Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-20-2016, 03:21 AM   #31
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default Re: Alternative IQ distribution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
We've all heard of the dog and cats that ran into burning buildings to rescue their babies. If that isn't stupidly high willpower, then nothing is.
It's not willpower, it's hardwired instinct. A Human parent would do the same.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 03:27 AM   #32
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Strength is physical integrity, Dexterity is physical control, and Health is physical stamina.
In one version of the World of Darkness system there where 3 types of attributes: Physical, Mental and Social and these each had 3 stats each used for different things: Power, Finesse and Resistance.
Like this:
Code:

Physical       Mental         Social
Power         Strength      Intelligence    Presence
Finesse       Dexterity     Wits            Manipulation
Resistance    Fortitude     Resolve         Composure
Although I seem to recall that there where often confusion as to when you should use Resolve and when to use Composure, I think the idea has some merits.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 03:45 AM   #33
Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
It's not willpower, it's hardwired instinct. A Human parent would do the same.
If it was just pure instinct, all cats and dogs would systematically do the same thing, which is not true. Likewise, all gnus are far from daring facing several lions, even for their baby.

So, unless we consider that every individual has a different "level" of instinct ... Hey! That would mean that those with stronger will are just individuals with more hardwired instinctive drive ... Which could be true, after all - even for humans!

It make me thing about something very funny with ethology. When an animal do something, we immediately say that it is instinct. But when a man do the same thing, we say that it is intelligence or will. George Bernard Shaw summarized that perfectly well:

"When a man wants to murder a tiger he calls it sport; when a tiger wants to murder him he calls it ferocity."

Last edited by Gollum; 02-20-2016 at 04:39 AM.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 04:44 AM   #34
Not

When a tiger buys a steamer ticket, hires a porter, and stalks a gentleman in his pajamas, I'll entertain the notion.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:29 AM   #35
Gollum

Is buying a steamer ticket, hiring a porter, and stalking a gentleman in his pajamas a proof of intelligence?

And is a gentleman with his gun able to track and kill a tiger without the help of a dozen of other men plus several elephants to protect himself?

So which one is really more intelligent and able of adaptation in a hunting situation?

Last edited by Gollum; 02-20-2016 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-20-2016, 11:02 AM   #36
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
Is buying a steamer ticket, hiring a porter, and stalking a gentleman in his pajamas a proof of intelligence?

And is a gentleman with his gun able to track and kill a tiger without the help of a dozen of other men plus several elephants to protect himself?

So which one is really more intelligent and able of adaptation in a hunting situation?
Honestly the man, because he has adapted the situation to so massively favour himself to the extent that he can describe seeking out and physically defeating a tiger as a sport.

Last edited by Tomsdad; 02-20-2016 at 11:15 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 11:15 AM   #37
Tomsdad

I think giving animals low IQ but higher Per is the best way to go, a lot of the relevant skills are Per based rather than IQ anyway (and the ones that aren't I'd allow animals to base off Per).
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 11:49 AM   #38
Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
Honestly the man, because he has adapted the situation to so massively favour himself to the extent that he can describe seeking out and physically defeating a tiger as a sport.
You may be right ... Exactly as a cat playing with a mouse ... It looks more like a sport and game than like a true hunt.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:07 PM   #39
Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
I think giving animals low IQ but higher Per is the best way to go, a lot of the relevant skills are Per based rather than IQ anyway (and the ones that aren't I'd allow animals to base off Per).
Yes. To come back to GURPS rules - sorry for my digression - I think that what we usually name intelligence doesn't necessarily correspond to GURPS IQ.

I've always thought that DX also includes some kind of intelligence, especially bodily-kinesthetic one.

If you take the driving skill, for instance, most of the time, your roll is based on DX. But driving is not just a matter of pure reflexes or hand-eye coordination. It also implies a true understanding of the situation, an anticipation of what will happen, the choice of the right decision at the right time, the using of your knowledge and previous experiences, etc. Brief, it requires a lot of perception and intelligence. Ditto for combat skills. And ditto for sports (especially team sports which also require a good strategy) ...

So, bodily-kinesthetic intelligence can perfectly be considered as included in the DX and Per stat in GURPS terms. Survival, Tracking, Acrobatics, Climbing, Combat skills are all Per or DX based skills.

That' a very good point.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:52 PM   #40
Emerald Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
I may have a much better logical-mathematical intelligence than my cat. But he surely has a much better bodily-kinesthetic and a much better spatial intelligence than me.
And if he's anything like the cats I've grown up with, he is probably much more manipulative than you are.
Emerald Cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attribute, attributes, intelligence, intuition, logic