Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-06-2009, 07:43 PM   #251
Ragitsu
Banned

Default Re: Examples of 4e Combat

Picture this:

A character on a bike, armed with a submachine gun versus a footbound character armed with an assault rifle/carbine.

That could make for an interesting combat example.
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:28 AM   #252
captaincomic

I'm new to GURPS and was reading your combat examples. Thanks for creating them, they are very helpful!

But I'm a little confused on how scopes work. (B412)

In your FAQ you write

Quote:
A variable-power scope set to "+3" would function identically to a fixed-power scope of +3;
This sounds like there is no difference at all between variable-power or fixed-power scopes.
Or does it mean you "set" the variable-power scope to a value at some point and then it behaves exactly like a fixed-power scope of that value? Say you have a variable scope of +5, but you set it at +3, so it behaves like a fixed-power scope of +3? I cannot see why it would work like this.

From B412 I read it differently. The fixed-power scope works like your example:

Quote:
Turn 1: Aim - get +6 for weapon Accuracy (total +6, no bonus from scope yet)
Turn 2: Aim - further +1 for Aiming (total +7)
Turn 3: Aim - further +1 for Aiming, +3 for scope (total +11)
Turn 4: Aim - no further bonuses, total bonus is +11
But if you had a variable-power scope of +3, I think it would work like this:
Turn 1: Aim - get +6 for weapon Accuracy, +1 from scope (total +7)
Turn 2: Aim - further +1 for Aiming, +1 for scope (total +9)
Turn 3: Aim - further +1 for Aiming, +1 for scope (total +11)
Turn 4: Aim - no further bonuses, total bonus is +11

So the result after 3 or more turns of aiming would be the same, but it you only aim for 1 or 2 turns the variable-power scope is better. And you don't need to set the variable-power scope in advance, just aim for as many turns as you like at get the bonus.
captaincomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:23 AM   #253
mook

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincomic View Post
I'm new to GURPS and was reading your combat examples. Thanks for creating them, they are very helpful!
Welcome to GURPS CaptainComic! I'm glad you found the examples helpful.

Quote:
But I'm a little confused on how scopes work.
You're not alone! :) Scopes are addressed in the Basic Set, High-Tech, Gun Fu, and Tactical Shooting - but in none of those books is there an official, turn-by-turn example. You'll need to decide for your own group which way to handle variable-power scopes.

One interpretation is the one you posted, i.e., variable-power scopes provide a +1 bonus per turn of Aim, up to their max. This is of course perfectly playable, and many others share this view.

The second interpretation is that variable-power scopes differ from fixed-power only in the fact that they can be adjusted. A +9 variable-power scope used at, say, +5 magnification is functionally equivalent to a +5 fixed-power scope (and so does not provide an incremental bonus).

After much discussion, this was the interpretation I decided on as RAW (Rules As Written) for the examples, primarily for two reasons:
  • The text of page B412 says, "With a fixed-power scope, you must aim for at least as many seconds as the scope's bonus. With a variable-power scope, you may Aim for fewer seconds, but this reduces your bonus by a like amount." It does not explicitly say that variable-power scopes provide a +1/turn bonus, that has just been the most common interpretation.
  • In a "real world" sense, a variable-power scope really is functionally the same as a fixed-power scope. The only difference is that it has a little dial that can be adjusted to change magnification. Personally I don't see that justifying a per-turn bonus - the variable-power scope isn't doing anything differently in combat, from second-to-second, than a fixed-power scope would. Possibly in a game with Ultra-Tech equipment, where a scope might reasonably have the ability to auto-focus and independently change magnification, I might make an exception.
As far as I'm aware there's never been an official ruling one way or the other. It really does come down to personal preference, and both choices are completely playable.

Again, welcome to GURPS, and to the forums. The community here is amazingly helpful, we're all happy to help with any questions at all so ask away!
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:19 PM   #254
captaincomic

Quote:
In a "real world" sense, a variable-power scope really is functionally the same as a fixed-power scope. The only difference is that it has a little dial that can be adjusted to change magnification. Personally I don't see that justifying a per-turn bonus - the variable-power scope isn't doing anything differently in combat, from second-to-second, than a fixed-power scope would. Possibly in a game with Ultra-Tech equipment, where a scope might reasonably have the ability to auto-focus and independently change magnification, I might make an exception.
Yes, actually this does make more sense. I just didn't see where this was in the rules. I will play it like this.

As many are confused, you might add a note in the FAQ (or a link to your post, you explained it quite well).

Someone said in #84 that you need a ready maneuver to set the scope to a different value. Sounds like a good rule.

Quote:
The community here is amazingly helpful, we're all happy to help with any questions at all so ask away!
Indeed. It's really a great forum :)
captaincomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:26 PM   #255
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Someone said in #84 that you need a ready maneuver to set the scope to a different value. Sounds like a good rule.

Indeed. It's really a great forum :)
Yeah, something like you take a penalty to Per equal to the scope bonus for target acquisition, but then you "get it back" when aiming. High mags imply tight cones of visibility.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:05 AM   #256
Lord Azagthoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Yeah, something like you take a penalty to Per equal to the scope bonus for target acquisition, but then you "get it back" when aiming. High mags imply tight cones of visibility.
That's why a sniper aims with both eyes open. Although one eye (for target acquisition) sees only in 2D while the other eye is fixed through the scope. Only when the trigger is pulled, the target acquisition eye closes for a brief moment.

I also think a scope should have a description on how long it takes to set it for the right distance. Some older German scopes even need special tools to adjust them and take alot of time to adjust them (for range en focus).

Dark Lord Azagthoth

Star Wars - TRPG
Lord Azagthoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:48 PM   #257
jaHenderson

In the close combat examples you have alot of use of the options from B357, but these should cost 1FP every time.
jaHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #258
mook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaHenderson View Post
In the close combat examples you have alot of use of the options from B357, but these should cost 1FP every time.
Hello jaHenderson!

I gave the four Close Combat examples an admittedly quick look-over, I don't see any uses of extra effort that aren't prefaced with "Opts to spend X FP" ... do you remember any specific instances? ("Example 3, Turn 4", etc.)
mook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
examples, tutorial