Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 06-01-2019, 10:41 PM   #1
Larry.irish

Default Mis-cast Mk.IV Ogre...?

Hi folks -
A quick question - has anyone else had a Mk IV Ogre with a mis-cast main battery? One (not both) of my Mk IV’s seems to have had too little plastic in the mold. Photo-link: <https://share.icloud.com/photos/00rWSR622vvdqPgw6U7UAAbkQ#Portland_-_Deering_Center>

Thanks,
Larry
Larry.irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 05:46 AM   #2
Mack_JB

Default Re: Mis-cast Mk.IV Ogre...?

I had a few like that, though none were as bad. I suspect the dies were cold yet and caused the plastic to not flow properly, or the injection pressure wasn't high enough.

On mine, I positioned the barrels so the unfilled section was "down" and less visible.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 07:11 AM   #3
cephalopagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry.irish View Post
Hi folks -
A quick question - has anyone else had a Mk IV Ogre with a mis-cast main battery? One (not both) of my Mk IV’s seems to have had too little plastic in the mold. Photo-link: <https://share.icloud.com/photos/00rWSR622vvdqPgw6U7UAAbkQ#Portland_-_Deering_Center>

Thanks,
Larry
All of my MBs in the many minis Mk IV had the same problem.
cephalopagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 07:29 AM   #4
Larry.irish

Hey folks -

Wow, that stinks!

Any chance SJGames has any kind of replacement policy? 🙄

- Larry
Larry.irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:22 AM   #5
Cat

All of mine from Many Minis are like that.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:41 AM   #6
FJCestero

Just checked my own stash (yes, it's still waiting after all this time) and can confirm this seems widespread. For whatever reason(s) both the black sprues and those tans that came in the Battle Box that's inside the Many Mini's escaped this horrible fate. Their mains are OK, but all the others (red, blue, dark green) are, literally, half baked.

So it's not something with the molds themselves. I do have samples of perfectly formed MBs, but something in the casting process -- and from the widespread nature, systemic. Not a horrible thing, you just turn them down as Mack_JB said, but still -- something SJG is gonna want to track down and resolve ASAP.

Don't know much what can be done at this stage except to learn lessons about quality control.
FJCestero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 12:58 PM   #7
Tim Kauffman

x2 Combine Infantry in OGRE BATTLE BOX I recently received were missing arms.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128248...posted-public/

I was going to post this somewhere, sometime before, but then figured I'd let it slide as I am very thankful SJGs is making all this great OGRE stuff available, and I understand things happen, life isn't perfect...but on second thought, this really isn't acceptable.
Old 06-02-2019, 03:24 PM   #8
ColBosch

I've had literally no miscast pieces out of my dozen or so copies of Set 1 and 2.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 10:16 PM   #9
totalfailure

I haven’t checked my own stash that closely, but from the description and pics, this sounds like it was ‘short shot’. This is an injection molding term for when there are incomplete parts because not enough plastic was injected, the temperature/consistency/pressure of the plastic was incorrect; etc. It usually happens in very thin sections, or parts of the mold farthest away from the injection point. You can read some more about it here - http://www.dc.engr.scu.edu/cmdoc/dg_...t/f4000001.htm

It’s probably unlikely they’ll replace any of these, though. This really should have been caught right while the parts were being run. If entire color runs were affected, the machine operators weren’t paying attention, or didn’t care. Or both.
totalfailure is offline   Reply With Quote