Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
Stripe

Default [Spaceships] Power Points for Smaller Systems?

Spaceships 7: Divergent and Paranormal Tech, p. 4, allows for smaller systems to be installed into vessels using the stats for hardware for a vessel one SM smaller. A few systems require special treatment, and those are noted, but the rules on p. 4 only discuss smaller power systems not being able to power larger systems.

Rules as written and canonically speaking, what about smaller systems powered by larger reactors? If a ship generates four power points and has four high-powered systems and only one high-powered smaller system, does that system effectively use a whole power point that could be used for regular SM systems?

Page references appreciated.

Thanks!
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: [Spaceships] Power Points for Smaller Systems?

IIRC RAW they are incompatible. But by common sense, small PPs should count as 1/3 of a normal PP (in both directions).
Old 06-19-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
Stripe

Thanks. Naturally, I agree that it should, but I'm wondering what RAW is on the matter and where it's located.
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
Ulzgoroth

SS7 pages 4 and 5 say nothing about the power consumption of smaller systems in terms of full-size power points. Thus if you're playing at strict reading rather than trying to do the right thing, logically a small system which consumes one power point still consumes an entire power point even if it comes from a bigger reactor. You'd be well advised to include smaller system power plants instead.

Obviously, if you're trying to do what makes sense, each full-size system power point can be used as three smaller system power points.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #5
RyanW

Or a simpler but less precise method: a system split into smaller subsystems counts as a high power system if any of the subsystems do.
RyanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:58 PM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Or a simpler but less precise method: a system split into smaller subsystems counts as a high power system if any of the subsystems do.
Practically speaking, unless you have a subsystem that consumes more than one power point, this will always work and has the benefit of being a simple rule.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #7
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Canonically, the mention in Spaceships 7 is the only place where power usage is discussed.

Spaceships 8 has one ship, the Golub-Class USV (p. 38) with a Smaller SM Weapon Battery and a full sized reactor. The Smaller SM System location is listed as being high powered. OTOH, the Sudbury-Class USV on p. 39 has a Smaller Weapon Battery and a Fuel Cell to power it, and the Smaller SM System is not listed as being high powered, though the Weapon Battery does have a [!] notation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
That seems to be what was decided upon for Spaceships 8 - unless the entire Smaller SM System is self-powered, in which case it doesn't count as a high powered system.

Personally I would just combine them, with Smaller Power Points counting as 1/3 of a full Power Point. That's why I offer that option in my Spaceships Design Spreadsheet.
ericbsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:31 AM   #8
SCAR

Small System Power Points counting as 1/3 of a Full Power Point is also consistent if you look at Beam Weapon Output.

For Example:
A Medium Battery at SM+10 can mount 3x 1GJ Beams - which requires 1 (SM+10) PP
Using Small Systems, an SM+10 slot can hold 3x SM+9 Major Batteries, each of which would be 1GJ and each of which would require 1x SM+9 PP.

Therefore, 1x (SM+10) PP = 3x (SM+9) PP.
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power points, smaller systems, spaceships