Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-27-2014, 01:44 PM   #11
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week: Absolute Timing/Chronolocation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
To be honest, 'cinematic and mundane' looks like an oxymoron to me :|
I'm guessing the intent there is for "mundane" to mean 'not Exotic or Supernatural'.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:48 PM   #12
kirbwarrior

What's really weird is there is a perk in PU2:Perks that lets you have the equivalent of a wristwatch. It is even folded into the Computer perk in UT. The wording in Perks makes it sounds like Absolute Timing does let you know time to the second. On that note, how much would it be worth to know time down to the smallest unit of time you can conceive of?

EDIT: Nevermind, I can't find that perk now...
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:00 AM   #13
Pomphis

Probably Accessory. But that means that your body incorporates the gadget, not that you have the ability without any physical item. Which makes a difference if you are x-rayed, try to pass airport security, are exposed to an EMP, etc.
Pomphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:01 AM   #14
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomphis View Post
Probably Accessory. But that means that your body incorporates the gadget, not that you have the ability without any physical item. Which makes a difference if you are x-rayed, try to pass airport security, are exposed to an EMP, etc.
No, despite the wording, Accessory is used to represent capability equivalent to the gadget, not necessarily literally having the referenced gadget as part of your body. (See for instance the description of Air Jet.)
Old 07-28-2014, 08:52 AM   #15
Otaku

Quote:
To be honest, 'cinematic and mundane' looks like an oxymoron to me :|
It strikes me odd as well, but that is how RAW differentiates them. Basic Set p.32-33 explains Exotic, Supernatural, and Mundane traits, and when explaining Mundane second paragraph of page 33 it states

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic Set Characters p.33
Some mundane traits are intended for cinematic campaigns (See The Cinematic Campaign, p. 488); the GM may forbid them in realistic games.
"Exotic" versus "Supernatural" are special GURPS descriptors as well, as opposed to their other English meanings.

Quote:
Were your questions about AbTim answered?
Still hoping someone has some in game examples of its use for us to go over. >.>
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:04 PM   #16
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
It strikes me odd as well, but that is how RAW differentiates them.
That last post of mine (that you quoted) has a snarky tone that I didn't intend. My apologies to anyone it offended.
Yeah, Basic notes that they are not exclusive, but me and the RAW don't always see eye to eye :\

Or is that 'eye to page'?
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:18 PM   #17
Otaku

Quote:
That last post of mine (that you quoted) has a snarky tone that I didn't intend. My apologies to anyone it offended.
Yeah, Basic notes that they are not exclusive, but me and the RAW don't always see eye to eye :\

Understood; I wasn't sure if there was or was not snark, I just wanted to be clear that this time, the strange wording choices weren't my own but rather were RAW. XD
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:04 PM   #18
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:

John McClane isn't a wizard, space alien or superhuman.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:46 AM   #19
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
No, despite the wording, Accessory is used to represent capability equivalent to the gadget, not necessarily literally having the referenced gadget as part of your body. (See for instance the description of Air Jet.)
Yes it has been used wrongly a few places. But it *is* wrong.

The abilities of lots of things you could have implanted in your body are fair perks too, but they aren't actually the same perk as Accessory, I think it is used like that mostly to avoid the effort of inventing a new name.

You can have stuff implanted as an Accessory in a setting where it exists as a piece of equipment that is absolutely not fairly priced as a perk. And indeed you should pay the cash cost *too*. Certainly if the thing implanted costs more than you could buy after trading a point for cash. Accessory is a perk version of Payload (one object, hard to get in or out, but not as size limited), not a perk version of Gadget.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:51 AM   #20
Pomphis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Basic page 100:

Your body incorporates a tool or
other useful gadget (e.g., a siren or a
vacuum cleaner) that provides minor,
noncombat benefits not otherwise
covered by a specific advantage.

Power-Ups 2 page 10:

Your body incorporates a useful gadget that provides minor
benefits not covered by a specific advantage. You might even
be an item of the specified type, built on points; e.g., an intelligent
magical harp would list Accessory (Harp) among its
perks. The following Accessories are usually acceptable, provided
that you’re big enough to contain (or be) the item:
Pomphis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
absolute timing, advantage, advantage of the week, aotw, basic, chronolocation, week