Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-28-2010, 10:11 AM   #1
Sunrunners_Fire

Default [Powers] Leech Enhancement Question

Ok. I'm trying to build a set of powers for a player's character in one of my games. Specifically, a character based on the Talents in the Rowan series.

The ability I'm having issues with (other than, well, the huge increased range modifiers ... heh) is their ability to 'lean' on a power generator and use that to fuel their abilities for interstellar telepathy, teleportation and telekinesis.

I have decided to treat this ability as Leech (Electrical) as a variant off of Leech (Mechanical). The downside of this is that it (unless I completely misread the power text) requires an action to use, every second, for a published time-frame of eight to ten hours ...

Hence the question!

How do I price a "sticky" enhancement that removes the need to keep hitting the power-generator-target so long as the first action succeeded in getting a hit? (Hit Once, Leech Constantly)

Cyclic doesn't fit as it wears off rapidly for something that basically drains X (* 360 kW) energy per second.

Slapping Extended Difficulty (Permanent) (+150%) on it doesn't fit the bill either.

Suggestions? Something I missed? Better ways to emulate a constant drain that gives extra oomph to an ability?
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:35 AM   #2
lexington

I think a better way would be to make a powerful Alternative Ability that has the restriction (Only With Access To Lots Of Electricity -80%).
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
Refplace

Default Re: [Powers] Leech Enhancement Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Ok. I'm trying to build a set of powers for a player's character in one of my games. Specifically, a character based on the Talents in the Rowan series.

The ability I'm having issues with (other than, well, the huge increased range modifiers ... heh) is their ability to 'lean' on a power generator and use that to fuel their abilities for interstellar telepathy, teleportation and telekinesis.

I have decided to treat this ability as Leech (Electrical) as a variant off of Leech (Mechanical). The downside of this is that it (unless I completely misread the power text) requires an action to use, every second, for a published time-frame of eight to ten hours ...

Hence the question!

How do I price a "sticky" enhancement that removes the need to keep hitting the power-generator-target so long as the first action succeeded in getting a hit? (Hit Once, Leech Constantly)

Cyclic doesn't fit as it wears off rapidly for something that basically drains X (* 360 kW) energy per second.

Slapping Extended Difficulty (Permanent) (+150%) on it doesn't fit the bill either.

Suggestions? Something I missed? Better ways to emulate a constant drain that gives extra oomph to an ability?
Best way is probably Compartmentalized Mind only for maintaining Leech
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:45 AM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Way. Way. Way to complicated. When I was playtesting GURPS Spaceships 7 I argued to put this in. Luckily most of the authors agreed, and I specifically had in mind Anne s Talent series. If you need to have some sort of reason why a psi can tap this engine or that; make it a perk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GURPS Spaceships 7; pp. 14
Power Siphoning
Optionally, mages or psis can draw power (as FP) directly from any
power plant that provides magical or psi Power Points, respectively. This
does not require a spell or ability, but the user must remain in contact with
a power outlet in a control station within either the power plant or the
engine room. Mages can draw up to (HT x 0.7 x Magery squared) FP per second;
those with Magery 0 draw HT/3 FP per second. Round up. Psis use the
same formula, replacing Magery with their best psionic Talent. This FP only
powers supernatural abilities; it cannot replenish the user’s personal points.
On a small ship, or if many users are siphoning power at once, this
fully uses one or more Power Points. Divide the ship’s weight in tons by
four; round up. This is the maximum FP per second that each Power
Point can provide.
Up to 1/20 of this amount can be siphoned away with negligible effects
– some lights dim and flicker. If more is used, the engineer must treat the
users as a high-energy “system,” allocating one or more Power Points to
them specifically for the purpose of siphoning.
Ghostdancer

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:48 AM   #5
Langy

Question: Why would you need to roll to maintain the Leech in the first place? Leech does not require a roll to use. If you're holding onto the target (say, by shaking hands) you can automatically Leech from them, no roll required. It may or may not require an Attack action, but I'm unclear on that.

EDIT: Misread the post. Doesn't have to do with rolling.

It's still unclear if you need to use an Attack maneuver to leech, but my reading of the text says 'no'.

Last edited by Langy; 04-28-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:02 AM   #6
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Question: Why would you need to roll to maintain the Leech in the first place? Leech does not require a roll to use. If you're holding onto the target (say, by shaking hands) you can automatically Leech from them, no roll required. It may or may not require an Attack action, but I'm unclear on that.

EDIT: Misread the post. Doesn't have to do with rolling.

It's still unclear if you need to use an Attack maneuver to leech, but my reading of the text says 'no'.
Powers, page 96, under Special Enhancements: "Roll the Quick Contest of Will for Malediction every second (once per turn, in combat)." Though I agree. It doesn't seem to require a to-work check without Malediction. Hmm.

The only problem is that the published material has the Talents drawing off of small man-portable gas engines for smaller boosts. And they were only in the same room, but definitely not touching the the source.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:05 PM   #7
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire
Did you dismiss the idea of Regeneration with an Accessibility?
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:11 PM   #8
starslayer

Link+20%

You can do ability- or you can do ability AND leech at the same time. It is just a special effect that the leech targets not the subject.

A similar setup would be to link healing to leech, you can transfer life from one person to another person.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:20 PM   #9
Captain-Captain

Quote:
Powers, page 96, under Special Enhancements: "Roll the Quick Contest of Will for Malediction every second (once per turn, in combat)." Though I agree. It doesn't seem to require a to-work check without Malediction. Hmm.

The only problem is that the published material has the Talents drawing off of small man-portable gas engines for smaller boosts. And they were only in the same room, but definitely not touching the the source.

Cosmic: No roll required.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:28 PM   #10
Langy

Quote:

How about FP+Granted By Familiar (Small Gasoline Engine)?:p
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enhancements, gurps 4th edition, leech, powers