Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 09-26-2010, 08:30 AM   #11
Jennifer

Default Re: In Nomine Second Edition: What have we learned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredofScissors View Post
- Make humans easier to play and less incompetent.

- Make the d666 a 3-18 range like GURPS (helps with above, too!) and link CD to margin of success to reduce randomness.
While I agree that the d666 is a flawed mechanic, I don't think that making In Nomine more like GURPS is a good idea. There's already a perfectly good "GURPS In Nomine" product for that.

From an analytical viewpoint, the above proposal can really be broken down into two parts:

- Make the d666 a 3-18 range like GURPS (helps with above, too!)

Whether or not switching to a 3d6 mechanic helps with the power balance between mortals and celestials really depends on how the character generation mechanics are changed to fit the range. If you leave them as is and compare an evenly distributed starting celestial (average stat 6) with an evenly distributed starting mortal (average stat rounded up to 3), then the celestial is 10 times more likely to succeed a stat check than the mortal on 3d6, but only 5 times more likely on the d666. This does not help with the power balance.

- and link CD to margin of success to reduce randomness.

This is actively antithetical to making mortals more playable. With the CD, a mortal is just as likely as a celestial to get a CD 6, if they manage to succeed at all (barring CD bonuses from TN over 12). With margin of success, mortals will hardly ever be able to get an extreme success.
Quote:
- If Superiors get expanded, I'd rather see someone new (Marc, Jean, etc.) than Michael or Dominic for the fourth time.
I'm guessing that Marc is already in the pipeline, since (IIRC) he was on the wishlist for a while, then disappeared?
Quote:
- Keep the focus on Christianity and the "Book" religions, please! If individual groups want to get all "American Gods", that's cool, but it shouldn't be a big part of the default game.
Christianity is firmly in CDAU turf. It should stay CDAU.
Quote:
We could call the new edition the "New Testament"!
As an in-joke on the boards, sure - but keep it off the cover if you want me to buy it.
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:16 AM   #12
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
While the GURPS 4e thread seems to have fallen apart,
I'm still here, but I can't do much unless other folks offer content.

I'll see what I can do this week to put another alpha-version document together; maybe that'll get folks interested again.

Quote:
I wanted to discuss what changes the hardcore fans would like to see if IN ever did a second edition.
Which is a completely different topic than "converting In Nomine to GURPS 4e", so of course it should be in a separate thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
Things on other people's lists that aren't on my own wish list:

9) "Third side": I don't want a third side in canon; it'd work fine as an optional non-canon expansion, but it would substantially change the theme of In Nomine.
Strongly agree here. In Nomine is a game about Good and Evil, black and white (or shades of gray) - bringing a third front into the War would dilute that.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.

Last edited by robkelk; 09-26-2010 at 09:20 AM.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:29 AM   #13
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
I'm still here, but I can't do much unless other folks offer content.

I'll see what I can do this week to put another alpha-version document together; maybe that'll get folks interested again.
Still interested; just have a lot of real-life stuff going on that has precluded digging through game mechanics for the moment.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:49 AM   #14
JCD

What is CDAU?

I sort of like the d666 mechanics. Maybe we need to dig into the GMG for ways to tweak the mechanics a bit for mortals.

Off the top of my head, how about giving every human one point in every attribute for free? Essentially it is a half a force bump and will still allow anyone who wants to play a weakling, an idiot, or a pushover without messing with his stats too much, since they need to put one in each anyway.

Hmm. Basic stats for a Celestial would be 6's (3, 3, and 3 Forces divided evenly) Current basic stats for a human is 2, 2, 1 on Forces, with 8,8 and 4 to spend on each stat. Adding the one would put a human potentially at 5's for the 2 and 2, 3's for the one force realm.

Or another way of looking at it is that a Celestial gets 36 attribute points (clumped up some). A human would get 20 in the old system, or 26 with this mod.

A simpler fix might be to remove the clumping from a human, who isn't made from forces and allow them to spend the 20 points whereever they want to. Then divide the realms by four and round up to get Forces for the few times a player needs to use them for songs or such.

If you did this, it would easily counterbalance the free cost of a vessel/1 a Celestial should arguably get.

Last edited by JCD; 09-26-2010 at 11:04 AM.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:00 AM   #15
Andygal

Quote:
What is CDAU?

I sort of like the d666 mechanics. Maybe we need to dig into the GMG for ways to tweak the mechanics a bit.
Canon Doubt and Uncertainty, means they left it up to individual GMs to decide exactly how true Christianity is.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:08 PM   #16
Rocket Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andygal View Post
Canon Doubt and Uncertainty, means they left it up to individual GMs to decide exactly how true Christianity is.
Along with many other things, such as the nature of God, the truth behind various religious figures and religions, the details of the Higher Heavens and the Lower Hells, and so on ...

Old 09-26-2010, 02:41 PM   #17
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andygal View Post
Thank you. I know the term, but not the acronym.

Andygal and Jennifer, what would you like for Jordi's dissonance condition?
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:17 PM   #18
Jennifer

Quote:
Andygal and Jennifer, what would you like for Jordi's dissonance condition?
I'd be vastly amused by "Eat what you kill," but that's probably a bad, bad idea... especially if you've been fighting servitors of Fleurity.
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:40 PM   #19
Notdan

There's an awful lot here to already strongly agree with. Sort out the bell curve, make mortals more playable in mixed campaigns, and make combat less of a slog would be my biggest three.

I'd change the points system - make attunements cheaper (at least at character creation) and stats and forces more expensive. (Possibly make your forces in a realm dictate the maximum possibly level of associated stats, but decouple the two in terms of what XP buy you)

I'd make sure that the core book was sensibly arranged, and make sure that vital information that has since appeared in the supplements gets ported over. I'd have a "heaven" supplement dealing with all the minor Archangels and extra choirs, and a "hell" supplement for minor princes and bands.

Have Ethereals as a "third side", but a minor one - they can have a significant effect on local politics, are never going to realistically compete with Heaven or Hell.

I'd make sure that the word "grey" was spelled properly ;)
Old 09-26-2010, 03:48 PM   #20
Rocket Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notdan View Post
I'd make sure that the word "grey" was spelled properly ;)
I can see why that color would be at the center of your thoughts. Do you feel we take too much license? Maybe we'll have to analyze it further ... ;)

(Thanks for the chuckle, by the way; both my mother and grandmother are English-born, so I sometimes have to watch my own spelling reflexes.)

Tags
meta, rules