Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #321
Nick Fury

Default Re: Ogre Kickstarter

So I have a somewhat practical question for someone at SJGames.

I just read over the Operation Newspaper scenario. (http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/scenarios/newsp.html)

It seems like a lot of the fun in that scenario is the attacker not knowing which buildings are which. Is that going to be possible with the 3D and shaped counters in this edition?

I really like the 3D counters, I'm just curious if that is an issue or if I missed something...

For the record, I'm new to Ogre. I remember playing it with my older brother growing up but I've only recently gotten into boardgames and this kickstarter is an awesome deal.
Nick Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #322
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Fury View Post
It seems like a lot of the fun in that scenario is the attacker not knowing which buildings are which. Is that going to be possible with the 3D and shaped counters in this edition?
The identification rule in that scenario is from Shockwave and 6e is supposed to include Shockwave, so it probably still has that rule. At a guess, you probably just use dummy counters of some kind until the unit is ID'd.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #323
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
The identification rule in that scenario is from Shockwave and 6e is supposed to include Shockwave, so it probably still has that rule. At a guess, you probably just use dummy counters of some kind until the unit is ID'd.
Hmm. I'd hate to see space on the counter sheets be taken up by dummy counters, but what about smaller chip counters in some dead space?
Old 04-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #324
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolanus View Post
Hmm. I'd hate to see space on the counter sheets be taken up by dummy counters
We know the game has dummy counter rules already, they're in the playtest scenario. Besides, I'm sure they've already thought of this. They had to when they made the Shockwave rules work with 3d buildings.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #325
offsides

Quote:
We know the game has dummy counter rules already, they're in the playtest scenario. Besides, I'm sure they've already thought of this. They had to when they made the Shockwave rules work with 3d buildings.
Given that there's 20 or so buildings in that scenario, I'm guessing there won't be that many dummy counters (and IIRC dummy units are fake armor, not unknown units). But it's easy enough to make numbered chits to put on the board until the building is identified, or even print up some "Building" counters with the actual building written/printed on the other side.

I'd love to see Operation Newspaper updated for the current release (IIRC, it mostly involves enumerating the buildings, since the "all the counters included with shockwave" description is somewhat out-of-date :)) I've never played it, but I've wanted to since I first read it...
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:27 PM   #326
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
Given that there's 20 or so buildings in that scenario, I'm guessing there won't be that many dummy counters (and IIRC dummy units are fake armor, not unknown units). But it's easy enough to make numbered chits to put on the board until the building is identified, or even print up some "Building" counters with the actual building written/printed on the other side.
Or you could use pennies or something. I'm guessing though, that we don't have to improvise, because they'd already have to have dealt with it.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #327
offsides

Quote:
Or you could use pennies or something. I'm guessing though, that we don't have to improvise, because they'd already have to have dealt with it.
Pennies don't quite work unless you're placing the buildings at random on the fly, since you need to know what building is where beforehand. I suppose you could just write the hex number next to the building name, but that's less fun than turning over a counter to reveal what's there :)
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #328
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
P I suppose you could just write the hex number next to the building name,
That's what I was thinking, since that's how that stuff works in a lot of games.
Quote:
but that's less fun than turning over a counter to reveal what's there :)
You could write it on post-its and put it under the marker.

Really though, I think we are being way premature, because OGRE 6e includes the rules from Shockwave, so this is almost certainly already covered in the rules.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #329
Nick Fury

Quote:
That's what I was thinking, since that's how that stuff works in a lot of games. You could write it on post-its and put it under the marker.

Really though, I think we are being way premature, because OGRE 6e includes the rules from Shockwave, so this is almost certainly already covered in the rules.
Well, I can certainly wait. As I mentioned, I'm new to this and I didn't quite understand how the two would work. I was imagining putting a small cloth or something on top of a 3D power plant and someone else being like "I know what you've got under there".
Nick Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #330
D351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Fury View Post
Well, I can certainly wait. As I mentioned, I'm new to this and I didn't quite understand how the two would work. I was imagining putting a small cloth or something on top of a 3D power plant and someone else being like "I know what you've got under there".
That would be very amusing..Perhaps the game will ship with several small pieces of cloth...
D351 is offline   Reply With Quote