Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-27-2016, 08:44 PM   #1
kmunoz

Default Positive Emanation-based power question(s)

So, I'm creating a "bardic power" that works similar to the way bards worked in Final Fantasy XI: the bard plays an instrument and a positive or negative effect emanates from his location. The effects include things like giving characters the Daredevil advantage temporarily.

It seems that the best way to construct one of these is as an Affliction with Area Effect and Emanation. But then I run into some trouble, because technically these aren't attacks - they're more like Maledictions, which only require a Concentration maneuver. But Maledictions are by definition ranged, and therefore can't be paired with Emanation. And on top of that, the Sense-Based option (Hearing) I'd want to take depends on whether it's a Malediction (-20%) or not (+150%).

(If I don't make it an Affliction, then something like Daredevil with Area Effect and Emanation is naturally permanent, which I don't want.)

Any ideas on how to best make this work?
kmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:56 PM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Positive Emanation-based power question(s)

Malediction can still be limited with Melee C, and then combined with Area Effect. Selective Area is a good plan, as you would at least want to exclude yourself when applying a disadvantage.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:00 PM   #3
kmunoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Malediction can still be limited with Melee C, and then combined with Area Effect.
Is that noted somewhere? I just assumed that a ranged-based enhancement of a ranged advantage couldn't be limited with Melee, since once Melee is on there, it's no longer a ranged advantage (and therefore can't take Malediction, just like with Emanation).

It would certainly bring down the cost of the abilities I'm making, since if I can use Malediction then the Sense-Based +150% becomes Sense-Based -20% and the Malediction+Melee only adds +70%. And on top of that, for positive effects I could eliminate the resistance roll entirely (since the Malediction's quick contest only happens if the target chooses to resist).

Last edited by kmunoz; 07-27-2016 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:12 PM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Malediction can still be limited with Melee C, and then combined with Area Effect. Selective Area is a good plan, as you would at least want to exclude yourself when applying a disadvantage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmunoz View Post
Is that noted somewhere? I just assumed that a ranged-based enhancement of a ranged advantage couldn't be limited with Melee, since once Melee is on there, it's no longer a ranged advantage (and therefore can't take Malediction).

It would certainly bring down the cost of the abilities I'm making, since if I can use Malediction then the Sense-Based +150% becomes Sense-Based -20% and the Malediction+Melee only adds +70%. And on top of that, for positive effects I could eliminate the resistance roll entirely (since the Malediction's quick contest only happens if the target chooses to resist).
Yeah, you can. But you're better off just doing Melee Attack + Requires Will vs. Will roll since it's all downside.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:14 PM   #5
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Yeah, you can. But you're better off just doing Melee Attack + Requires Will vs. Will roll since it's all downside.
Malediction does come with that nice little thing about ignoring DR, though. No sense letting somebody get +1 to resist just because they're wearing a heavy jacket.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:21 PM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Malediction does come with that nice little thing about ignoring DR, though. No sense letting somebody get +1 to resist just because they're wearing a heavy jacket.
Meh, buy Reliable 5 and you're good to go and it's still cheaper.

Become a Patron!
Old 07-27-2016, 10:26 PM   #7
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Meh, buy Reliable 5 and you're good to go and it's still cheaper.
Is Reliable allowed on Affliction? Seems like it's too cheap as a replacement for buying up Will, whether you're limited to Requires Will vs Will or using Malediction, especially when the RAW way to increase your odds with Affliction is to buy more levels at a stupidly high price.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:41 PM   #8
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Is Reliable allowed on Affliction? Seems like it's too cheap as a replacement for buying up Will, whether you're limited to Requires Will vs Will or using Malediction, especially when the RAW way to increase your odds with Affliction is to buy more levels at a stupidly high price.
Far as I know it is. There are some examples floating around, but I'm not capable of hunting for htose at the moment.

Edit: Looks like for something that's an attack you can't, but is Affliction an attack? Probably. You're still better off just buying another level of affliction instead of Malediction. Though that might change depending on what else you're adding.

Become a Patron!

Last edited by Christopher R. Rice; 07-27-2016 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:03 AM   #9
kmunoz

Quote:
Far as I know it is. There are some examples floating around, but I'm not capable of hunting for htose at the moment.

Edit: Looks like for something that's an attack you can't, but is Affliction an attack? Probably. You're still better off just buying another level of affliction instead of Malediction. Though that might change depending on what else you're adding.
It stops being an attack as soon as you use Malediction. ;)
Old 07-28-2016, 01:06 PM   #10
Anaraxes

Quote:
but is Affliction an attack?
Just happened to come across an old thread for other reasons where Kromm clarifies that "attacks" are indeed a broad category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
DR isn't an attack (unless delivered via an Affliction with the Advantage enhancement)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
"Yourself" is never a "target" in GURPS-speak. Only externally projected advantages that affect others in the first place have "targets." The Basic Set says "attacks" where "externally projected advantages that affect others in the first place" would be better; all Powers does is clarify this point.
From that, then, I'd say Afflictions are "attacks" when it comes to choosing traits when building abilities. Maledictions or Afflictions of Conditions that are "externally projected bad traits that affect others" probably aren't even as controversial in the first place, but I would think they're included as well, even though this text says "advantages".

(That particular thread is about Area Effect vs Affects Others. It's short, so feel free to re-read the whole thing for context.)
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote