Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-07-2018, 02:43 PM   #1
ULFGARD

Default [Magic] Trace Mana Zones?

I've been thinking about adding another, lower level of mana that might be appropriate for a secret magic or low magic game. This is specifically written for my current DFRPG/DF game. Any comments would be appreciated.

Trace Mana Zone
In a Trace Mana Zone, only magic that is brought in continues to function. All spells are at -10 to skill. Magic items are similarly affected. Spells (including those cast via magic items) can only be powered by Energy Reserve, energy drawn from a Power Item, or energy that has been previously spent to power a specific item (such as a charged scroll). Creatures which depend on mana to survive, such as most faerie folk, take 1 FP/minute.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:08 PM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: [Magic] Trace Mana Zones?

This is somewhat close to the idea of Very Low Mana, which was introduced (at least for 4e) in Thaumatology (p. 58). The -10 to spells, at least, is the same. The other effects of Very Low Mana are different from your suggestion, but I think yours make sense, so I'd go with them if you like them.
Kelly Pedersen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 03:27 PM   #3
ULFGARD

Default Re: [Magic] Trace Mana Zones?

[QUOTE=Kelly Pedersen;2174749]This is somewhat close to the idea of Very Low Mana, which was introduced (at least for 4e) in Thaumatology (p. 58). The -10 to spells, at least, is the same. The other effects of Very Low Mana are different from your sugges y
I realized this after I initially posted. I had forgotten about Very Low Mana Zones, and rediscovered them while looking into Wild Mana. I am going for something a bit different, aside from the -10. I think this is a bit more direct for a DFRPG-based game (with lots of DF and Thaumatology-inspired add-ons such as this).

Tags
dungeon fanasy, magic