Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-18-2018, 08:48 AM   #11
Astromancer

Default Re: (IW) People Worth Snagging, Recruiting Drive Fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
How about adding Hanna Reitsch to the team (although you do, admittedly, already have an aircraft driver).
They'd need more than one pilot.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:49 AM   #12
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Beckenstein View Post
I suggest:

1) Sven Hedin, the last of the great explorers. Spoke multiple rather exotic languages, travelled Central Asia on horse- and camelback, discovered lost cities and much more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sven_Hedin

2) Giacomo Casanova. If there ever was a real-life adventurer, it was this guy. Today mostly known for his understanding of the ladies, he also (among other things) played the violin, studied various topics (law degree at the tender age of 17), travelled Europe, met famous people of his age, organized a lottery, was a slick con man ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giacomo_Casanova

3) Bass Reeves. Born as slave, became a US Marshal. Arrested more than 3.000 (!) felons (among them his own son) in a lawless wilderness.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bass_Reeves
They sound like three good calls to me.

Ancora Imparo
Old 12-18-2018, 09:23 AM   #13
Tenex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
This thread is about listing people who'd make good recruits for the Icops or other groups in the Infinite Worlds setting.

The extraction mission would likely focus on the Sea Dragon, the junk he was sailing to San Francisco when he disappeared at sea.

As no one survived the voyage, no secrecy once the
SS President Coolidge
is over the horizon. All of the passengers and crew may be recruited with no significant issues.

Another possibility for recruitment is a woman...

Unless she's either become a liability to her resistance cell or has no hope of survival in her Britain, she'll want to continue the fight to free her Britain (yes I dislike the woman for many reasons but I know she was always a patriot and personally brave). So it might be involved to get her to accept being recruited. And she might try to use the Icops as a way to get improved training and tools for her fight for her Britain.
So for clarification, are these supposed to be people who disappeared in their own time under circumstances that wouldn't cause problems in their timeline if they suddenly disappeared? Like a sitting US president disappearing would cause all kinds of problems, but someone lost at sea and then recruited wouldn't cause any turmoil? Or is that not necessary?

Because if that isn't a requirement then it's pretty easy to just rattle off competent people from history.
Tenex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 01:55 PM   #14
Black Leviathan

D.B. Cooper and his bags of money would make a great surprise entry for a time-travel game. Even if you were just tracking down a time anomaly and found him in a bar in 1940's Seattle with drink and a duffle bag full of cash that hadn't been printed yet.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 02:14 PM   #15
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
The first two would have to be brought from alternates were Britain was conquered or worse. Frank seems more doable.
You could probably scoop up either one in the 30s - when Harman was walking the earth and De Wiart at a loose end in the Pripyat. Presumably De Wiart could use some decent cybernetics as well...
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 02:33 PM   #16
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
D.B. Cooper and his bags of money would make a great surprise entry for a time-travel game. Even if you were just tracking down a time anomaly and found him in a bar in 1940's Seattle with drink and a duffle bag full of cash that hadn't been printed yet.
I think it would make even more sense if Dan Cooper was a world jumper, hence the complete disappearance and "unsolved" nature of his crime.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:16 PM   #17
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenex View Post
So for clarification, are these supposed to be people who disappeared in their own time under circumstances that wouldn't cause problems in their timeline if they suddenly disappeared? Like a sitting US president disappearing would cause all kinds of problems, but someone lost at sea and then recruited wouldn't cause any turmoil? Or is that not necessary?

Because if that isn't a requirement then it's pretty easy to just rattle off competent people from history.
Halliburton, like Earhart or Birce, is an example of someone who disappeared, and if seen as useful, could be recovered. The example with Margaret Thatcher was of a person who in their history wasn't as important or prominent as in Homeline's history. In my example, a young Ms. Thatcher was fighting to free a conquered Britain. It was also proposed that Eleanor of Aquitaine, from a parallel were her brother lived, would make a good recruit too.

So you can pick someone famous that disappeared mysteriously or otherwise or an alternate version of someone famous who either never could become famous in their world or who's live took a radically different path.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 12-18-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:28 PM   #18
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
You could probably scoop up either one in the 30s - when Harman was walking the earth and De Wiart at a loose end in the Pripyat. Presumably, De Wiart could use some decent cybernetics as well...
De Wiart sounds like he's more than worth serious investment.

Ancora Imparo
Old 12-18-2018, 04:18 PM   #19
Donny Brook

I had a whole bunch of wildly different ideas, until I double checked and saw that's an N, not an H, in the third word of the title.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 04:51 PM   #20
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
I had a whole bunch of wildly different ideas, until I double checked and saw that's an N, not an H, in the third word of the title.
I see where you're coming from.

Ancora Imparo