Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-25-2016, 12:43 PM   #11
Crystalline_Entity

Default Re: How to fight mages as a TL 7 character?

I'd suggest radiation - at TL5 it hasn't been discovered, so radiation spells won't exist. It might not kill the archmage quickly, though.

I'm not sure if spells such as Neutralise Poison work on substances causing radiation poisoning (rather than just being toxic), probably up to the GM. And spells such as Watchdog may or not detect such a threat, but if the archmage has no idea why something is dangerous, that's not as useful.
Crystalline_Entity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 01:04 PM   #12
Kfireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Certainly, the tendency to ignore almost all metal armor does suck for vehicles
Almost all? what metal armor dose it not ignore? dose it effect Oricalculm?
Kfireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 01:09 PM   #13
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfireblade View Post
Unless metal armor is specifically enchanted to protect against magical lightning, it's worth at best 1 DR. Even orichalcum won't save you.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 01:09 PM   #14
David Johnston2

Quote:
I have TL 7 character going into a high magic TL 5 world where battle mages are not uncommon. the power level of the campaign is 450pts. I was making him a snatcher who had a weight limit that would allow him to grab vehicles, but I then realized that magic lightning is going to completely wreck my vehicles. Throw in all the defensive spells available and I'm really not sure how to handle the situation.
I don't think you give TL 7 vehicles enough credit. Sure, it'll ignore the DR, but TL 7 vehicles have a respectable number of hit points that the lightning will have to burn through and better range on their cannon. How many levels of Aptitude are you looking at?
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 01:09 PM   #15
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Sorry, to clarify, I meant that magical lightning ignored almost all the DR from metal armor - i.e., it treats it as DR 1. I didn't mean it didn't ignore some types of metal (though you might be able to find some vehicles with a ceramic armor layer? I'm not really sure, I don't know vehicles that well, but it sounds possible, at least.).
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 01:12 PM   #16
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I don't think you give TL 7 vehicles enough credit. Sure, it'll ignore the DR, but TL 7 vehicles have a respectable number of hit points that the lightning will have to burn through and better range on their cannon. How many levels of Aptitude are you looking at?
And they'll have to roll penalized HT based on the amount of HP lost to avoid shutting down. This means that vehicles are basically done for vs magical lightning.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 01:19 PM   #17
starslayer

TL7 guy is a snatcher, and has a basic understanding of magic capabilities?

Sniper rifle+500m range+meteoric bullets

Mortar+2km range+forward observer+radio+Meteoric mortar casing+nerve gas would also be good (meteoric can possibly be ignored, but it would be horrible for a 1 in 1000 shot to be RIGHT on target and get bounced back)
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 01:21 PM   #18
Kfireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post

Personal Deathbolt: Innate Crushing Attack 4 (Accurate +2 10%; Increased 1/2 damage Range x5 +10%; Cosmic: Ignores Protection and Warning spells +50%; Fragmentation 2d +30%) [40]. You have an Acc 5 attack that hits out to 100 yards for 4d cr damage, can't be prevented by magic, and causes extra fragmentation on hits. I probably wouldn't let you take it as a GM, but who knows what you can get away with?
This could work because he allows insanely not ok things. Another worry actually is how OP some of the higher point enemies will be, like the arch-mage. Which is my original thought was snatcher with enough weight to grab a tank, park it, and use its main gun.
Old 11-25-2016, 01:23 PM   #19
Kfireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
TL7 guy is a snatcher, and has a basic understanding of magic capabilities?

Sniper rifle+500m range+meteoric bullets

Mortar+2km range+forward observer+radio+Meteoric mortar casing+nerve gas would also be good (meteoric can possibly be ignored, but it would be horrible for a 1 in 1000 shot to be RIGHT on target and get bounced back)
This sounds like a plan actually, I had not known about the meteoric stuff before today.
Old 11-25-2016, 01:31 PM   #20
Kfireblade

would meteoric armor protect from magic lightning?

Tags
guns, mages, magic, tl 7, vehicles