Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 03-10-2018, 01:41 PM   #21
43Supporter

Default Re: Car Wars Beginner Here! (Classic Edition)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Phantom666 View Post
Hey fellow duelist! Been loving the advice and help! I have a question regarding Turrets: How EXACTLY do they work? How i keep reading it in the rules, they are great to have for wanting 360 degree firing, but how do they consume spaces? The rulebook makes it sound like you can put weapons in them to conserve space, but the turret takes up that space anyway so???
You're correct -- the 1- and 2-space turrets occupy those many spaces in the body; the trade is "now that weapon can fire out of any of the four main arcs".

The 3- and 4-space turrets are just a bit more efficient; they only occupy 2 spaces in the body of the vehicle, so one gets 1-2 "extra" spaces for weapons.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:51 AM   #22
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Phantom666 View Post
Hey fellow duelist! Been loving the advice and help! I have a question regarding Turrets: How EXACTLY do they work? How i keep reading it in the rules, they are great to have for wanting 360 degree firing, but how do they consume spaces? The rulebook makes it sound like you can put weapons in them to conserve space, but the turret takes up that space anyway so???
As mentioned before - turrets provide number of spaces for weapons equal to their size which don't count against the spaces in the vehicle. The only thing which counts against the vehicle spaces is the rotating mechanism. This is the same number of spaces that the one or two space turret provides in the Classic rules, but not the case for the three-space turret (which only requires 2 spaces in the body of the vehicle).

Keep in mind that the Classic rules are subset of the rules in the Compendium (as well as Uncle Albert's Catalog From Hell). The wording is sometimes the way it is in Classic to keep it compatible with things in other books. In the wider rules there are other accessories which provide external spaces to put things in, such as Cupolas, External Weapon Pods, Rocket Platforms, and others. Some of which take vehicle spaces to mount, some of which don't.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:33 AM   #23
Blue Ghost

Additionally there's the "cupola" turret in which the gunner sits in the thing, which, IIRC, eats up lots of space, and is mostly van sized vehicles and larger. And there's the "zero space" turret which is essentially for a targeting laser.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:45 AM   #24
Chris Goodwin

Also be aware that if you put rockets in a turret, once you've shot them they're gone and you've got an empty turret. The way around that is with a rocket magazine, which takes up space internally as well.

I've started a subreddit for discussion of INWO and Illuminati. Check it out!
Chris Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:21 PM   #25
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
Additionally there's the "cupola" turret in which the gunner sits in the thing, which, IIRC, eats up lots of space, and is mostly van sized vehicles and larger. And there's the "zero space" turret which is essentially for a targeting laser.
Cupolas only take two spaces in the main body ("pop-up" versions are space-eaters). The drawback of the "coop" is: The gunner in it can only fire the weapon[s] also mounted therein (gunner does get a +1 to aim, tho').

79er

Old 03-13-2018, 09:11 PM   #26
Blue Ghost

Yeah, I think I only used a cupola one time...eh, maybe twice in a design. Both vans, or so I recall.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:16 PM   #27
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
Yeah, I think I only used a cupola one time...eh, maybe twice in a design. Both vans, or so I recall.
I've never used a Van, so you're one-up on me. (I had to check to make sure a 3-sp. coop could be used by a Van.)

79er

Old 03-19-2018, 02:56 AM   #28
Blue Ghost

Yeah, the plus one DM never struck me as being worth it.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:19 AM   #29
swordtart

Cupola plus HR computer (and HRSWC if your interpretation allows it) is as good as a Cyberlink. Cupola + Cyberlink!!! Combine in tracer etc. and even mediocre gunners start to be far more useful.

2 Spaces isn't much, but if it holds a laser that never misses it might be enough. They are more useful in Trucks though as the weight penalty is rather high. Cupola Sponsons? Some have indicated that non turret mounted rockets can be laser linked for even more firepower (as the rockets themselves don't need to be aimed).

In a 2d6 system +1 is almost always worth it.

If you needed a 12, you now only need 11 you are three times as likely to hit.

Even if you only need a 4 you miss 1/12th of the time with +1 you only miss 1/36th of the time.

Its a bit more marginal in the middle, but if someone told me that I could improve my chance to hit by a minimum 40% I'd still be keen to take it.

Last edited by swordtart; 03-19-2018 at 09:34 AM.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote