Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-19-2012, 11:14 PM   #1
Steven Marsh

Default Rituals Wanted!

(EDIT: The submission deadline has now passed. Thanks to everyone who participated! When I know who will be credited for what, I'll say so in this thread. --PK)

Rituals Wanted!
The ritual magic system from GURPS Monster Hunters 1: Champions has been so popular, we're expanding it into its own standalone GURPS supplement. And we need your help to complete our summoning . . .

In addition to greatly expanding and clarifying the system, GURPS Thaumatology: Ritual Path Magic will include a collection of sample rituals to help mages do the impossible. We'd like your contributions for this chapter.

Rules
We're looking for rituals created using the Ritual Path Magic rules from GURPS Monster Hunters 1: Champions. Expanded details of what we're looking for and how to format it correctly are in this Microsoft Word file. There are also a few other rules to keep in mind:
  • Be familiar with SJ Games' style guide.
  • Be creative. This is not a supplement for Monster Hunters (although it'll work great for that), but a standalone magical expansion. Your rituals need not be tied to a monster-hunting cosmology, a modern timeframe, or anything else. (Again, see the ritual template file for more.)
  • Be original! All rituals must be your own original creation; do not adapt anything from literature, film, other games, etc.
Terms and Payment
All submissions become the property of Steve Jackson Games. All authors who have material accepted for GURPS Thaumatology: Ritual Path Magic will receive name credit in the supplement. In addition, the three contributors who provide the most and/or coolest submissions (at our sole discretion) will receive a PDF comp copy of the supplement via e23. If we receive so many awesome submissions that we can do a follow-up Pyramid article with the overflow, we'll follow the same process for them (name credit in that Pyramid issue for everyone, comp copies of that Pyramid issue for the three coolest).

Deadline and Contact Info
All submissions must be received by March 16, 2012. All submissions (and revisions, if needed) must be sent via e-mail to Jason "PK" Levine, with the subject line of "RPM Submission". Please attach one copy of the Word file, which should contain all of your rituals; do not submit them as plain text or use a separate Word document for each one. (If you think of more cool spells later, but still before the deadline, multiple submissions are fine.)

Last edited by PK; 03-19-2012 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Deadline extended
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:37 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Rituals Wanted!

Great news!
Quick question, can it use different Ritual Path skills?
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:42 PM   #3
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Great news!
Quick question, can it use different Ritual Path skills?
Please use the standard nine Path skills from MH1. The RPM supplement will offer support for variant Path skills, but we want to keep the spells chapter consistent, with no variants or house rules.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:45 PM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Please use the standard nine Path skills from MH1. The RPM supplement will offer support for variant Path skills, but we want to keep the spells chapter consistent, with no variants or house rules.
Ok, Thank you.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:35 AM   #5
tg_ambro

I'm glad to see that RPM is getting it's own book! Plus, I feel my noggin bursting with potential spells!

As an aside, the template is already very useful to me; One of the my players took a magician ally in my MH game, and I've tinkered with various formats for the spells. This template beats them all. So, I'll be taking a stab at this. :)

Check out my blog, Ambro's Brainwaves Pretend you have telepathy, read my thoughts!
tg_ambro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:13 AM   #6
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Please use the standard nine Path skills from MH1. (. . .)
I hear that. However, I thought that a book titled GURPS Thaumatology: Ritual Path Magic would be a stand-alone book, instead of it being tied to the specifics of Monster Hunters —for instance the magical interpretation of Kabbalah's Sephiroth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Hunters 1, p. 32
Each Path governs one aspect of reality, and has two names – a common one and a lesser-used, Sephirotic one:
I can see reasons for keeping with the structure of Path of Body, Path of Chance, Path of Energy, Path of Mind, etc; my point is that the common names of Monster Hunters' Path skills are broad in comparison to the Sephirotic ones.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+

Last edited by demonsbane; 01-20-2012 at 04:27 AM. Reason: grammar
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:20 AM   #7
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Marsh View Post
(. . .) In addition to greatly expanding and clarifying the system, GURPS Thaumatology: Ritual Path Magic will include a collection of sample rituals to help mages do the impossible.
Heck, now I can't wait for the release of this book!

Specially if it's going to be also useful for "generic pseudo-medieval fantasy mages".

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:08 AM   #8
Langy

Very cool! I'll be sure to come up with some Rituals and send them in. Definitely looking forward to this book.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:18 AM   #9
panton41

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post
Heck, now I can't wait for the release of this book!

Specially if it's going to be also useful for "generic pseudo-medieval fantasy mages".
I'd want it for a non-monster hunting urban fantasy.

I have a few ideas on that train of thought for possible rituals that I might submit.

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros

Last edited by panton41; 01-20-2012 at 06:26 AM.
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:32 AM   #10
Randyman

As it stands now, RPM is oriented toward "secret magic" settings, as the level of effect is currently based on "how big of a change from what Those-Not-In-The-Know expect" a given effect is. I think that it would take a modification of that part of RPM to make it fit an open magic setting.

Doable? Sure. Will we see it? Hopefully; a lot of people are interested in using RPM in a broader variety of settings.

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, ritual magic, ritual path magic, thaumatology