA with Cone and some other modifiers, and a Linked [+10%] 10dx5 Toxic IA with Radiation and some other modifiers, so everyone I look at, even for a second, burns fast or dies slow (or is over 100 yards away).
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:51 PM   #4
David Johnston2

"Keeping your eyes closed" is the Mitigator for the Always On limitation.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:52 PM   #5
Langy

It's Blindness with Mitigator (Firing Death Rays). This Mitigator limitation should probably only be worth -10% or so if he doesn't have Cyclops's typical ruby sunglass-based mitigator, or -70% or so if he can also wear the ruby lenses.

Last edited by Langy; 10-12-2014 at 02:21 AM.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:59 PM   #6
Not

But that's after also paying for the beam, right?
Old 10-11-2014, 11:22 PM   #7
the_matrix_walker

I would buy Optic Blasts as Always on, as that is how it is for the character.

I would then calculate the points saved by the Always on limitation and list it on the character sheet as the advantage "Ruby Quartz Visor or glasses" and buy that as an advantage with appropriate Gadget Limitations.

It's a fudge, but seems fair enough to me.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:57 PM   #8
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister View Post
For the record, I'm looking at dumping ~350 points into a 10d Burning IA with Cone and some other modifiers, and a Linked [+10%] 10dx5 Toxic IA with Radiation and some other modifiers, so everyone I look at, even for a second, burns fast or dies slow (or is over 100 yards away).
If you want to Cyclops's actual power, it is traditionally more of a kinetic attack.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote