Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 01-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
mitch-john

Default serious help needed with card rule freindship at stake

Ok i need help with this card. It is important, me and a some friends were playing and got into a argument and ended up loosing freinds because of it, i take borad games seriously. this is the set up

Freind is fighting monster, we all play cards on the monster so the monster will defeate him. the bad stuff is he eats you, you are dead. so already he is mad about loosing then he has the dice and is about to rule when i say 'wait i have a card' i play 'curse! firmly attached doberman- You automaticly fail your next run away attempt' he says that it does not affect hi, because he was about to rule so this wouldnt be his NEXT run attempt. i disagree because it was his next run away, but he insists that it was during his run away and that it was to late. i said that it would only be to late if you rolled already, (which i still wonder if the card would still work) we eneded up not agreeing and i read him the rule which says (in an loud argument and cant decide on who is right the owner gets the last say) whihc then he cursed me out and we havent talked in weeks.

all imput would greatly help
mitch-john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: serious help needed with card rule freindship at stake

When game arguments start to get heated, it's time to take a break.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
Reddog

If this is a good friend, tell him he was right and let it go. No game is worth losing friends over.
Reddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
Mister Ed

I'm pretty sure the Doberman would apply to this attempt, but I don't have the card, so I can't be sure.

However, I'm not even sure if the answer to your question is relevant at this point. It doesn't sound like this situation is likely to be solved by being able to say, "Yup, it turns out I was officially right."

If it were me, and there was any question about what the answer was (i.e. if the answer isn't clearly stated in the rules on hand, and I hadn't already seen an official ruling), I'd err on the side of the least nasty consequences, but tell them I'd ask for an official ruling for next time.

Last edited by Mister Ed; 01-13-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
goodbunny2000

Any friend not worth losing in a Munchkin game, is not worth having at all.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #6
mitch-john

its not the game so much as the loss of the freind, more of the way he reacted, cussing at me and stuff. i was just wondering what you guys thought about the card and the situtation the card was played in.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

If the card was played before he started to roll the die, then the Curse would affect that roll. For what it's worth, you were correct, if the timing was exactly as you stated it.

As a metagame matter, maybe y'all could agree to settle rule disputes in the moment with rock-paper-scissors or something other than arguing. If I had to choose between losing friends or losing a game, I'd lose the game every time.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #8
emillang1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
If the card was played before he started to roll the die, then the Curse would affect that roll. For what it's worth, you were correct, if the timing was exactly as you stated it.
So first you "Declare Run Away", then give everyone a chance to do something before you "Run Away"? That does make the most sense, but doesn't seem to indicate that anywhere in the rules (I'm looking at the newest version)

Is there a diagram or specific subdivision of the turn structure somewhere, listing all the phases and steps therein for those of us who are so inclined to study them?
Old 01-13-2012, 05:59 PM   #9
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by emillang1000 View Post
So first you "Declare Run Away", then give everyone a chance to do something before you "Run Away"? That does make the most sense, but doesn't seem to indicate that anywhere in the rules (I'm looking at the newest version)
If you say you're about to Run Away and someone plays a card as soon as you do that affects your Run Away, then yes, it affects THAT Run Away. You aren't required to give them time to do so, but there will naturally be a small window of time just for game-mechanical reasons. ("Pass me that d6, would you? Oh, no reason, no reason at -- RUNNING AWAY NAO!")

It doesn't say anything about it in the rules because there's no reason to. If the card hits before you roll, it affects that roll. Otherwise, it affects the next one.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:59 PM   #10
mitch-john

("Pass me that d6, would you? Oh, no reason, no reason at -- RUNNING AWAY NAO!")

made me laugh like crazy

Tags
munchkin zombies