Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-28-2014, 01:14 AM   #41
Mailanka

Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the Week: Boating

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman
Actually, I last started one of these threads on Saturday 23rd, about Blind Fighting and Invisibility Art
Bah, I don't know how I missed that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfish View Post
Great! That's how it played out in your campaign. What if those ships were being chased through the straits, where yelling all the orders you want doesn't change the fact that the helmsman has to remain within a tiny fraction of the correct heading in rough seas?
Or gets shot at by pirates. Every vehicle has a dodge value based on the control skill, but sea vessels don't have a control skill. It can't be that they don't dodge, because then we couldn't have riveting sea-battles with pirates and swashbucklers and the like. It can't be that they're too lumbering to dodge, because our giant space battleships can dodge too.

The only think I could see would be Seashipman + Shiphandling, but that means you suddenly can't dodge unless your captain is saying "Hard to port, Schmee!" and heaven help you if he's been knocked out by the latest cannon blast.

No, sea vessels need a piloting skill, especially for your TL 4-5 adventures on the high seas. It's fine to just make one up. Probably DX/A, with a default from boating, probably -3 or -4. ("Any experience on a frigate?" "No sir, but I did used to run supplies through enemy lines on my family's fishing boat." "Good enough!"), and call it a day. But it's odd that the book itself doesn't have something like this. It might be that it's intended (There seems to be some indication of that in the Vehicles section), but I don't know why it's intended for sea vessels and nothing else.

Further weirdness: I dug out Low-Tech for deeper research, which pointed me to Low-Tech 2, which has nothing on any shiphandling, but does have this reference:

Quote:
If a ship suffers a shearing attack, the flailing motion of
the oars inside inflicts damage on the rowers on that side, as
noted above. However, the oarsmen may attempt to avoid the
attack by pulling their oars back into the ship – or, on a vessel
with one man per oar and one row of oarsmen, raising the
oars above the attacking ship. This counts as a parry at (average
Oarsman skill/2) + 3;
What the hell is the "Oarsman" skill? Is it an actual skill? Or do they mean Seashipman? Or... what?
Old 08-28-2014, 01:22 AM   #42
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
What the hell is the "Oarsman" skill? Is it an actual skill? Or do they mean Seashipman? Or... what?
From Low Tech page 10:
Quote:
Crewman
At TL1-4, ships can have sails, oars, or both. Sails and
oars require different training. Rowing a ship uses a new
Crewman skill:
Oarsman/TL: The skill of rowing or paddling a large
ship. This includes steering and incidental shipboard tasks,
but not manning the sails. Oarsman and Seamanship
default either way at -2.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:36 AM   #43
cosmicfish

Quote:
Or do they mean Seashipman?
Typos happen to all of us from time to time, I just loved this one. It sounds like someone was trying to create a new superhero from scratch and just shouted some random words to see if they worked as a name.

"Do not fear, good citizens! Sea...er...ship...man? Uh... is here to save the day!"
cosmicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:47 AM   #44
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
From Low Tech page 10:
I was looking for a character section to see if there were any new skills, and even checked in the index to find it, but it wasn't there. Rare that a GURPS index fails me. Thanks!
Old 08-28-2014, 02:57 AM   #45
Refplace

Quote:
From Low Tech page 10:
And there is your surface ship piloting skill.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:04 AM   #46
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
And there is your surface ship piloting skill.
That's... a stretch. Oarsman is just a form of Crewman, so it would probably fall under the same limitations as Seamanship*. Even if it didn't, it would only reasonably apply to ships with oars, which would mean all those cool pirate frigates and heroic ships-of-the-line would be excluded. It would be really weird if your frigate pilot had Oarsman.

*(Suspiciously eyes Cosmicfish)
Old 08-29-2014, 06:33 PM   #47
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfish View Post
I am still curious why this never made it into the official rules in the first place. It seems odd to me that the oldest type of crewed vessel in existence is the only type where this is not already established in the rules.
If you find it confounding, you could just ask Kromm directly by PM or email.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:37 PM   #48
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
That's... a stretch. Oarsman is just a form of Crewman, so it would probably fall under the same limitations as Seamanship*. Even if it didn't, it would only reasonably apply to ships with oars, which would mean all those cool pirate frigates and heroic ships-of-the-line would be excluded. It would be really weird if your frigate pilot had Oarsman.
Oarsman lets you steer galleys. Seaman lets you steer frigates.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:48 PM   #49
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Oarsman lets you steer galleys. Seaman lets you steer frigates.
You could probably take the helm of either ship with either skill. The major difference is Seaman letting you work the sails, while Oarsman lets you row a galley.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:07 PM   #50
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
You could probably take the helm of either ship with either skill.
Tiller vs. rudder is probably worth a familiarity penalty.
Quote:
The major difference is Seaman letting you work the sails, while Oarsman lets you row a galley.
Yes, except the galley crew probably have Oarsmen and the frigate's crew have Seaman. Which is where Malinka's cool pirate frigates and heroic ships-of-the-line (which are probably a terrible fit for most RPGs; but whatever) come in.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basic, boating, skill of the week