Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-15-2008, 05:33 AM   #101
congo

Default Re: Examples of 4e Combat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander
Your Active Defences are unaffected by your own Deceptive Attacks. The Active Defences of your opponents suffer a -1 for every -2 penalty you take on your own attack.

I'm not sure that there's a page reference for this, it's just that there's nothing in the description of Deceptive Attack to suggest that your defences should suffer.
p370 says that: "For every -2 you accept to your own skill (...)" (not attack). And since Parrying is derived from your skill, that would mean that your Parry drops. Or am I missing something?
congo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 05:50 AM   #102
Lonewulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by congo
p370 says that: "For every -2 you accept to your own skill (...)" (not attack). And since Parrying is derived from your skill, that would mean that your Parry drops. Or am I missing something?
Generally, a penalty to skill won't affect parry, as far as I understand, unless the rules state otherwise. This is done for ease of play as much as anything else; after all, if you continually recalculate your parry or dodge after every single minus, the game will get decidedly unfun.
She'll bring in a murderous prize
~Blind Guardian

My Writing.com
Lonewulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:20 AM   #103
Lupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by congo
Yes you are, the books do not state anywhere that Deceptive attacks lower defenses!

The -2 to your own skill is *just for that attack*, not for parries, other skill uses or whatever (for example, if you deceptively attack for -4 to skill, and later during your same turn an opponent tries to feint you, in following the contest of skill you use full skill, not skill -4).
Lupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:29 AM   #104
cursed

Close combat 3, on round 3:
Zach kicks:
Maneuver: All-Out Attack (Strong), Hit Location: Vitals, Lethal Strike (B404), Kick (Arthur)

But he injures his fist:
He suffers 1 HP of injury to his right hand, and a shock penalty of -1.

(Damage tells that it should be punch?)

-Cursed
Old 02-15-2008, 07:17 AM   #105
Mercator

In Ranged 3, turn 4, Zach suffers an Major Wound and rolls for Knockdown and Stunning. The roll should have a -5 because the Wound is in the Vitals (p. B420).

Cheers,
M.

Last edited by Mercator; 02-15-2008 at 07:32 AM.
Mercator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:55 AM   #106
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewulf
Generally, a penalty to skill won't affect parry, as far as I understand, unless the rules state otherwise. This is done for ease of play as much as anything else; after all, if you continually recalculate your parry or dodge after every single minus, the game will get decidedly unfun.

To build on this, the penalty for Deceptive attack is similar to penalties for hit location - drive attack skill changes only.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:20 AM   #107
congo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole
To build on this, the penalty for Deceptive attack is similar to penalties for hit location - drive attack skill changes only.
Not exactly. p398 Hit Location clearly states that : "Each location gives penalty to attack rolls to hit that location" (not skill!). I'm a little confused now, but ill keep searching for an answer.
congo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:02 PM   #108
mook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cursed
Close combat 3, on round 3:
[snip]
(Damage tells that it should be punch?)
Fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator
In Ranged 3, turn 4, Zach suffers an Major Wound and rolls for Knockdown and Stunning. The roll should have a -5 because the Wound is in the Vitals (p. B420).
Fixed (rats, thought I found all of those!).

Regarding the Deceptive Attacks affecting Parry, I don't think that's the case either, though I haven't found a specific citation. The closest I see is B421, talking about attribute reduction (not skills): "Defensive reactions that don't require a maneuver to perform - active defenses, resistance rolls, Fright Checks, etc. - never suffer penalties for attribute reductions."
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:49 PM   #109
Pesterfield

Close Combat 1, Turn 3. Won't Arthur have to change posture to punch the prone Zack?
Pesterfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:07 PM   #110
mook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesterfield
Close Combat 1, Turn 3. Won't Arthur have to change posture to punch the prone Zack?
At least according to Rules-As-Written, I don't think so - the only mention I see about having to change posture for combat is B370, saying you can't grapple an opponent who is prone unless you are kneeling or prone. (Again, this is from Basic only - I'm sure MA has expanded rules on this).
mook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
examples, tutorial