Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-22-2014, 02:59 PM   #1
Ortega

Default Question about armor coverage

You suppose to must tailor a leather pants armor from ankles to waistline. How to calculate the body coverage? So thighs + knees + shins + groin, and now start the problems: butt is include in thighs or in back torso? And how to consider partial coverage of the belly from groin to waistline?
Ortega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:17 PM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Question about armor coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortega View Post
Ybutt is include in thighs or in back torso? And how to consider partial coverage of the belly from groin to waistline?
That part of the body - torso south of the waist - is the abdomen AFAICS. The tables for this in Low-Tech start on p100.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:26 PM   #3
Ulzgoroth

I'd suggest using Low Tech hit locations and the Abdomen sub-location table (found in Instant Armor, but probably also in something better I'm not thinking of).

That puts a 1d6 sub-table for abdomen hits. Most pants should cover the Groin (sub-location 6) and pelvis (sub-location 5) at a minimum. I'd probably put the standard pants at half-coverage of the abdomen, specifically covering sub-locations 4-6.

EDIT: I do not think typical pants would cover the full abdomen location, which is everything below the rib cage and above the legs.

EDIT 2: I'm not sure, but I think the buttocks would mostly best fit under the Pelvis sub-location. (Because they're clearly not vitals, aren't a special male vulnerability zone, and mostly aren't going to result in ruptured intestines on a hard hit. By process of elimination...)

Last edited by Ulzgoroth; 05-22-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Ulzgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:02 PM   #4
DanHoward

The Loadouts book assumed that pants just cover the legs. To keep things simple I'd say that the butt was part of the thigh location. Most historical fighters who wore leg armour also rode horses so that hit location rarely comes into play.

Last edited by DanHoward; 05-22-2014 at 04:18 PM.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:21 PM   #5
Ortega

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
The Loadouts book assumed that pants just cover the legs. It didn't really matter because none of them had any DR. To keep things simple I'd say that the butt was part of the thigh location. Most historical fighters who wore leg armour also rode horses so that hit location rarely comes into play.
I talk about ordinary pants, not cowboy like pant that don't cover groin and butt. And leather give 1 or 2 DR point so matter. Also butt as hit location matter because is a fair large area and could be hit by an arrow while you run away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
EDIT: I do not think typical pants would cover the full abdomen location, which is everything below the rib cage and above the legs.

EDIT 2: I'm not sure, but I think the buttocks would mostly best fit under the Pelvis sub-location. (Because they're clearly not vitals, aren't a special male vulnerability zone, and mostly aren't going to result in ruptured intestines on a hard hit. By process of elimination...)
I also have doubts about these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
That part of the body - torso south of the waist - is the abdomen AFAICS. The tables for this in Low-Tech start on p100.
From front, but from rear hit the vitals through the butt, look weird to me.

Last edited by Ortega; 05-22-2014 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:16 PM   #6
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
I also have doubts about these.
Well, if you're not going to say more than that I can't really add anything.
Quote:
From front, but from rear hit the vitals through the butt, look weird to me.
Uh, you've quite severely mixed things up there. The buttocks are possibly part of the back of the abdomen, but they're certainly not all of it. There's no more problem with not being able to easily hit the vitals through the rump than there is with not being able to break someone's nose by punching them on the chin.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:46 AM   #7
Polydamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
I'd suggest using Low Tech hit locations and the Abdomen sub-location table (found in Instant Armor, but probably also in something better I'm not thinking of).

That puts a 1d6 sub-table for abdomen hits. Most pants should cover the Groin (sub-location 6) and pelvis (sub-location 5) at a minimum. I'd probably put the standard pants at half-coverage of the abdomen, specifically covering sub-locations 4-6.

Pants cut in early 21st century Western fashion come close enough that I would just say they cover Legs and Abdomen and be done (since most Chest armour extends a bit below the ribs). It makes life a lot simpler to fit objects within the game into the categories provided by the game, rather than worry "humh, maybe I should give partial protection to these three hit locations?"

As far as I know, the Pelvis is not part of the Low Tech rules; I think it was introduced in Tactical Shooting.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:57 AM   #8
DanHoward

The Pelvis hit location was introduced in Tactical Shooting and it was put into the abdomen sub-location table in Instant Armor and Armor Loadouts.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:26 AM   #9
GodBeastX

Anything can probably cover anything. Overalls anyone?

Really, just get an idea of locations and pick what things cover it. Location value for coverage is static, so it matters little if it's over from your pants or your shirt.
GodBeastX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:40 AM   #10
Ortega

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
Anything can probably cover anything. Overalls anyone?

Really, just get an idea of locations and pick what things cover it. Location value for coverage is static, so it matters little if it's over from your pants or your shirt.
Exact, because of that I'm try to figure out the precise armor coverage oh that body part, so I'll can calculate the coverage of various typology of garments that cover the same area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
The Pelvis hit location was introduced in Tactical Shooting and it was put into the abdomen sub-location table in Instant Armor and Armor Loadouts.
Thanks I was miss this. So "Abdomen" in GURPS mean "everything under ribs until the end of the spine, minus the groin" and because abdomen is 25% of the torso, the question become "what is the % of the pelvis compared with the whole abdomen?"

Tags
armor, hit location