Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 01:19 AM   #11
mark hill

Default Re: Alternative Mana Sources

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA_Grandpa View Post
.. I don't know if that is his sole function, or if it's just what he likes to do.

What I do know is that anything he is associated with becomes tainted in my eyes because all I ever see him do is be critical of other people on the forum ..
mmm .. I must admit, Im just wondering when Im gonna get banned ..

Last edited by mark hill; 04-21-2019 at 04:01 AM.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:35 AM   #12
TippetsTX

So anyway, circling back to the topic at hand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
You could also experiment with "ritual" magic -- some long, drawn-out process that eventually yields extra mana for magical spells in some way -- though maybe they have to be "put into" a powerstone or something similar. I'm thinking it would take some serious time and thought to come up with something that doesn't completely skew the "economics" of the magic system...
I have been experimenting with some mechanics for ritual magic since it seems clear that there are already existing spells that fit this definition.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...ghlight=Ritual

One possibility is that while ST may still serve as the initiating 'spark' for such spells, the actual fuel for the ritual is XP.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:57 AM   #13
mark hill

I guess I always viewed TFT spells as a more psionic or super-power type thing than spells that required lots of gestures, spell components, drawing runes on the ground etc, that struck me as a more D+D type approach .. in TFT they just 'fire off' with minimal dialogue or gestures

but it does occur to me that if you cast your normal spells in a more highly ritualised way, maybe you could sacrifice time for a lowered ST cost?

like 5 turns to cast, 1/2 ST cost maybe .. then you do the whole chanting, runes, eye of newt and wing of bat etc .. if it was a high ST cost spell, maybe a given wizard can ONLY cast it that way, or maybe he can only cast a high ST version that way

Last edited by mark hill; 04-21-2019 at 07:06 AM.
Closed Thread