Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
Humabout

Default [Space] Orbital Spreadsheet & Information on Sol

I am just posting this to share what might be a useful tool for people. It is a spreadsheet that contains a plethora of information about the planets, a bunch of dwarf planets and candidates, and a few of the larger asteroids. I do warn you that the (Time-)Average Distance tabs are currently inaccurate, but correcting that is top priority. Two other additions will be the factoring in of relativity for brachistochrone orbits, and a calculator for transfer times between different objects in orbit about the sun.

I will edit this thread with future updates for the sheet.

Sol System Spreadsheet v1.0 - Warning: Hohmann transfer data is wonky, and time-averages for distance are incorrect. These are top priorities for v1.01.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.

Last edited by Humabout; 07-10-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:09 AM   #2
jacobmuller

Default Re: [Space] Orbiatl Spreadsheet & Information on Sol

I like it. I'm sure it would be useful to THS folk too.
Thank you:D
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:55 AM   #3
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

The original question came from THS folks indeed. (Off-topic: anyone needs a THS wealth/income/CoL calculator? Yes, it's simplistic, but it saves some annoyances when people commonly change jobs, workhours, Status and location.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout
Would it be more useful for you to input actual orbital data (semi-major axes, eccentricity of the orbits, true anomaly of the bodies, etc) or to simply input the distances between the objects? This is pertaining to brachistochrone (constant acceleration) transfers.

Similarly, if you want NASA-level transfers, you'd need a lot of data on the orbits of the two bodies, even for a simple Hohmann transfer. If you are okay for with a level of GM fudging (or are even planning on fudging your numbers anyway), you only need the distance from each body to the star.
Orbital data would be better, but of course this is just a preference.

Also, I think the sheet failed to convert to google.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #4
Humabout

Orbital detail it will be then. I gave myself a headache last night over the math, and thanks to Brett, I found another issue I will need to solve with the spreadhseet. So for now, it's probably best it isn't very downloadable. LoL.

I've already been working on corrected formulae for the spreadsheet and can generate the orbital equation for the initial orbit based on the semi-major axis, eccentricity, true anomaly, and mass of the body being orbitted. I still need to sort out the orbital equation for the destination orbit and the distance between any point on either, given the true anomalies of both positions (the latter is pretty trivial). With that, I can give you brachistochrone transfer data. Hohmann transfers assume circular orbits, so if you want numbers for non-circular orbits, I will need to do some research. Eventually, I would like this to be that accurate, but I don't know what your time constraints are like, either.

[EDIT]
Updated the link so it downloads the file from Dropbox.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.

Last edited by Humabout; 07-10-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar system, space, spaceships