Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-18-2008, 04:05 PM   #11
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Settings

Reminds me of the Malazan Cycle setting, by Stephen Erikson. Best background of any fantasy world I've ever read. There's layer upon layer upon layer of history, some human, some not so much. The world itself is a little too realistic for a DFesque campaign, IMO, but I definitely think the cycle of rise and fall of empires would give you the varying ruins that the setting demands.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 04:34 PM   #12
Harald B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk
Reminds me of the Malazan Cycle setting, by Stephen Erikson. Best background of any fantasy world I've ever read. There's layer upon layer upon layer of history, some human, some not so much. The world itself is a little too realistic for a DFesque campaign, IMO, but I definitely think the cycle of rise and fall of empires would give you the varying ruins that the setting demands.
Too realistic? It's a bit on the gritty side, maybe, but it's some of the most epic stuff I've ever read. And I don't even want to think about the point values of characters like Quick Ben and Karsa Orlong.
I'd buy a GURPS Malazan Book of the Fallen worldbook instantly, that's for sure. Fantastic setting.
Harald B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 04:35 PM   #13
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes
Progress is a relatively modern notion. High fantasy typically hearkens back to myth, and very often includes the notion of a fall from a previous Golden Age. Civilization devolves. Heroes of the past were always mightier, and the elder wizards had a better comprehension of mighty magics lost to us today.
That is an enough good starting point for DF developments keeping some degree of fabulisimilitude.

And despite of having the appearance of being a bit simplistic approach, it can be indeed enough fun, thrilling, complex and developed if it is enough worked.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 05:03 PM   #14
LoneWolf23k

One twist to the Dungeon Fantasy concept I liked was in GURPS Fantasy, in the "Mouth of Hell, Part 1 and 2" Adventure Seed. Take your average fantasy setting; here and there across the land, pits, caves and tunnels open in the earth, giving access to underground mazes populated with horrible monsters and undead, guarding fabulous treasures and magical artifacts.

As the adventurers venture deeper into the mazes, their adversaries and surroundings grow increasinly nightmarish. They eventually discover the underground realm brims with even more hellish creatures, and that each time a creature dies, the killer experiences an enhancement of his abilities, but that when the opposite happens, the underground realm itself becomes darker and deadlier.

As it turns out, the various 'Dungeons' are the creatures of powerful demons who feed off human terror, greed and blood shed in their domain. It hopes to lure the entire human population to throw away their lives while playing it's dark game.

A nice twist on Dungeon-crawling, I'd say.
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 05:11 PM   #15
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf23k
One twist to the Dungeon Fantasy concept I liked was in GURPS Fantasy, in the "Mouth of Hell, Part 1 and 2" Adventure Seed. (...)
I agree.

Fantasy for me is "the spine" for Dungeon Fantasy.

Wolfgang Smith

My G+
Old 02-18-2008, 05:52 PM   #16
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric
I'm curious about the campaign settings people use for DF. Exactly how do you go about creating a world that has lots of interesting abandoned ruins loaded with goodies and baddies?
Centuries ago there was a major war instigated by the followers of a dark god. Among their other blasphemies, these men bred monsters - orcs, wvyerns, and other horrors were the fruits of their labours. They were ultimately defeated, their kingdoms destroyed and their works thrown into ruins, but not without cost - the good guys' communities that survived were in no state to occupy new lands or even to patrol them.

Now, those communities that survived have recovered and expended to the point where there are 'surplus' young people with no prospects for settled employment and enough wealth to be able to outfit themselves and explore for loot in the abandoned and/or destroyed cities and fortresses of their ancestors and the followers of the dark gods. The monsters remain, and even thrive, making life exciting in the wildernesses, and even pushing other, lesser, monsters down into the settled lands (mainly orcs pushing goblins into civilsed country), providing another source of adventure.

That's the gist of my current fantasy campaign.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:20 AM   #17
sjmdw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harald B
Too realistic? It's a bit on the gritty side, maybe, but it's some of the most epic stuff I've ever read. And I don't even want to think about the point values of characters like Quick Ben and Karsa Orlong.
I'd buy a GURPS Malazan Book of the Fallen worldbook instantly, that's for sure. Fantastic setting.
Quoted for truth.

Note that the Malazan world developed from a GURPS campaign. (IIRC, Erikson said it started out D&D or something but switched to GURPS when GURPS came out, and houseruled from there.) I like to think you can see traces of this in Karsa Orlong's Truthfulness, for example, or Quick Ben's Curiosity.

-Max
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:35 AM   #18
sjmdw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric
I'm curious about the campaign settings people use for DF. Exactly how do you go about creating a world that has lots of interesting abandoned ruins loaded with goodies and baddies?
One I've been considering...

My magic system has spells that scale power exponentially with difficulty instead of linearly (more like AD&D "strategic" magic than GURPS "tactical"). Think "hacking the universe's operating system code." It's also a lot more expensive than standard GURPS magic in terms of point-values (more expensive than Powers in most cases). But I digress--suffice to say that magic can potentially cause huge geophysical alterations like volcanoes, ice ages, California falling into the sea...

Take a medieval fantasy world. One day and for no apparent reason, across an area the size of France, underground "dungeons" begin appearing. These dungeons are, initial investigations reveal, usually full of hostile creatures as well as treasure. There's not enough food in the dungeons to support the monsters that are there, and no good reason they should have the treasure they do--but somehow they do. So far, most dungeon inhabitants don't seem interested in leaving the dungeon and invading the "real world," and while that could change at any time, the political Powers That Be don't think now is the right time to spend "blood and treasure" in clearing these potential threats. Thus. "Adventurers" are commissioned with letters of marque to clear these threats out, if they can.

By acknowledging the basic craziness of dungeoneering, you can fit it into the real world while explaining why the Powers That Be don't give you a *real* army for the job, and without ruling out sinister invasion plots that might indeed make calling up real armies worthwhile at some point.

-Max
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:12 AM   #19
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmdw45
By acknowledging the basic craziness of dungeoneering, you can fit it into the real world while explaining why the Powers That Be don't give you a *real* army for the job, and without ruling out sinister invasion plots that might indeed make calling up real armies worthwhile at some point.
Interesting.

Contributing to that inherent craziness, even The Dungeon in a general sense doesn't need to be in the same "normal" reality, but perhaps in other different "under-earth" and partly "oniric" domain ruled by different -but estrangely familiar- laws. After all, The Dungeon isn't but a different name for The Mouth of Hell. Some of this is, I think, suited for all Dungeon Fantasy motifs.

I posted in other thread a sketchy part of my Dark Fantasy/Dungeon Fantasy setting in development.

Wolfgang Smith

My G+
Old 03-04-2008, 07:35 AM   #20
Tsuru-Sennin

Earthdawn, I think, is one of the best official "Dungeon Fantasyesque" settings there is. I'm sure GURPS could do it with very little work.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent, and empty threats the final sanctuary of the terminally inept.
Tsuru-Sennin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy