Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
tg_ambro

Default [DF] Racial enchantment limitation

Hello, it's been a while since I've seen your pretty faces.

After a gaming break I'm going to run a Dungeon Fantasy campaign. I've decided to forgo the normal enchantment system and use a variant of the metatronic generators found in Pyramid 46: Weird Science. I have most of the tweaks for the system worked out. But one problem remains.

I want to limit the power of some of the magic items the group gets, while also providing said items as saleable loot. In the first session, I'm thinking of having the boss monster be an infernal blooded, or something like that. I want him to have an item that grants him a couple points of DR (Force field) so that he can rock a cool, low-armored look while still shrugging off hits.

I just don't know how to do it. Because with the metatronic generator rules, you first build the ability and then convert it to an item with a cash charge. Because an ability with an accessibility limitation of "must be demon blooded" is free points for a demon and thus not legal, and I have no clue what a fair price would be. While its not a fair limit on an ability, I think it would be fair for an item. Another idea I had would be to give it an Unhollines power modifier, but that only allows me to ignore my problem

So, my question is, What is the fair cost for a "Race only" accessibility limitation?

Check out my blog, Ambro's Brainwaves Pretend you have telepathy, read my thoughts!
tg_ambro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: [DF] Racial enchantment limitation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg_ambro View Post
So, my question is, What is the fair cost for a "Race only" accessibility limitation?
If designing it as an ability means designing it as a power in GURPS: It modifiers the "can be stolen" limitation on a device, changing it to "Can be stolen, won't work". This reduces the value of the limitation, so it's a net enhancement.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #3
tg_ambro

That's true, but I would like it to work for a broad class of people (a race in this instance) and want to do it with a minimum of hand waving. So, would one reverse the cost of half the "can be stolen" limitation (i'm thinking the DX or ST based theft one) and charge +15% for it in this design?

Check out my blog, Ambro's Brainwaves Pretend you have telepathy, read my thoughts!
Old 05-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
Refplace

I would just call it an accessability limitation based on how common the race is.
Escpeially among adventuring populace
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:49 PM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
That's true, but I would like it to work for a broad class of people (a race in this instance) and want to do it with a minimum of hand waving. So, would one reverse the cost of half the "can be stolen" limitation (i'm thinking the DX or ST based theft one) and charge +15% for it in this design?
It's still a limitation. Another foo can still steal and use the foobar. Anybody can steal it so you can't use it.

If we treat "halve the value of the limitation" as a +50% enhancement on the limitation, then "Won't work immediately for non-foos" is a +40% enhancement on the limitation.

Reduce the value of the Can be Stolen limitation by 40%.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #6
tg_ambro

It's been a long while since I've made any abilities. In what book can I find the rules for adding enhancements to limitations. I found the "add limitations to enhancements" box in Basic, but I'm not sure if I just reverse it or no.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
the_matrix_walker

Character points aside, DF 8 Treasure Tables P.52 gives...

"Race Restriction, Use. -0.75 CF"

Which reduces the cash value of enchantments to one quarter normal enchantment cost... is that what you're looking for?
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #8
the_matrix_walker

As for CP costs for Gadgets, Modifying the "can be stolen" Limitation seems like a good idea.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:41 PM   #9
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
After a gaming break I'm going to run a Dungeon Fantasy campaign. I've decided to forgo the normal enchantment system and use a variant of the metatronic generators found in Pyramid 46: Weird Science. I have most of the tweaks for the system worked out. But one problem remains.
Neat.

Quote:
I want to limit the power of some of the magic items the group gets, while also providing said items as saleable loot. In the first session, I'm thinking of having the boss monster be an infernal blooded, or something like that. I want him to have an item that grants him a couple points of DR (Force field) so that he can rock a cool, low-armored look while still shrugging off hits.

I just don't know how to do it. Because with the metatronic generator rules, you first build the ability and then convert it to an item with a cash charge. Because an ability with an accessibility limitation of "must be demon blooded" is free points for a demon and thus not legal, and I have no clue what a fair price would be. While its not a fair limit on an ability, I think it would be fair for an item. Another idea I had would be to give it an Unhollines power modifier, but that only allows me to ignore my problem.

I suppose you could work it up as a limitation - I'd peg it at about -40%. That side I'd think about a Cost Factor instead of using a limitation. Something similar to Bane:

Only a specific nation, religion, or creature/race: -0.2 CF.
Only against people of a specific city or region: -0.4 CF.
Only for members of a specific family or bloodline: -0.6 CF.
Only for one specific person or creature: -0.8 CF.

That's off the top of my head of course and would probably need to be playtested.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, enchanted items, enchantment