Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-25-2011, 07:31 AM   #11
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Kiai - Attack or Concentrate?

Huh, I've been reading things like Kiai and certain grappling moves that are Quick Contests that say "count as an attack" to prevent bad behavior like doing five takedowns and THEN making a "real" Attack maneuver.

Never occurred to me that you could or should stack Attack Options on those types of things, more like "I'm doing a Takedown or Kiai...that uses up my attack this turn."
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:58 PM   #12
Carlos

Kromm has said:

Kiai is just an attack. You use it like any other attack. It just happens to be HT-based instead of DX-based.

And later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
So it means that a Martial Artist with Trained by a Master wants to shout a cry and attack on the sequence as a Rapid Strike, both Kiai skill and karate skills would suffer the penalty for multiple attack?
Kromm: Yep. It's just an attack. I think people who don't quite grasp this are getting hung up on the fact that it isn't a DX-based roll, like most attacks.
Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:56 PM   #13
evileeyore
Banned

Pardon my thread necromancy... but it's for a good cause:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
It's specifically a bonus "to hit", not "attack rolls". It doesn't give a bonus on Maledictions, for example, regardless of the skill you're rolling and what attribute it's based on.

Re-reading the options in Martial Arts, there's nothing there that I'm seeing particularly applicable to Kiai either.
I pmed Kromm last night about this (it came up in a PbP I'm in) and this was Kromm's response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore
Does Kiai get the +4 to hit of AOA(Determined)?

And if so, does this mean other attacks that aren't 'hits' also get the +4?
I'm generally fond of allowing all "all-out" actions to have the option of a bonus. Sacrificing active defenses is kind of huge in GURPS, so it had better be worth the risk.

That said, I'd use +4 for that bonus only for DX-based feats in melee combat. I'd make the bonus +2 for things that "feel" more like use of force in melee combat (e.g., the +2 to ST-based rolls on p. 114 of Martial Arts), simply due to the fact that GURPS uses an implicit "each +2 to hit is worth +1 damage" ratio almost everywhere. And I'd used just +1 for things that "feel" like ranged attacks, which always get just +1 (examples include All-Out Concentrate to use psi abilities, on p. 34 of Dungeon Fantasy 14).

Kiai strikes me as being closest to use of force – not all force is ST – so I'd go with +2. For stuff like Push, say, I'd use the usual +4, because the skill is DX-based and the roll is an attack roll, to hit with the push.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:32 PM   #14
Plane

If you had some kind of perk to float the use of Kiai from HT to Will (not sure if that's possible, Power-Ups Perks had IQ-based Karate I think) that would seem like a good basis for switching from Attack to Concentrate maneuver in doing it.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
determined attack, kiai