Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-22-2017, 11:10 AM   #41
Rasputin

Default Re: [DF] Turning bodies to loot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
It's your game, so you can run things however you'd like, but do note that the 2 lb rations are likely meant to represent a meal of jerky, cheese, and bread (probably in the form of an entirely-too-hard and possibly-moldy biscuit).
I'm actually very aware of this, almost to the point where I'm mildly annoyed that everyone feels the need to point this out as if I don't actually know this. (Pet peeve. Not to go off on anyone.) I'm using the 2 lb. number to stick with published GURPS rules, which indeed is to possibly leave things open for a Pyramid article.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:36 AM   #42
Anthony

Quote:
It's your game, so you can run things however you'd like, but do note that the 2 lb rations are likely meant to represent a meal of jerky, cheese, and bread (probably in the form of an entirely-too-hard and possibly-moldy biscuit). It leaves room for alternative foodstuffs, such as Dwarven Rations (cram?) which weigh 1 lb per meal, or Elven Rations (lembas?), which only weigh around 0.167 lb per meal, so having fresh meat be 1 lb per meal would hardly be breaking from DF rules.
Though certainly ahistoric. As far as realism goes, its largely an issue of water content, the dry weight of a 1,000 calorie meal (reasonable for adventurers) is about 0.5 lb if it's mostly carbs and protein, maybe 0.3 lb if it's quite fatty but still provides adequate protein.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:16 PM   #43
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Though certainly ahistoric.
We're starting to thread-drift here. However, there was an article from S.E. Mortimer from the second-generation of Pyramid about all this, making me again rue the day my hard drive with my archives of that generation of Pyramid died an unrecoverable death.

My GURPS blog.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:31 PM   #44
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
But regardless, the rules in DF8 only talk about keeping gutted parts a few days to sell them in town, while having them being lasting trade goods would need some salt (another trade good) and another skill roll.
DF2 has general rules for using your skills to make stuff during downtime.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:25 AM   #45
Varyon

Quote:
I'm actually very aware of this, almost to the point where I'm mildly annoyed that everyone feels the need to point this out as if I don't actually know this. (Pet peeve. Not to go off on anyone.) I'm using the 2 lb. number to stick with published GURPS rules, which indeed is to possibly leave things open for a Pyramid article.
Apologies if you were already aware, I'm just confused by your "published GUPRS rules" stance, considering the LTC3 rules for 1 lb meat = 1 meal are, in fact, published GURPS rules.

Actually, while composing a response to Anthony, I decided to recheck DF1... and found that the rations there actually do match his 0.5 lb value. The cost is $2. 1 lb per meal is for fresh meat, as you'd get from a carcass, while the 0.5 lb value is more appropriate for, well, the jerky+cheese+bread default.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:17 PM   #46
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
DF2 has general rules for using your skills to make stuff during downtime.
That isn't the question. What skill do you use to preserve a fur? And often, this isn't happening during downtime, but before you get back to town, as the fur will spoil?

(Cracks open LTC3). Professional Skill (Tanner) is the answer to my question. It has a Leatherworking default, but few characters will have either skill. Guess the party scout is going to be disappointed.

My GURPS blog.

Last edited by Rasputin; 06-24-2017 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:20 PM   #47
Rasputin

Quote:
Actually, while composing a response to Anthony, I decided to recheck DF1... and found that the rations there actually do match his 0.5 lb value. The cost is $2. 1 lb per meal is for fresh meat, as you'd get from a carcass, while the 0.5 lb value is more appropriate for, well, the jerky+cheese+bread default.
(Cracks open a character sheet.) You're right. Apologies.

My GURPS blog.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:27 AM   #48
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
(Cracks open LTC3). Professional Skill (Tanner) is the answer to my question. It has a Leatherworking default, but few characters will have either skill. Guess the party scout is going to be disappointed.
I would also allow Survival or IQ at -4 at that TL.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 09:05 AM   #49
Varyon

Quote:
That isn't the question. What skill do you use to preserve a fur? And often, this isn't happening during downtime, but before you get back to town, as the fur will spoil?

Does the party have access to magic? evileeyore's post (#17 in this thread) makes note of some Food College spells that should handle this for the party. You might also be able to have magic items with similar effects - for DnD I once created a Bag of Preservation (using Gentle Repose, as there was no Preserve Food type spell) that would have worked well here (in the game I GM'd I used it as an excuse to give the characters some perishable goods that would help them in the desert, as I hadn't read the supplement for desert travel and hazards until they were already in the desert; in the game I played I wanted my Ranger to have fresh fruit to supplement all the game he was catching for the party).
Old 06-25-2017, 10:45 AM   #50
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
I would also allow Survival or IQ at -4 at that TL.
I think that would be fine for basic rawhide or minimally tanned leather. Even I know that there's generally enough brains in a mammal to tan its own hide.
But I believe that preserving fur is much trickier, and not something that even a well educated layman, which I am not at all, could realistically attempt.

Also I wouldn't want such an overarching skill like Survival to step too hard on the toes of other skills of less adventuring utility like Leatherworking.

Tags
body parts, gurps, loot the body, rations, selling