Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-28-2017, 02:55 PM   #1
PseudoFenton

Default Steven Universe Bubble Power?

I want to make the bubble power that Steven (from Steven Universe) uses.

For those who don't watch the show, it's effectively a toggleable magical hamster ball that he can run around inside and protects against damage. It can move with him as he runs on the inside of it, but if its rolling down a hill or knocked suddenly he can get flung about inside it and the ball will move on its own momentum. You can see through the bubble and talk through it.

If activated with someone next to him (I'd say within Close range) they're also inside it with him. It can be expanded to accommodate more people, as well as selectively allowing others to enter it once its activated. It's air tight when in a vacuum or underwater, but allows air to pass through it otherwise, allowing it to stay active without suffocating those inside. Lastly, if it takes too much damage at once it pops, otherwise it entirely blocks all damage directed at it.

I've a few basic ideas of how to go about building it, but many of its elements are leaving me a little stumped. Anyone got any idea how to build all of that?
Old 03-28-2017, 03:12 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Steven Universe Bubble Power?

The problem, I think is the "roll around like a hamster ball" part. Everything else can use the Affects Others enhancement, but No Legs is a disadvantage. Doing this as Aura of Power is doable but then there there exists the possibility that someone inside the radius fails to be benedicted.

ETA: Or, duh, Temporary Disadvantage.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 03-29-2017 at 04:36 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:22 PM   #3
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoFenton View Post

If activated with someone next to him (I'd say within Close range) they're also inside it with him. It can be expanded to accommodate more people, as well as selectively allowing others to enter it once its activated. It's air tight when in a vacuum or underwater, but allows air to pass through it otherwise, allowing it to stay active without suffocating those inside. Lastly, if it takes too much damage at once it pops, otherwise it entirely blocks all damage directed at it.

I've a few basic ideas of how to go about building it, but many of its elements are leaving me a little stumped. Anyone got any idea how to build all of that?
DR (Affects Others, +50%; Area Effect, +50%; Force field, +20%, Link, +10%; Nuisance, Hamster Ball (may be forced to move in wrong direction, etc), -5%; All or Nothing, -10%) [10.75/level]
Vacuum Support (Affects Others, +50%; Area Effect, +50%; Force field, +20%, Link, +10%; Nuisance, Hamster Ball (may be forced to move in wrong direction, etc), -5%; All or Nothing, -10%) [11]
Pressure Support 2 (Affects Others, +50%; Area Effect, +50%; Force field, +20%, Link, +10%; Nuisance, Hamster Ball (may be forced to move in wrong direction, etc), -5%; All or Nothing, -10%) [22]

Add Extra levels of Area Effect for a larger sphere and the magical PM if you like.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:24 PM   #4
Celti

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
The problem, I think is the "roll around like a hamster ball" part. Everything else can use the Affects Others enhancement, but No Legs is a disadvantage. Doing this as Aura of Power is doable but then there there exists the possibility that someone inside the radius fails to be benedicted.
That last bit is covered by the All or Nothing limitation, p. 17 of Sorcery. If it works, it affects everyone; if someone resists, it doesn't work.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:55 PM   #5
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
That last bit is covered by the All or Nothing limitation, p. 17 of Sorcery. If it works, it affects everyone; if someone resists, it doesn't work.
Thank you! I knew I had seen it around somewhere but could not recall where and eyeballed the limitation. Or remembered it better than I thought.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 03-29-2017, 07:34 AM   #6
Culture20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoFenton View Post
Lastly, if it takes too much damage at once it pops, otherwise it entirely blocks all damage directed at it.
Is there a limitation anywhere that temporarily burns out regular DR if it is bypassed by one point? Almost, but not quite, entirely unlike semi-ablative?
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:11 PM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
DR (Affects Others, +50%; Area Effect, +50%; Force field, +20%, Link, +10%; Nuisance, Hamster Ball (may be forced to move in wrong direction, etc), -5%; All or Nothing, -10%) [10.75/level]
Vacuum Support (Affects Others, +50%; Area Effect, +50%; Force field, +20%, Link, +10%; Nuisance, Hamster Ball (may be forced to move in wrong direction, etc), -5%; All or Nothing, -10%) [11]
Pressure Support 2 (Affects Others, +50%; Area Effect, +50%; Force field, +20%, Link, +10%; Nuisance, Hamster Ball (may be forced to move in wrong direction, etc), -5%; All or Nothing, -10%) [22]

Add Extra levels of Area Effect for a larger sphere and the magical PM if you like.
This, although I would probably add Temporary Disadvantage (No Legs: rolls), too.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:29 PM   #8
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
This, although I would probably add Temporary Disadvantage (No Legs: rolls), too.
Yeah, from the description that is probably a better idea.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 03-29-2017, 04:35 PM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Should probably also have Doesn't Breathe (Oxygen Storage; Affects Others ect.); Steven and Connie were underwater for awhile and Steven was stuck in space for some amount of time as well.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:59 PM   #10
PseudoFenton

Okay, so a few additional criteria I'm now aware are lacking.

I need the ability to prevent others leaving the bubble without permission (they can of cause just hit the bubble or the user to get it to pop or drop). Equally I need the user to be unable to expel another person who is within the bubble against their will (ie, they need to voluntarily walk out of it to exit) - although the bubble can be dismissed and reformed smaller to exclude them if they are far enough away.
I don't have sorcery, so not quite sure how this works in conjunction with the All or Nothing modifier.

I also need to prevent those inside the bubble from attacking anything outside of it. Ie, all attacks should hit the "inside" of the bubble, even if its your power. I'm not sure the current build supports this, as I've never seen anything that suggests force field DR affects your own attacks too. Is there a limitation anywhere which adds that?

I'm assuming its a Nuisance Effect to have the ability drop (the bubble "pop") if any damage exceeds it, requiring it being reactivated before it stops any other damage. Although it seems like it should be more major, like some sort of extreme ablative (although without the need to regen it back) or a variant on uncontrollable or something, or at the very least a different take on maximum duration (as I don't mind it locking the power down for a while afterwards).

Any suggestions on these points?