Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #481
SCAR

Default Re: The 2013 e23 Releases and Speculation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
GURPS doesn't do the core, supplement, splat and module thing and never has. If GURPS had a core it would just be the two volumes of the Basic Set.

There hasn't been a GURPS release since 2004!
Picky. Canon then?

And the Pyramid 'not official' post is here.

Last edited by SCAR; 06-27-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #482
Steven Marsh

I suspect people perceive Pyramid not to be "core" is because it's not referenced in other supplements. However, most GURPS supplements try to limit the amount they cross over; if Pyramid has rules on (say) Ritual Path Magic power-ups for avians, and another ("official"?) supplement has need of it, that supplement isn't going to say, "Oh, you need Pyramid #3/99: Geese to make sense of this supplement." It's just going to reprint those rules.

However, the third volume of Pyramid has taken great pains to be as "official" as it can be. Thorny bits of rule options have done the rounds between Kromm and PK to make sure Pyramid material reflected "official" rulings on how to do certain oddball things.

It's true that we run a fair amount of "variant" or "optional" material, but at a certain level dang-near everything in GURPS is optional; it's utterly impossible to use every option -- and not just because some options are contradictory.

Thus, while it's feasible we might do a GURPS Social Engineering Companion or similar supplement someday, in the interim the material from Pyramid #3/54: Social Engineering -- including new rules options from Social Engineering author Bill Stoddard -- is pretty sweet . . . and if we ever did do a Companion, I'd be campaigning hard to get the material from that issue included therein.

Last edited by Steven Marsh; 06-27-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:50 PM   #483
Steven Marsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAR View Post
Picky. Canon then?
Ahhh, GURPS... a system where forum posts from Kromm are treated as "canonical," but material he writes for a professionally edited and assembled package is not. :-)
Old 06-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #484
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Marsh View Post
Thus, while it's feasible we might do a GURPS Social Engineering Companion or similar supplement someday, in the interim the material from Pyramid #3/54: Social Engineering -- including new rules options from Social Engineering author Bill Stoddard -- are pretty sweet . . . and if we ever did do a Companion, I'd be campaigning hard to get the material from that issue included therein.
I'm definitely in favour of it being included!
Old 06-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #485
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

I think the frustration lies, not in dissatisfaction with Pyramid, but with the level of anticipation people have at all the great books sitting behind the Ogre roadblock.

I'm pragmatic about it (heh...), realizing that GURPS is (based entirely on my understanding, not speculating on SJ Games' business practice) a labor of love for Steve J., and that he could make more money devoting those resources to other product lines. He continues to support GURPS because, quite frankly, it's his baby.

So we take our releases when we get them...

We like Pyramid (heck, I've been a subscriber since... gosh, probably the last 7-10 years?). But...

So... much... good... stuff... in the pipeline! I REALLY want to see the RPM book, and the Cathedral location book, and the Chinese Elements book, and the...

We're getting plenty of stuff, you see. It's just not the stuff we've been drooling over for the last year or two. :-)

Still, SJ Games has to make money to keep paying the bills, and they've done quite well compared to so many other (now defunct) RPG companies, so I trust them to keep it up. When there's room in the resources budget (mostly human resources...), put out the big supplements. Meantime, keep us fed on the tasty morsels in the Pyramid.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:18 PM   #486
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAR View Post
And the Pyramid 'not official' post is here.
All he's saying is that the DF series is self-contained, so that DF11 doesn't give power-ups for templates that didn't appear in the series. That just means that Pyramid #3/36:Dungeon Fantasy isn't considered part of the Dungeon Fantasy line for purposes of forward development within the line, it doesn't mean that it's not intended for GURPS.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #487
SCAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Marsh View Post
Ahhh, GURPS... a system where forum posts from Kromm are treated as "canonical," but material he writes for a professionally edited and assembled package is not. :-)
Touche. ;-)
Old 06-27-2013, 02:34 PM   #488
mehrkat

In the referenced post isn't Kromm specifically stating that something can be given "official" status by being printed in Pyramid.

K - Forgive me for placing words in your mouth if I misread.

I admit I don't take "canon" very seriously. Canon is my world specific. I toss stuff out at random at my whim which is definitely encouraged by GURPS. But I would absolutely consider something in Pyramid to be assigning it "official" status.

I like the Pyramid stuff. It provides really nice support to GURPS. But darn do I want that RPM system :) (and Chinese Powers -- just to see a worked Magic as Powers system and a few others admittedly)
Old 06-27-2013, 02:55 PM   #489
SCAR

I was and am in no way knocking Pyramid, it has been a regular dose of new GURPS stuff every month. Pyramid has published 3(?) RPM articles providing support and new material while we've been waiting for the dedicated GURPS RPM book.
Pyramid Issues are not the same (neither more nor less) as a new GURPS release, from the pile of titles listed in the first few posts of this thread, or something entirely unnamed as yet.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:55 PM   #490
ULFGARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
I think the frustration lies, not in dissatisfaction with Pyramid, but with the level of anticipation people have at all the great books sitting behind the Ogre roadblock.
This is precisely what I was trying to say. And I'll reiterate that my comment about "taking Pyramid for granted" is a compliment to everyone involved in it -- producing consistently high quality material month after month is not easy.

There's just so much "new release" material waiting around that isn't (from an outsider's perspective) already slotted for specific release dates. And I'm chomping at the bit for it, as are a number of others.

This also addresses the In Nomine (and Toon for that matter, which I own and have played) crowd: these are supplements that have already been discussed and in many cases play tested/reviewed and so are just on hold due to production issues. They aren't simply proposed titles or hypotheticals, but mostly completed products being held up by the Ogre production.

Personally, I'm not an Ogre fan. (That doesn't mean I might not be converted, but I haven't ever played it and don't really have friends I'd be likely to play it with.) Nor Car Wars, nor Munchkin (though I have played Munchkin and it is fun -- I even own the basic game and occasionally trot it out at parties). But I do understand that those are the cash cows of SJ Games, and I want the company to continue. Yet the reason I want it to continue is for GURPS. That's my selfishness as a consumer.

Tags
2013, e23, speculation