Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-28-2012, 11:22 PM   #11
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Extra Eyes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Only, more eyes doesn't actually give any additional weak points, game-mechanically. Yes, there are more different eyes that an Eye hit location attack might strike, but the hit location is still the same modifier to hit, so that doesn't seem to do you any harm.
Eyes are extremely sensitive and while difficult to strike directly indirect attacks can cause major pain even if no real damage was delivered. Also, while below the resolution of GURPS combat, having eyes on your knees and elbows, on your thighs and your hands may sound like a good idea it does make it far easier to find an eye to gouge in combat, especially when you're trying to grapple or pin someone.

Also, more eyes placed around the skull, as might be expected with Peripheral Vision or 360 Vision, does give you more weak points. When your back is facing the enemy they can still attack one of your eye. Helmets become more difficult, and expensive, to make for you as well.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:24 PM   #12
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Eyes are extremely sensitive and while difficult to strike directly indirect attacks can cause major pain even if no real damage was delivered. Also, while below the resolution of GURPS combat, having eyes on your knees and elbows, on your thighs and your hands may sound like a good idea it does make it far easier to find an eye to gouge in combat, especially when you're trying to grapple or pin someone.
If it's below the resolution of GURPS combat, it isn't worth anything as a drawback to compensate for resistance to blinding.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:26 PM   #13
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Easy to Hit -20% would be the existing option for that. It's a modifier on Peripheral Vision or 360 Vision in Characters. If you happen to want a greater or lesser degree of increased vulnerability, I don't think there's anything canon.
One could probably extrapolate Easy to Hit out if they wanted to. And I'd use the rules under Extra Arms for applying Limitations as Disadvantages to the base two Arms to apply Easy to Hit to the base Eyes.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:39 PM   #14
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Easy to Hit -20% would be the existing option for that. It's a modifier on Peripheral Vision or 360 Vision in Characters. If you happen to want a greater or lesser degree of increased vulnerability, I don't think there's anything canon.
I guess I'll just go with Easy to Hit. That was my backup plan. Thanks, everyone!
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:49 PM   #15
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Here's an interesting creature, it has 4 eyes each on it's on stalk on top on the creatures head, as a 0-feture it trades a easier hit location for not being an exception to Skull DR and Over penetration is not a brain hit.

It also have Enhance Tracking 1 (crippable, -5%) where if you cripple any of the eye stalks you Cripple the Enhanced Tracking.

360 vision (must cripple 3 eye stalks before triggering one eye instead)

Back each eye can work independently with no depth perception. However any 2 can pair up to contract re to prove depth precept, and 2 differ pair can track 2 different object at the same time.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:31 AM   #16
lexington

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
having eyes on your knees and elbows, on your thighs and your hands may sound like a good idea
To who?

That kind of thing is probably well represented by Low Pain Threshold and Vulnerability (Attacks to Hands, Thighs, and Knees).
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:04 PM   #17
Humabout

Larger/Smaller Eyes has come up before. Here's a link to one post explainging a link to another post about this idea.

Having extra eyes is usually a feature, from what I've seen on the forums (as others have already said).

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:26 PM   #18
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
To who?

That kind of thing is probably well represented by Low Pain Threshold and Vulnerability (Attacks to Hands, Thighs, and Knees).
I don't see low pain threshold as applying at all.
It's simply another sensitive organ. You don't have to buy high pain threshold for not having eyeballs or fingers.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:30 PM   #19
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I don't see low pain threshold as applying at all.
It's simply another sensitive organ. You don't have to buy high pain threshold for not having eyeballs or fingers.
If you were having the eyes behave like human eyes, then I'd say that a limited form of Low Pain Threshold with an Accessibility or something to represent that it only affected certain parts of the body makes a lot of sense. You'd have to keep track of wound locations, maybe. I personally think the RAW as it is doesn't do enough to drive the point home that wounds to the eyes hurt. Blinding is bad and all, but if someone scratched my eye, I imagine that the pain would be so "blinding" (pun intended) that I wouldn't even be able to open my eye long enough to notice that I was temporarily blinded.

Tags
360 vision, extra eyes, hit location