Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-16-2016, 03:35 AM   #1
scc

Default [Magic] Quick and Dirty Enchanting and High Levels of Energy

OK, I was going through Magic recently, looking at Enchanting, and something occurred to me, the way the rules are worded for Q&D Enchanting if at the end of the first hour you still have 10 or more FP or ER or some combination of the above you can keep enchanting until you run out of energy. Of course the fact that the average Mage is going to have Recover Energy at skill-15 or more means that they'll never run out, but still.

Does anyone else agree with this interruption of the rules?
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:58 AM   #2
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Default Re: Magic] Quick and Dirty Enchanting and High Levels of Energy

I tried to find that quote, but couldn't.

What I did find was "We also assume that the average enchanter knows Recover Energy at 15. So, Quick and Dirty Enchantment takes place in cycles of one hour enchanting and 50 minutes recovering 10 FP. An eight-hour workday therefore yields about 4.4 cycles (some days the enchanters stay late, others they pack it in early)." (Magic 22).

And from the Recover Energy spell: "The mage must rest quietly, but no ritual or die roll is required. While resting, he can maintain ordinary spells, but not those that require concentration." (Magic 89).

So I would say, no I do not.
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 04:19 AM   #3
scc

Default Re: Magic] Quick and Dirty Enchanting and High Levels of Energy

M17: "This method creates a magic item quickly. It takes one hour per 100 points of energy required (round up)." That kinda suggests that you can be enchanting for more then an hour. Of course I miss remembered it's 100 points an hour, so you'd need a group of mages who together have both 100+ points left over after the first hour and can recover that much an hour, but still.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:00 PM   #4
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Default Re: [Magic] Quick and Dirty Enchanting and High Levels of Energy

Of course you can enchant for several hours per day. That's how it works, as I quoted in my previous post. But you cannot recover FP while enchanting, you have to enchant then rest. And then enchant again.

Last edited by Dragondog; 03-16-2016 at 12:03 PM.
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:56 PM   #5
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog View Post
Of course you can enchant for several hours per day. That's how it works, as I quoted in my previous post. But you cannot recover FP while enchanting, you have to enchant then rest. And then enchant again.
Um, what? Where do you get the idea that Recover Energy doesn't work while your enchanting?
Old 03-16-2016, 01:00 PM   #6
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Um, what? Where do you get the idea that Recover Energy doesn't work while your enchanting?
Enchanting requires Concentration, not quiet rest. Recover Energy only works during quiet rest, not while Concentrating or any sort of physical activity. Therefore, Recover Energy does not work while enchanting.*

*Having one Compartmentalized Mind rest while the other works may work as a loophole.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:17 PM   #7
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Enchanting requires Concentration, not quiet rest. Recover Energy only works during quiet rest, not while Concentrating or any sort of physical activity. Therefore, Recover Energy does not work while enchanting.*

*Having one Compartmentalized Mind rest while the other works may work as a loophole.
No, Recover Energy works no matter what
Old 03-16-2016, 01:28 PM   #8
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Did you read the second paragraph of the spell? It certainly does NOT work "no matter what."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic p89
The mage must rest quietly, but no ritual or die roll is required. While resting, he can maintain ordinary spells, but not those that require concentration. This spell does not function in lowor no-mana areas.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:30 PM   #9
munin

Quote:
You're thinking of Regeneration. Recover Energy requires you to "rest quietly". Enchantment is work, not resting quietly.
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:38 PM   #10
Calvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by munin View Post
You're thinking of Regeneration. Recover Energy requires you to "rest quietly". Enchantment is work, not resting quietly.
The explanation of how Magic has calculated the cost per energy point also includes the assumption that part of the 8 hours are used as regeneration time. That makes enchanting time and regeneration time two distinct things.
Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enchanting, magic