Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-16-2018, 01:55 AM   #1
Kesendeja

Default Power that Lowers Parry and Dodge

I'm trying to recreate a monster with an aura that makes it harder for its victims to parry and dodge, but I don't know how to build it.

Bonus question: How to represent an aura that causes a temporary one time loss of a few points of Will?
Old 07-16-2018, 03:13 AM   #2
Onkl

Default Re: Power that Lowers Parry and Dodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesendeja View Post
I'm trying to recreate a monster with an aura that makes it harder for its victims to parry and dodge, but I don't know how to build it.

Bonus question: How to represent an aura that causes a temporary one time loss of a few points of Will?
You could have a look at DF11:Power Ups and the way the "Bard Songs" are designed there from p. 20 onwards.

Cheers

Onkl
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:08 AM   #3
sn0wball

If you are the GM you can simply assign this effect to your monster: Defense Rolls are made at -2.

You donīt need to create a Power according to the rules for character creation, since, it is not a character, unless it is an excercise in building powers.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:51 AM   #4
Varyon

Obscure lowers attack, not defense, but could be used as a starting point here. It will need Defensive to not affect the monster, Stealthy to not be a visible aura. I believe Psionic Powers has an Anti-Targeting modifier that makes it only affect attack rolls, not sense rolls, which we'll appropriate here. GURPS has a general equivalency of 2 to attack being worth 1 to defense, but that's all defenses and we're looking at only penalizing two of them. Martial Arts' Technique Design System indicates that penalizing one defense is worth half normal, two defenses is worth 3/4 normal. Going off of that, every 1.5 levels of Obscure is worth -1 to Parry and Dodge. Call the modifier Anti-Defense and price it the same as Anti-Targeting. Add levels of Area Effect to taste.

A Will-damaging Aura is probably an Affliction with Aura and possibly some Area Effect.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:25 AM   #5
AlexanderHowl

Another possibility is to create an Affliction that reduces Defense Bonus. Affliction 1 (Disadvantage, -5 DB, +200%; Aura, +80%; Malediction 1, +100%; Melee, C, -30%) [45] would create an ability that would reduce defenses by 5 of anyone who touches, or is touched, by the monster for minutes equal to their margin of failure on a failed Will versus HT roll (you can remove Malediction 1 if you want to be more sporting). Or you could just stun the characters.

Last edited by AlexanderHowl; 07-16-2018 at 06:31 AM.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:05 AM   #6
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesendeja View Post
For just its attacks, the simplest approach is to just increase its skills and rule it always makes Deceptive Attacks. Why make this harder than it needs to be?

Quote:
That one is just an Affliction, a reduced attribute works like any other disadvantage.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:56 PM   #7
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
For just its attacks, the simplest approach is to just increase its skills and rule it always makes Deceptive Attacks. Why make this harder than it needs to be?
Exactly. Therefore any power method you come up with needs to cost less than 16 points times the number of different attacks it can perform.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:33 PM   #8
AlexanderHowl

Its even worse than that because more highly skilled monsters can DWA with their natural weapons. A monster with Brawling-20 could make two claw attacks at skill 16 against the same character or skill 12 if they are using a deceptive attack.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:10 PM   #9
PTTG

That sounds like Affliction with aura or something.
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:02 PM   #10
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
I'm working on the assumption he wants what he wrote in the original post - an aura that reduces defenses, which naturally would mean the foe suffers the penalty against attacks not originating from the monster.