Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-21-2014, 06:48 PM   #31
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week: 3D Spatial Sense/Absolute Direction

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Except you'll notice that all of a sudden north is in a different direction (assuming portals aren't oriented at precisely the same angle towards magnetic poles).
That requires they also have the perk: internal compass. Few animals with absolute direction actually use magnetic senses.
You shouldn't read more into the advantage that is actually stated.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:01 PM   #32
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
That requires they also have the perk: internal compass. Few animals with absolute direction actually use magnetic senses.
You shouldn't read more into the advantage that is actually stated.
The text is clear: you always know where north is. Arguably you need 3D Spatial Sense for a Dyson Sphere, but...
Old 07-21-2014, 10:40 PM   #33
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
The text is clear: you always know where north is. Arguably you need 3D Spatial Sense for a Dyson Sphere, but...
So it does. That's odd and makes most realistic write ups of absolute direction incompatible with Absolute Direction.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:08 AM   #34
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Let me rephrase that; when an Advantage provides a bonus akin to having appropriate gear as a natural facet of the rest of that Advantage (as opposed to something extra added on), should it count towards the cost of that Advantage, or be recognized as a facet of that skill? The answer is still probably yes, but hopefully now I have phrased my question properly. XD
I dunno. Are you asking when is something an Accessory rather than a more costly Advantage?
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:03 AM   #35
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
So it does. That's odd and makes most realistic write ups of absolute direction incompatible with Absolute Direction.
Yeah, I'd actually say that unmodified Absolute Direction can only be justified as a supernatural Advantage.

(In practice I'd probably use Absolute Direction list price for 'perfect inertial navigation', but in exotic situations that's distinctly not as good as RAW.)
Old 07-22-2014, 01:40 PM   #36
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
I dunno. Are you asking when is something an Accessory rather than a more costly Advantage?
I am asking whether the fact that a bonus is being granted should be factored into the cost of the Advantage or viewed as a part of the Skill. There are a lot of Advantages built so that is does, but others don't. It might be because the bonus isn't quite as "concrete" for some things versus others. This is why I question whether or not it is worth charging points for such bonuses; if you tell me you're going to be preparing food at a level that calls for at least one Cooking roll... doesn't it make sense that Absolute Timing would give an advantage? Where does one draw the line?
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:42 AM   #37
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
I am asking whether the fact that a bonus is being granted should be factored into the cost of the Advantage or viewed as a part of the Skill. There are a lot of Advantages built so that is does, but others don't. It might be because the bonus isn't quite as "concrete" for some things versus others. This is why I question whether or not it is worth charging points for such bonuses; if you tell me you're going to be preparing food at a level that calls for at least one Cooking roll... doesn't it make sense that Absolute Timing would give an advantage? Where does one draw the line?
If a bonus is built into the Advantage, that means it always applies (maybe only almost always), and so should be counted as a benefit gained that adds to the trait's value. Situational bonuses could come up in so many ways that it would be impractical to try and list them all in the rules. Since they would only arise circumstantially, by definition, it wouldn't be reasonable to factor them directly into the cost the same way as explicit bonuses are. A bonus to Cooking from Absolute Timing strikes me as something like that... it doesn't seem to me that you should get a bonus to every cooking roll because of your internal clock.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:01 PM   #38
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by fartrader View Post
I suspect it's been years since you've read the rule in its entirety, so you should probably give it a quick read again. No offense intended by that, I know there are parts of the rulebook that I've not read in years. The exact description of Absolute Direction rubbed me wrong the very first time I ever read it (back in 3E) and I've always classified it as non-realistic.

Note, I've mangled your quote a bit in order to number things, so I can refer to them by number.

Quote:
Absolute direction is (Humans may have the first two realistically):
1. innate dead reckoning
2. limited photographic memory for paths taken
3. ability to detect fields like magnetic north.
4. No earth animal I know of has all three.
I don't have issue with #1 as a realistic human ability, but that's better represented by a Talent granting a bonus to the skills involved in navigation, or just plain skill itself, but that's not Absolute Direction as the ability is written in the book IMO, it's a bit more than that, which is why I say it's Cinematic, at the very least.

I don't consider #2 realistic (though that's obviously included in the ability), not the photographic memory, but the limitation.

#3 & #4 - There's a note specifically about that, it's a zero-point feature, so it's not part of Absolute Direction.
Yes, I am quoting something from a different thread, because it helped me understand some of my confusion over Absolute Direction and the bonuses it provides. I took a look at Eidetic Memory, and at either level it provides no bonus to skills, because
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic Set p.51
This trait affects recall, not comprehension, and so does not benefit skills.
So apparently Absolute Direction as written does include not just remembering paths but "comprehending them"... so might that help with a justification for a more limited form of Absolute Direction? You know which way is north and you can remember the actual paths you've taken, but that's it. There is no capacity to - for example - take knowledge of that previous path and apply it to creating a new path.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Old 07-27-2014, 05:25 AM   #39
namada
Banned

Last edited by namada; 09-21-2014 at 12:07 AM.
namada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:42 AM   #40
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by fartrader View Post
I was coming to post all the Absolute Direction related conversation from the Cinematic/Realistic thread, because it seemed it might get more discussion here instead, but I see Otaku has (partially) ninja'd me on it already:
Thanks. I'd have done more but that thread is progressing too quickly for me to keep up, especially as we keep having bouts of bad weather and I am on a desktop. ^^'

Tags
3d spatial sense, absolute direction, advantage, advantage of the week, aotw, basic, week