Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-15-2005, 11:24 PM   #1
ehrbar

Default Funny New Guys Disappointment

I must admit, I'm somewhat disappointed that the e23 release Funny New Guys, for GURPS Technomancer, spends so much time talking about the M-16.

After all, the successor to the M-14 in the Merlin timeline, as established by Technomancer author David Pulver in the GURPS Technomancer Designer's Notes (a freely available sample article), is the Colt M-66, an elemental propellant slugthrower. The conventional AR-15/M-16 was passed over by the Merlin DoD and would never have made it to Vietnam, except maybe as a handful of testing samples.

GURPS Technomancer resources. Including The Renegade Mage's Unofficial GURPS Magic Spell Errata, last updated July 7th, 2023.
ehrbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 10:01 AM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Funny New Guys Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehrbar
After all, the successor to the M-14 in the Merlin timeline, as established by Technomancer author David Pulver in the GURPS Technomancer Designer's Notes (a freely available sample article), is the Colt M-66, an elemental propellant slugthrower.
Well, I guess that means that David's designer's notes have been superseded by later developments.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 10:15 AM   #3
HANS

>Well, I guess that means that David's designer's notes have been superseded by later developments.

Unlikely, as David's article specifically mentions that the AR-15 series was NOT adopted on Merlin. I'd rather hazard to guess that the author of FNG didn't read the article.
I, too, am a bit disappointed of FNG. I feel it spends too much time on the historical Vietnam War to be rated a true Technomancer supplement. I like it, being interested in the era and currently writing some stuff on it myself, but I think more could have been done to make it truely technomancery.

Cheers

HANS
HANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 11:01 AM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANS
Unlikely, as David's article specifically mentions that the AR-15 series was NOT adopted on Merlin.
You're missing my point. Pyramid articles are not canon and need not be respected in later published material.

Old 02-16-2005, 11:28 AM   #5
HANS

>You're missing my point. Pyramid articles are not canon and need not be respected in later published material.

So e23s are canon? I am not so sure.

Anyway, in this particular case, I take the viewpoint of the originator of the world over secondary material by anyone else anytime. Especially, and this is probably most relevant, since David's Elemental Propellant Slugthrowers are sooo incredibly cooler and appropriate to the setting than the same lame M16s that already didn't work properly in OUR timeline . . .

Cheers

HANS
Old 02-16-2005, 12:02 PM   #6
ehrbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard
Well, I guess that means that David's designer's notes have been superseded by later developments.
Disappointingly.

GURPS Technomancer resources. Including The Renegade Mage's Unofficial GURPS Magic Spell Errata, last updated July 7th, 2023.
ehrbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 12:14 PM   #7
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
So e23s are canon? I am not so sure.
Unless Kromm says differently, I'd think they would be, yes.

Quote:
Anyway, in this particular case, I take the viewpoint of the originator of the world over secondary material by anyone else anytime.
I shrug. David is fiendishly creative, but that doesn't mean his ideas are sacrosanct, particularly ideas that were cut from the published materials or were later add-ons.

Old 02-16-2005, 12:35 PM   #8
HANS

>Unless Kromm says differently, I'd think they would be, yes.

Hm. I've written two pretty long e23s so far. They didn't get an official playtest and as far as I know neither SJ nor Kromm read them (at least I didn't get the usual comments from either of them). I have little indication that other e23s were treated differently. Thus, I would hesitate to pronounce such material canon, no offence to Scott and his crew.

>David is fiendishly creative, but that doesn't mean his ideas are sacrosanct, particularly ideas that were cut from the published materials or were later add-ons.

Certainly, but I do prefer cut ideas of the original author to untested material of authors based on stuff written by the original author. Again, in this particular case, the newer stuff directly contradicts the original material, and is also less fun and appropriate to the setting. I can't see why anyone would, from a work-immanent point of view, prefer the newer interpretation.

Cheers

HANS
Old 02-16-2005, 12:59 PM   #9
jahn

Quote:
I can't see why anyone would, from a work-immanent point of view, prefer the newer interpretation.
Because different people have different criteria for reasonableness. Published-in-book-format material trumps magazine articles. The question in my mind is whether or not SJG treats their e23 material with the same care as their published books. If they do then SJG e23 published books are as canon as other books, if not then SJG e23 published books are only a step above magazine articles.

But that's just my opinion. If I was already using Elemental Propellant Slugthrowers in my campaign I'd still use them instead of what's written in Funny New Guys.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:58 PM   #10
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

In Nomine e23 material . . . it depends. If it has Superiors in it, it's gone through at least some playtest. If it's nothing but an adventure, it may or may not have, and is probably only iffily canon -- though I will try not to let too much by that really breaks canon.

But that's IN stuff, and because I'm a control-freak Djinn.

Tags
guns, technomancer