Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-09-2013, 01:08 AM   #1
Anthony

Default [BLOG] Science Gamer

Well, I've decided to create a blogger site (actually, I had one for a long time, but I never posted anything to it). Currently posted there is experimenting with a javascript-based extremely variant hit location app (hopefully it doesn't stop working...).

Last edited by Anthony; 08-09-2013 at 01:50 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
Stripe

Default Re: [BLOG] Science Gamer

"Long-time gamer" should be hyphenated and the sentence runs off the side of my screen, unable to be read.

I couldn't get the calculator to work in Firefox 22.0 or IE 10. It makes a cross hair pointer, but clicking the buttons or in the fields does nothing, as if I didn't click.
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
"Long-time gamer" should be hyphenated and the sentence runs off the side of my screen, unable to be read.

I couldn't get the calculator to work in Firefox 22.0 or IE 10. It makes a cross hair pointer, but clicking the buttons or in the fields does nothing, as if I didn't click.
It's got some fairly heavy javascript, but mostly what looks to be messed up is that the image has disappeared and thus the clickable region is overwriting the calculation region. I'm going to need to either change platform or figure out how to resolve that. Bleh. Trying something out with a separate web page.

Last edited by Anthony; 08-09-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
lexington

That's a great program.

Is there anywhere to find a typical range of MoA for various guns?

Specialized benchrest riles can fine really low MoA, I know, down to like 0.15 MoA. The US military standard for sniper rifles is supposedly 0.6 MoA and similar sources say assault rifles are meant to have an MoA of about 4 or 5.

I can't find any information about MoA for handguns, shotguns, or muskets, though.

Edit: Found some MoA numbers for older guns:

http://67thtigers.blogspot.com/2010/05/ballistics.html

Napoleonic Era:
Charville Musket: 36
Baker Rifle: 18

American Civil War:
P1853 Lee-Enfield: 7.5
M1842 Springfield: 24
M1861 Springfield: 10.5

Last edited by lexington; 08-09-2013 at 11:55 AM.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #5
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
That's a great program.

Various gun sites I imagine, but I don't have a good reference offhand. Most military rifles are a couple MoA. It doesn't really matter that much, errors due to uncertainty in range or target velocity are often much larger (try setting range to 100 +- 20m, target move 5 +- 1 m/s. That's a fair approximation for shooting at someone who is moving between buildings).
Old 08-09-2013, 12:04 PM   #6
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
That's a great program.

Specialized benchrest riles can fine really low MoA, I know, down to like 0.15 MoA. The US military standard for sniper rifles is supposedly 0.6 MoA and similar sources say assault rifles are meant to have an MoA of about 4 or 5.
You can usually get decent MoA numbers by Googling "bench rest accuracy" in reviews of various firearm/ammo combinations.

Typically, you'll see that high-accuracy handguns are in the 2-3" groups at 25 yards (8-12 MoA), while self-defense handguns with short barrels are about 3-5" (12-20 MoA).

The M16 pattern heavy barrel rifle is about 1.5 MoA out of the box, from what I understand, with the older thin-barrel ones being in the 4-5MoA range.

The best group I could find at large distance was on the order of 0.25 to 0.4 MoA, and that was looking for 500-1000yds distance.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #7
Stripe

Unfortunately, Firefox updated from 22.0 to 23.0 between this post and last. However, it works now for me for both FF 23.0 and IE 10.
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #8
lexington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Various gun sites I imagine, but I don't have a good reference offhand. Most military rifles are a couple MoA. It doesn't really matter that much, errors due to uncertainty in range or target velocity are often much larger (try setting range to 100 +- 20m, target move 5 +- 1 m/s. That's a fair approximation for shooting at someone who is moving between buildings).
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
You can usually get decent MoA numbers by Googling "bench rest accuracy" in reviews of various firearm/ammo combinations.

Typically, you'll see that high-accuracy handguns are in the 2-3" groups at 25 yards (8-12 MoA), while self-defense handguns with short barrels are about 3-5" (12-20 MoA).

The M16 pattern heavy barrel rifle is about 1.5 MoA out of the box, from what I understand, with the older thin-barrel ones being in the 4-5MoA range.

The best group I could find at large distance was on the order of 0.25 to 0.4 MoA, and that was looking for 500-1000yds distance.
Thank you kindly!
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:20 AM   #9
Anthony

And another update, which I was having trouble working out completely; I figured perhaps asking people for ideas would work.
How much DR does it take to swim in lava?
Old 08-16-2013, 02:54 PM   #10
fredtheobviouspseudonym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
High DR.

Low IQ.
fredtheobviouspseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote