Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-08-2012, 03:02 PM   #1001
Ji ji

Default Re: List Of your favorite Custom Perks

Dual Weapon Style. You've perfectioned a combat style involving two different weapon.

Effect: you can select a weapon skill as "off-hand skill" in conjunction with another, specified weapon skill. Now you can use primary hand's skill level as off-hand skill level too. For example, you can take "knife > axe/mace". When you wield an axe/mace in primary hand, you can use the same skill level for a knife wielded in off-hand.

Note: this perk doesn't override the regular off-hand skill penalty. To eliminate it, you need the "off-hand weapon training" perk.
Furthermore, only skill level is involved, not the skill itself. For example, if you have "whip > rapier" and rapier skill 14, you cannot claim fencing parry on a whip parry, even if you're wielding a rapier in your primary hand; simply, you consider whip skill as 14.
Ji ji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #1002
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ji ji View Post
Dual Weapon Style. You've perfectioned a combat style involving two different weapon.

Effect: you can select a weapon skill as "off-hand skill" in conjunction with another, specified weapon skill. Now you can use primary hand's skill level as off-hand skill level too. For example, you can take "knife > axe/mace". When you wield an axe/mace in primary hand, you can use the same skill level for a knife wielded in off-hand.
Interesting. It's basically a specific form of Skill Adaptation, but more limited in application. In a game where I didn't allow wide use of Skill Adaptation I might allow Dual Weapon Style. Still feels pretty cinematic though.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:26 AM   #1003
primanator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Interesting. It's basically a specific form of Skill Adaptation, but more limited in application. In a game where I didn't allow wide use of Skill Adaptation I might allow Dual Weapon Style. Still feels pretty cinematic though.
I love it - it is the only way to ever get munchkins to dual wield differebt weapons. I have gotten a little tired of dual broadswords :-)
primanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:28 AM   #1004
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by primanator View Post
I love it - it is the only way to ever get munchkins to dual wield differebt weapons. I have gotten a little tired of dual broadswords :-)
Well it's not like they're identical swords... one is fire and one is ice. I think they represent his anger and angst or something. ;)
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #1005
Ji ji

This perk was not intended to be cinematic. On the contrary, it would be a fix to deficitary two weapon fighting game mechanics.

Learning to fight with two weapon at a time is totally different from using a weapon you know in each hand. In my games, cross parry itself need its own perk to be performed, because there's nothing istinctual or automatic in parrying a blow with two weapons together. You must practice a lot of time to effectively use two weapons together. And, if you learn to use an axe/sword/etc in primary hand and a little weapon in the secondary, you can for sure effectively fight with your primary weapon alone, but this doesn't involve to be capabe of using your secondary weapon in main hand. And so forth.

So, the perk would simulate this kind of training in "standard rules" games.
[When I'm GM I prefer deep changes in some aspect of rules (for example, max one weapon with reach over 1, or there are big penalties), but this is another story.]
Ji ji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #1006
Sense of Duty (Kittens)

Mana Recalibrator When you have a Critical Failure on a spell, you get a Karma point you can use during the session to reroll the outcome of another spell.

This was inspired by Karma Bank
Old 10-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #1007
Henchman99942

I searched the thread and didn't find this:

"Owns a web site."

This is a common perk today. While you can buy a web site with money, this perk includes a certain number of dedicated viewers and subscribers. The subscribers pay for the site's logistic requirements. I haven't placed a point cost on this as an advantage... figure use something like the allies advantage but with a (1/5th) point cost reduction for 'fans' (similar to favor). But as a 1 point perk, it works as is.

It can serve as a plot point for introducing new contacts, missions, allies, dependents, enemies. etc...

I have several characters with the 'owns web site' perk

One is a warping thief that films herself popping into bank vaults, jewelery stores, museums, etc... and stealing stuff. She then uploads the video to overseas servers and links to it on her web site.

An other character is a stuntman who performs crazy motorcycle stunts and films himself doing it.

One player in my campaign is a faith healer and he has a web site that shows his nation wide tour schedule and testimonies of people that he has healed. (His enemies track him through his web site, too)
Henchman99942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #1008
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Extreme Medicine
Divide the penalties for using medical skills upon yourself by 1+x (this is a levelled perk). Always round towards the more penalised skill level. While the first level may be borderline realistic, higher levels are likely either cinematic or exotic.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #1009
Sense of Duty (Kittens)

Weak Link Strengthener When your skill is the lowest in a group skill roll (think Stealth or Hiking) you get +1.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:21 PM   #1010
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sense of Duty (Kittens) View Post
Weak Link Strengthener When your skill is the lowest in a group skill roll (think Stealth or Hiking) you get +1.
Seems a bit strong, as it provides +1 on many defaults.

Tags
house rules, perks