Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-27-2018, 04:40 PM   #1
Derrick_rp

Default Unlimited Warp

I'm working on a setting where FTL travel is achieved by capturing creatures with the Warp advantage and forcing them to carry your ship with them when they warp. Trouble is, as written, Warp only allows up to heavy encumbrance. How do I stat up Warp so that it allows a creature to carry an entire starship with them when they jump without granting that creature obscene amounts of strength?
Derrick_rp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 04:50 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Unlimited Warp

No cheap way.
Tunneling or Area Affect with Affects others. I allow force field to work with movement abilities.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 04:52 PM   #3
chandley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick_rp View Post
I'm working on a setting where FTL travel is achieved by capturing creatures with the Warp advantage and forcing them to carry your ship with them when they warp. Trouble is, as written, Warp only allows up to heavy encumbrance. How do I stat up Warp so that it allows a creature to carry an entire starship with them when they jump without granting that creature obscene amounts of strength?
Gurps Supers answers this by saying take Super Effort on your ST, Lifting ST, TK carrying Capacity, or Mental Carrying Capacity (also introduced in Supers). You could reasonably couple that with "For Warp Only -60%", either on basic points of ST/Lifting ST/TK or on Super Effort enhanced points.

So, Warp (Extra-Heavy Enc) + Lifting ST (Super Effort +300%, Warp Only -60%) to warp massive loads like a starship.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:04 PM   #4
Brandy

There are some old threads that suggest that Tunneling (so that everyone through is in charge of their own encumbrance -- it's not not limited to what the Warper can carry) plus Area Effect (so that it's not limited to something about the Warper's size) would do the trick.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:30 PM   #5
naloth

Quote:
Affliction can also work. Per Powers, positive SM typically counts as a penalty but it can be counteracted with the Area enhancement. Buy enough Area to offset the size of the ship (which counts against the Affliction, with Warp being only based on the point value as if the ship bought it), afflict the ship, make sure the ship Warp can carry the crew and cargo as encumbrance, and you're good to go.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 06:33 PM   #6
Culture20

Cheat: Give the ships Warp with an accessibility limitation of “must have warp creature in confinement”. Then it’s the ship’s carrying capacity.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 06:46 PM   #7
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
Cheat: Give the ships Warp with an accessibility limitation of “must have warp creature in confinement”. Then it’s the ship’s carrying capacity.
That's probably the best way to do the tardigrade thing.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:58 PM   #8
Derrick_rp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
Actually, that reminded me of a way GURPS had already stated this up that I'd forgotten!

GURPS Psi-Tech, Somatic Exofield, page 31. Let's a teleporter teleport a vehicle the field is installed in using the vehicle's strength rather than their own. Just gotta scale it up to GURPS Spaceships size, but that should be no problem.

Thanks everyone!
Derrick_rp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:22 PM   #9
Plane

Would it be unbalanced to simply let them buy the "Extra Heavy" enhancement multiple times to increase total load? In this case if it's more than you can carry/wear, instead it's what you touch?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:33 PM   #10
Anthony

Quote:
Well, the easy option is to require spaceships to have a stardrive engine, and the stardrive engine requires a creature with warp capability to function. That doesn't require any special advantage for the creature, as it's a feature of the spaceship that it can be carried, not a feature of the creature that it can carry.

If the creatures can just carry around giant chunks of whatever, no easy way to get around them having at least limited super strength.

Tags
mass, weight