Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-19-2015, 05:31 AM   #1
Gnome

Default [Basic] Why do Slams hurt so much?

I know there have been threads on a similar topic before, but I'm not sure the best way to handle this. It's possible the party will be attacked by some jungle cats. I would expect them to Pounce (B372). But pouncing on a foe can hurt! Would a real predator risk serious physical injury (which should often lead to death in the unforgiving wild) on every hunt?
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 06:19 AM   #2
lachimba

Default Re: [Basic] Why do Slams hurt so much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
I know there have been threads on a similar topic before, but I'm not sure the best way to handle this. It's possible the party will be attacked by some jungle cats. I would expect them to Pounce (B372). But pouncing on a foe can hurt! Would a real predator risk serious physical injury (which should often lead to death in the unforgiving wild) on every hunt?
Idk but I'm pretty sure it's a rule of physics that every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

Perhaps they pounce at low move?
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 06:39 AM   #3
Tomsdad

Remember a lot of pounces on larger prey occur after a stalk, and final dash and while the target is alerted and moving in the same direction (away from you)*. Now GURPS doesn't really go into relative speed (apart from picking out head on) but it's pretty reasonable thing to add in.

Also while some predators do slam into their prey, they tend to do so against prey animals smaller than themselves and not against the larger prey. I think grappling might be better fit for that kind of scenario, or tripping come to that.

given the calculation (HPxVel in M/sec)/100 your not likely to be suffering that much damage.

If you like you can rule that for result of MoS on the roll you reduce the damage you suffer (but beware of odd situations where targeting a person to slam becomes a way to survive falling long distances)!.

*but not fast enough to escape you

Last edited by Tomsdad; 11-19-2015 at 11:36 PM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:06 AM   #4
Tomsdad

Really the issue is that there are so many variables in play that are below the scope of GURPS to deal with, it's always going to be an approximation. (and we're at fringe small damage for most human scale stuff as well)

Given the amount of head on tackles in a game of rugby if GURPS raw was in effect you expect (even) more injuries! But there is a reason why american football players wear crash helmets and heavy pads, (NFL tackling is different from Rugby tackling).

So actually think I quite like the MoS idea, but I think I would limit how much damage can be reduced by (technique and leading with your shoulder into their softer/more collapsible bits will only get you so far after all)

Last edited by Tomsdad; 11-19-2015 at 07:59 AM.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:06 AM   #5
JazzJedi

I think there is a small gap in the rules. You should be able to "absorb" damage from a slam the same way you do from a fall. I would say that an Acrobatics, DX, or Judo roll absorbs damage equal to the MoS of the roll.

Last edited by JazzJedi; 11-19-2015 at 08:10 AM.
JazzJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:20 AM   #6
Tomsdad

One general point to make as well, charging at larger prey animals is dangerous. Predators can get hurt when going after big prey (large size is partly an adaptation against predation).
Old 11-19-2015, 07:27 AM   #7
Not

I may have missed it, but can you use your impaling striker to gore your target with a slam, instead of taking the brunt of the impact with your body? Perhaps using the couched lance rules?
Old 11-19-2015, 09:33 AM   #8
GodBeastX

I don't get why pounce and flying tackles are slams? I thought they were take downs to knock people over, not damage them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s16aAOgulnw

^ This isn't a flying tackle?
GodBeastX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:38 AM   #9
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
I don't get why pounce and flying tackles are slams? I thought they were take downs to knock people over, not damage them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s16aAOgulnw

^ This isn't a flying tackle?
That's also relative move of 1, maybe 2. At that "speed," you're more likely to get hurt from falling over than you are from the impact. And in the case of cats, pouncing from behind also ends up with a very low relative movement, with no need to roll for negligible damage.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:27 AM   #10
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzJedi View Post
I think there is a small gap in the rules. You should be able to "absorb" damage from a slam the same way you do from a fall. I would say that an Acrobatics, DX, or Judo roll absorbs damage equal to the MoS of the roll.
I'd imagine absorbing damage from slamming into a target is more a function of relative SM (you're larger than the herbivorous prey you choose to slam into) and of having high ST, compared to how absorbing fall damage might work.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote