Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-11-2008, 10:18 AM   #1
b-dog

Default Dungeon Fantasy: Werewolves

I would like to put my two cents in on werewolves. I think that the old D&D sort of shortchanged the werewolf and I hope that Dungeon Fantasy doesn't do that. Werewolves were one of the most feared beings in myth so I think they should be a top predator. Also, in Dungeon Fantasy, characters have armor and sword and are pretty stacked with stats so, for this reason I think that werewolvlves should be pretty nasty, sort of like they are in GURPS werewolf the apocaypse.

I think that they should be as strong as vampires ST20, have some extra attacks with long talon claws and regenerate very fast unless they are hit with silver or fire. If they don't get these kinds of super powers then they will be just a furry orc or troll. Imagine a warrior transforming into a werewolf and being less powerful than they were in human form, that would defeat the purpose.

Finally, I would say that werewolves and other lycanthropes, are spiritual beings so this could explain why they are so powerful. They would essentially be the spirit of an animal iside of a man. This is just my personal take on them though.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:29 AM   #2
Bruno

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy: Werewolves

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog
I think that they should be as strong as vampires ST20, have some extra attacks with long talon claws and regenerate very fast unless they are hit with silver or fire. If they don't get these kinds of super powers then they will be just a furry orc or troll.
Regeneration is overdone and a bit annoying. Give them a few points of DR, and then make them take 1/10th normal damage from non-silver weapons (1/2 normal damage from silver-coated weapons). Alternately, if you don't like damage divisors, give them 10x normal HP, and make them take 10x damage from silver weapons, 5x damage from silver-coated weapons.

Give them High Pain Threshold (Not vs. silver) or even Supernatural Durability (Achilles Heel: Silver).

And then give them Long Talons, striking ST 20, and a ground move of around 10 or so...
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:35 AM   #3
b-dog

[
QUOTE=Bruno]Regeneration is overdone and a bit annoying. Give them a few points of DR, and then make them take 1/10th normal damage from non-silver weapons (1/2 normal damage from silver-coated weapons). Alternately, if you don't like damage divisors, give them 10x normal HP, and make them take 10x damage from silver weapons, 5x damage from silver-coated weapons.

Give them High Pain Threshold (Not vs. silver) or even Supernatural Durability (Achilles Heel: Silver).

And then give them Long Talons, striking ST 20, and a ground move of around 10 or so...[/QUOTE]
Sure, however is the most effective to simulate their power. I just would like werewolves to be something that characters fear the same way they fear vampires and other nasties.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:41 AM   #4
Harald387

Quote:
Sure, however is the most effective to simulate their power. I just would like werewolves to be something that characters fear the same way they fear vampires and other nasties.
I'm a lot more afraid of something that divides all incoming non-silver damage by
ten and has a good chance to totally ignore my sword stroke than I am by something that just heals fast. If it heals fast, I can just get a couple dozen commoners to stand off and pelt it with sling stones until it stops moving, then behead it.

If it ignores those sling stones entirely, I really *am* going to undertake the quest to find the werewolf-hunter's lost sword in the spooky forest, or shell out to have a silver one made myself, and that's both a good adventure hook and a scarier monster.

That said, there's nothing that says werewolves have to be all the same type, or all scary, or all weak. There could readily be various kinds of werewolves, and one of the great things about GURPS is that there really isn't any One True Way except what's fun for you and your players. Make them as terrifying as you like, or play them for laughs. Either works.
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:44 AM   #5
pawsplay

Regular Regeneration and Injury Tolerance (Diffuse; Not versus silver) would be pretty good.
pawsplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:51 AM   #6
KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads

Give a look here. ;-)
KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:55 AM   #7
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harald387
That said, there's nothing that says werewolves have to be all the same type, or all scary, or all weak. There could readily be various kinds of werewolves, and one of the great things about GURPS is that there really isn't any One True Way except what's fun for you and your players. Make them as terrifying as you like, or play them for laughs. Either works.
True, you can make each type of creature however you want to in GURPS, but I still think that there standard version sort of puts a baseline for the power level of the creatures. If Kromm made mindwarpers have only one attack per round with very little damage then DMs would have rooms filled with mindwarpers. But since they have such incredible power DMs make them the boss badguy instead.

I really like the idea of werewolves being a real terror though maybe just because there are so many movies and stories about them. If werewolves are no more powerful than an ogre then they sort of lose their appeal.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:02 AM   #8
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads

Yeah, thats the right idea! (At least as far as I'm concerned)
Good job!
Old 03-14-2008, 07:12 PM   #9
sjmdw45

Quote:
I really like the idea of werewolves being a real terror though maybe just because there are so many movies and stories about them. If werewolves are no more powerful than an ogre then they sort of lose their appeal.
Heh, heh, heh. Read this short story: http://www.webscription.net/10.1125/...074347161X.htm

Virigar, King of the Werewolves (weak version):

ST 35
DX 14
IQ 14
HT 16
Basic Speed 8.00
Move 8.00
Enhanced Move 3
Hard to kill 4
SZ +2
Brawling-25
Diamond claws (thr + 4 cut, reach 1)
Razor Teeth (thr + 4 imp)
Vulnerability: Silver
Shapeshifting: Alternate form/any human
Unaging
Sadism
Quirk: Inhumanly patient
Quirk: Likes to play games. Considers hunting a game. Also likes to win...

-Max
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:32 AM   #10
Agramer

Immunity to delirium is nice advantage...but to give PCs a chance who dont have it just make initial Fright check at -10,and every second there after at -5(getting into combat would give you +6...but it would still be Fright check at +1 total every second to all who see him).

That should give enough of mechanics to avoid tackling Weres,even before their physical prowess.

Great community...give it a try :)
Agramer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy