Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-14-2018, 04:22 AM   #1
Alonsua
Banned

Default Biotech: Help me justify good looking females with high strength values

The problem has already been solved, but you can continue to contribute ideas if you feel like it.

Solution:
Spidersilk biomimetic muscle (by Ze'Manel Cunha) ST+1
Stimulating bone cell growth ST+1

So in my specific setting the most efficient (strength/weight) natural girls at ST 13 look like at least 188 cms height versions of this:

Anllela, Pauline 1, Pauline 2, Andreia.

While normal female humans by ST 13 at the same height should look like this:

Maria, Maria 2, Maria 3.

And normal female humans by ST 14 at the same height would be closer to this:

Nataliya, Nataliya 2, Nataliya 3

ST 15 should look the same than ST 14 but at over 202 cms height.

Summary: I want to keep ST 13 appearance at 188 cms height and be able to use ST 15 in the characters (without changes to their appearance and keeping the height constant). Current weight is 216 lbs by ST 13 and by ST 15 their weight should be at least 343 lbs. Please give me reasonable excuses that fit into biotechnology/scientific research.

Last edited by Alonsua; 07-14-2018 at 03:59 PM.
Alonsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:34 AM   #2
The Colonel

Default Re: Biotech: Help me justify good looking females with high strength values

A feminist Amazon moment is probably the least original and a general strength upgrade most likely if you're okay with strength enhanced men as well. The general enhancement would be quite likely to take aesthetics into account as Amazon cultists probably wouldn't worry that much about looking over-muscled. Of course the cultists could start like that and then bulk up... Alternatively it could be spin-off from a space colonization project, designed to either provide humans who can live in >1G or to prevent muscle deterioration in microgravity.

As for how ... probably easiest with fluffing something about optimizing muscle tissue efficiency based on a variety of bio mimetic approaches from across the animal kingdom. Approach will depend on whether you want your enhanced humans born like that or modified.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:48 AM   #3
Alonsua
Banned

Default Re: Biotech: Help me justify good looking females with high strength values

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
A feminist Amazon moment is probably the least original and a general strength upgrade most likely if you're okay with strength enhanced men as well. The general enhancement would be quite likely to take aesthetics into account as Amazon cultists probably wouldn't worry that much about looking over-muscled. Of course the cultists could start like that and then bulk up... Alternatively it could be spin-off from a space colonization project, designed to either provide humans who can live in >1G or to prevent muscle deterioration in microgravity.

As for how ... probably easiest with fluffing something about optimizing muscle tissue efficiency based on a variety of bio mimetic approaches from across the animal kingdom. Approach will depend on whether you want your enhanced humans born like that or modified.
I would like to born like that and I will need more data to support it.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:20 AM   #4
Flyndaran
Untagged

You don't have to adjust the physical when it's "easier" to adjust the society's ideals of beauty.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:30 AM   #5
Gollum

Though I cannot be sure (I have no proof of it, and no true competitive comparison), girls in my karate dojo are strong without having such appearing muscles.

Actually, I believe that that kind of muscle is not “natural” but precisely the consequence of a specific bodybuilding training to get appearing muscles. Note that I’m not telling that those women are not strong. Of course they are! Likewise, I’m sure that their training is very hard. But one of their main goal precisely is that appearance. They like that kind of bulging muscles and train a lot to get them – I would like to be as brave as them with my own karate training.

Here is a page in which are strong women. Sure, everybody immediately see that they are very strong. But, for most of them, muscles are less bulging. So, a beautiful woman could be strong without necessarily having a Nataliya-like appearance …
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:37 AM   #6
jason taylor

It depends on their preferred exercise. Mariel Zaguinis is pretty hot but she is a swordswomen. That provides a different form of exercise then weight lifting.

Interestingly climbers can look good despite the heavy load. It would be hard to justify a heavyweight boxer that matches standards of female beauty as the qualities demanded are so contradictory. Perhaps in the lower weight classes and assuming she doesn't get hit in the face very often.

I think what would make a good looking female athlete or similar strenuous activity is an exercise that is well rounded rather then geared toward things like lifting. Or in other words, a female stevedore would look like a male stevedore and tough luck.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:40 AM   #7
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

How muscular you look is very dependent on body fat and the size of the muscles in your arms. Overall strength isn't. It's possible to pack quite a lot of muscle into a human body without it being super visible. Plenty of women who lift pretty impressive weights look perfectly feminine.

I wouldn't be shocked if genetic engineering could make human muscles a lot more efficient pound-for-pound. Most animals seem to do better, although there might be a trade-off with fine motor control. Also, random mutations being constantly introduced into the gene pool mean that it's possible pretty much every biological system influenced by a lot of genes is a little less than perfectly suited to it's function and genetic engineering might be able to make improvements just by counteracting the random noise.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:52 AM   #8
Alonsua
Banned

ST 15 is the human maximum strength in this setting so putting humans at the same level as average gorillas by that point. I thought it would be possible to increase the density of muscle fibers so if for example 1 liter of "normal" muscle weighs 2.3 lbs, 1 liter of "upgraded" muscle weighs 3.6 lbs. Is that a possibility?
Old 07-14-2018, 11:05 AM   #9
jason taylor

One problem is that females necessarily have a large part of their body dedicated to innately female activities. Rather unfairly because male counterparts take up less room but someone has to do all the mastodon slaying. Those activities in fact do require quite a bit of exertion and sometimes doesn't have the luxury of distributing weight as desired with straps and buckles (though that African idea of carrying a child in a basket is a pretty good one). Despite the word "labor" we apparently do not think of it as such because the things classified as "strength" do not seem to be included with pregnancy or breastfeeding.

It is a basic engineering principle that you cannot have everything you want and something must give. Usually it has to be taken out of someplace that will not hurt the innate function which is why there are so many plump merchant ships and skinny warships.

At the same time, much of the Western concept of female beauty is not needed for all of this. And indeed is hard to reconcile with female biology as it is with traditionally male activities.

Last edited by jason taylor; 07-14-2018 at 11:17 AM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:06 AM   #10
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
ST 15 is the human maximum strength in this setting so putting humans at the same level as average gorillas by that point. I thought it would be possible to increase the density of muscle fibers so if for example 1 liter of "normal" muscle weighs 2.3 lbs, 1 liter of "upgraded" muscle weighs 3.6 lbs. Is that a possibility?
That seems extremely unlikely. Biological tissue has to be predominantly water, and water weighs 2.205 pounds per liter, by definition. And the other constituents are mostly organic molecules that aren't that different from water in density. It isn't as if you could have a substantial fraction of the muscle be metallic compounds.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote