Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-15-2009, 01:03 PM   #21
Vaevictis Asmadi

Default Re: Horizontal Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemi3e View Post
Centauroid beings can carry stuff without a Move penalty, and even use the item, unlike true Horizontal beings.

*thinks* Elephants: Centauroid, Extra Legs, One Hand/One Fine Manipulator?
That's exactly why I've been arguing that elephants can't be Horizontal and should be one-armed centauroids. Their trunks work fine when they're moving! Nice to know I'm not the only one with unorthodox ideas. :)

Inconvenient Size was removed for 4th, but I could see it being a disadvantage only if you were outnumbered by people with a different shape.
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:51 PM   #22
Nemi3e

Default Re: Horizontal Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaevictis Asmadi View Post
That's exactly why I've been arguing that elephants can't be Horizontal and should be one-armed centauroids. Their trunks work fine when they're moving! Nice to know I'm not the only one with unorthodox ideas. :)
Well, they ARE Horizontal, the problem is that Centauroid tends to mean something very specific to people in terms of posture, but in game function it's different.

Horizontal breaks down into taking up extra space and a limitation on fine manipulators; and Centauroid is taking up extra space with NO limitation on fine manipulators. So it's a question of functionality versus physical reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaevictis Asmadi View Post
Inconvenient Size was removed for 4th, but I could see it being a disadvantage only if you were outnumbered by people with a different shape.
I suppose it's covered by Size Modifiers now? But that doesn't work with, oh say an alien with a radically different hand and finger configuration. It's not in the text, but that's what I use it for mostly. Not being big or small, just being radically different that they need special chairs and equipment, as per "seriously impaired away from their own communities." I'd probably count it for partial cost in a setting like Station General.

"Yes, I am a renown surgeon, yes I could save this man's life, but I can't hold your scalpels straight," said the doctor with outward facing palms and suction-pad tipped laterally flexing fingers.
Nemi3e is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinosaurs, disadvantages, horizontal, q&a, rules