Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:44 PM   #31
Oinkinator

Default Re: OGRE DE FanMade New Units...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kauffman View Post
More important, exactly where is the OGRE AI controlling them located?
Can it be targeted separately and if destroyed, the whole chain of linked Laser Towers then becomes useless?
Can it be in a hex that does not contain a Laser Tower it is controlling...how far away?
Could it work that the Ogre AI is installed in say a Mark I? Maybe with a range of 6 hexes or so, though maybe more. This would allow for the lasers to be spread over multiple hexes so that they are harder to destroy all at once.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:41 PM   #32
Mack_JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kauffman View Post
I'm also really liking the Facilities aspect of OGRE DE with the SATO.
I've been mulling over a scenario where the break-through occurs, aimed at a rear area research base, and the base tech personnel have to rush several prototypes into action as a last ditch defense measure. Or even old prototypes that they had shelved as not very useful. It could allow for a wide range of "funnies" in a battle setting.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:58 PM   #33
Oinkinator

Yes, like a Mark 3.14159265359... ;)
Old 01-26-2015, 04:13 PM   #34
Toltrin

How about instead of a new unit, give units the ability for counter battery fire. If a unit is attacked, it forgoes it's next attack to fight off the projectile on it's opponent's turn. The projectile has to be 2 attack or larger and has to be a shell or missile. Use the unit's attack minus one to determine counter battery defense. An OGRE could not use an AP battery to produce counter battery fire because it would be zero.
A secondary battery could do counter battery fire with an attack of 1 vs the opponent's attack. A missile tank could really fend off some brutal attacks...
You think with this high technology that counter battery fire didn't exist?
So, what do you think? This could be a game changer ...
This could make OGREs SOO much more difficult to kill I would suspect.
Toltrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:20 AM   #35
brettd

I would think this would be more useful to the human player. For example, in the Mk III scenario, the human player gets 12 armor units while the MkIII gets only 5 regular weapons and 2 missiles. This means that the Ogre can try to intercept only 1/2 the defense attacks, but the defender can try to intercept all the Ogre weapons and still have half his force available to fire.
brettd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:46 AM   #36
Oinkinator

Hey Tim, do you have any ideas for American Combine Ogres?
Old 02-03-2015, 08:08 PM   #37
Keithus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oinkinator View Post
Hey Tim, do you have any ideas for American Combine Ogres?
+1

I liked the Katana that was on this thread briefly. It was kind of like Mr. Cobb's Hood; a straight gun platform fast enough to keep up with Ninjas and Mk IVs.
Keithus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:08 PM   #38
Oinkinator

Does an Ogre/submarine cross sound too outlandish? With longer ranged missiles, 5/7, perhaps...
Old 02-11-2015, 06:37 PM   #39
Tim Kauffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
I've been mulling over a scenario where the break-through occurs, aimed at a rear area research base, and the base tech personnel have to rush several prototypes into action as a last ditch defense measure. Or even old prototypes that they had shelved as not very useful. It could allow for a wide range of "funnies" in a battle setting.
Sounds very cool. I like the idea of "old prototypes" sitting around being rushed into service.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:44 PM   #40
Tim Kauffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toltrin View Post
How about instead of a new unit, give units the ability for counter battery fire. If a unit is attacked, it forgoes it's next attack to fight off the projectile on it's opponent's turn. The projectile has to be 2 attack or larger and has to be a shell or missile. Use the unit's attack minus one to determine counter battery defense. An OGRE could not use an AP battery to produce counter battery fire because it would be zero.
A secondary battery could do counter battery fire with an attack of 1 vs the opponent's attack. A missile tank could really fend off some brutal attacks...
You think with this high technology that counter battery fire didn't exist?
So, what do you think? This could be a game changer ...
This could make OGREs SOO much more difficult to kill I would suspect.
Hmm...I wonder if this isn't already in the game even though it's not rolled for or has any game mechanics for it.
For example, Henry has an idea to use AP guns for counter Cruise Missile attacks. It makes me think that this sort of thing would maybe be happening, but we don't actually consider it in the actual game play as a dice roll or anything...if that makes any sense.

I would like to see something for the Missile Tank along these lines.